Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Whats in your computer?

Quote Originally Posted by InfamousDX View Post
    computers and good investments in the same [email protected]#$ does not compute

Quote Originally Posted by eNder View Post
    ended up upgrading my ram since the p5ne-sli board seemed to be frying my sticks. ended up with an nforce 680i sli mobo with 8 gigs of a-data ddr2-800mhz . that's the max the mobo can take.
    i had a p5ne-sli like 2 years ago... shit was fkn awful

i don't think i will ever go back to nvidia chipsets, especially after the p5n-d which was a piece of garbage. i can't wait to get on the x58 chipset with my new i7 but i still got some things to collect first. i'm starting to think SSD for a boot drive... because the P6T has express gate

Quote Originally Posted by Siegler View Post
    how is the gtx260 as far as heat go with you?
    dude ..it's a fucking bitch in heat. definitely need a good fan pointing at it. before i had a90mm fan pointed directly at it that pushed a good amount of air directly on the gfx card. Then when i switched to the antec 300 i had a weak 120mm fan point at it that didnt push as much air and the gfx card kept over heating. That's why i have that insane 120mm fan that's pushing 133cfm directly onto the card. That took care of overheating it...but the high buzzing sound from a fan pushing that much air can get a bit annoying. I just turn up my volume when im gaming.

after playing sc2 the temp is about 70c haven't had a chance to marathon it.

Pun was here.

Quote Originally Posted by EXCellR8 View Post

i don't think i will ever go back to nvidia chipsets, especially after the p5n-d which was a piece of garbage. i can't wait to get on the x58 chipset with my new i7 but i still got some things to collect first. i'm starting to think SSD for a boot drive... because the P6T has express gate
    ssd is overhype in my opinion for desktops. You won't be utilizing the read speeds from a SSD. Now if you were running a database for whatever reason..you'd be smoking. But a ssd just so you can boot up faster doesn't justify the price imho.

Pun was here.

yea that's when i bought the p5ne ..then i finally said enough is enough. I've had luck with the evga nforce 680i..nvidia chipset isn't so bad.

Pun was here.

JURO
    Old Bridge, New Jersey/West Virginia University

got the Aurora yesterday, that thing is beastly huge.

dude ..it's a fucking bitch in heat. definitely need a good fan pointing at it. before i had a90mm fan pointed directly at it that pushed a good amount of air directly on the gfx card. Then when i switched to the antec 300 i had a weak 120mm fan point at it that didnt push as much air and the gfx card kept over heating. That's why i have that insane 120mm fan that's pushing 133cfm directly onto the card. That took care of overheating it...but the high buzzing sound from a fan pushing that much air can get a bit annoying. I just turn up my volume when im gaming.

after playing sc2 the temp is about 70c haven't had a chance to marathon it.
    Haha, mine too. My gtx275 only overhears during sc2 with a great airflow case with a 240mm fan on it and about 80degrees ambient temp in my room. I wonder if nvidias newer cards have the same problem. I defiantly want to go ati next so I can monitor temps easier.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TeRRoRiFiC35 View Post
    got the Aurora yesterday, that thing is beastly huge.
    I was pricing one out today, may be getting one later this week.

What was the turn around from order - door

Post pics to

ssd is overhype in my opinion for desktops. You won't be utilizing the read speeds from a SSD. Now if you were running a database for whatever reason..you'd be smoking. But a ssd just so you can boot up faster doesn't justify the price imho.
    i wouldn't get a big SSD, just big enough for a few operating systems. you can get a 30-40GB for around $100 now but the whole idea is a complete afterthought. i would only get one if i got a good deal on it, otherwise I'm set.

yea that's when i bought the p5ne ..then i finally said enough is enough. I've had luck with the evga nforce 680i..nvidia chipset isn't so bad.
    i had more blue screens than i could count on the 650i and 680i chipsets, along with their shitty drivers

Quote Originally Posted by Siegler View Post
    Haha, mine too. My gtx275 only overhears during sc2 with a great airflow case with a 240mm fan on it and about 80degrees ambient temp in my room. I wonder if nvidias newer cards have the same problem. I defiantly want to go ati next so I can monitor temps easier.
    try applying some better thermal... sc2 isn't really that GPU-intensive so your card shouldn't be overheating. are you sure it's the card and not your processor? the game relies on cpu power a lot more than graphics, but if you are sure it's the card, def look into some better paste or a different cooler before you decide to upgrade.

try applying some better thermal... sc2 isn't really that GPU-intensive so your card shouldn't be overheating. are you sure it's the card and not your processor? the game relies on cpu power a lot more than graphics, but if you are sure it's the card, def look into some better paste or a different cooler before you decide to upgrade.
    Maybe you're right. When I played SCII beta, I would get pixelation all over my screen after about 10-15min of playing. Once I upgraded to the HAF case, that appeared to have gone away. Now that SCII is out, I just get this wierd white flash on the bottom right of my screen every minute or so. The hottest I've seen my cpu was at 47ºC during gaming, and thats with the zalman CNPS9900 heatsink, so that's why I thought it was my GPU.
    Last edited by Siegler; 08-06-2010 at 01:51 PM.

Shoot my 9800gtx OC'd hits 62c during gaming and doesn't show any of the issues you're having Sieg on games (im also playing on a lower res too though). Had to switch to some better drivers from xtreme since the most up to date from nvidia immediately started locking up crysis 2.

Quote Originally Posted by sfd View Post
    Shoot my 9800gtx OC'd hits 62c during gaming and doesn't show any of the issues you're having Sieg on games (im also playing on a lower res too though). Had to switch to some better drivers from xtreme since the most up to date from nvidia immediately started locking up crysis 2.
    I thought graphics cards typically run hotter than cpu's in general

you can't compare different cards meng... some run hot and some run cooler.

and yes, most graphics cards will run hotter than most processors

my GPU idles at 60. its also 90 degrees ambient temp

60c isn't bad for mid-tower and air cooling.

right now it's 66F in my room (which is crazy low) and my GPU is sitting 45c

My EAH4870 is at 45c just after minimizing league of legends to post this. That is with the fan on half. It gets up in the high 50s under load. My 4870 is one of the worst designed cards as far as heat dissipation goes. It was the highest performance 4870 but had the same cooling system as a card with half the power, thing would almost overheat when idling.

This thing is the best investment I have made since building my rig:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835192007

Cheap, and it will keep ANY video card cold. Read the review by Ian, thats me. You can modify this frame to fit two large fans on it, and blast huge amounts of air right on the GPU.
    "those are gay as fuck." - FknTkn

"Thanks for your input FknTkn." - Kingkodo

"no prob man." - FknTkn

This could be another option:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-081-_-Product

Looks like it would do the job quite nicely.
    "those are gay as fuck." - FknTkn

"Thanks for your input FknTkn." - Kingkodo

"no prob man." - FknTkn

is your video card 'open' or does it have a closed plastic piece on it?

mine is fully closed xfx gts250
    i think im gunna go through the comp today and see what i can move around or do to drop the temps a little. im bored lol

i've collected some parts for an HTPC build. i've wanted to build a system using the little micro cases but i never got around to it. bought a thermaltake lanbox lite and the asus P5G41C-M motherboard

bought a few other little oddities to go with it but since i can't seem to get rid of my other 4870 and RAM, i will be reusing them when i swap in the i7 stuff. this little rig will also have my Q6600 and possibly some DDR3 RAM. i was gonna liquid cool it just for the challenge but between rebuilding my main system and this i think i have my work cut out for me already. gonna be a crazy weekend

hmmmmm think im gunna find an sli board after all

Quote Originally Posted by battousai View Post
    Looks like Nvidia just released their road map.

Originally Posted by engadget
    Not a lot of details to be had, but NVIDIA wants you to know Fermi isn't the company's be-all, end-all GPU -- "hundreds of engineers" are already hard at work on Codename Kepler, expected to go to production this year and ship in 2011. Kepler's based on a 28nm process, we're told, and will thankfully deliver an estimated 3 to 4 times the performance per watt compared to Fermi, and hopefully run cool. If you built your last PC to last, however, you might wait for Maxwell in 2013, supposedly bringing a sixteen-fold increase in parallel graphics-based computing just two years after that, including advanced features like the ability to autonomously process some content independent of a CPU.

Update: Does this roadmap mean we should expect new GPUs from NVIDIA every two years? Jen-Hsun Huang wouldn't commit to that, but said that there will be "mid-life kicker" product launches in-between each new NVIDIA chip to keep the wheels turning.

that's just a projection... literally and figuratively

AMD and Intel have similar charts, showing the advancements of their CPU/GPU technology. whether or not they are accurate always remains to be seen. it's interesting to see what they are speculating though; it seems the odd years are going to see new GPUs again and again.

yeah but a 28nm would be sick

I can post my rig now...>YAY<

Intel i7-930 at 2.8GHZ
    Gigabyte X58A-UD3R
    MSI GTX480
    6GB OCZ DDR3 1600
    500 GB HDD

i dropped the VC temps by 10 degrees from replacing the thermal compound.
    also put a fan in the top of the comp to get some heat out. cleaned everything real good. running like a champ still.. there was so much dust and stuff.

Upgraded a few parts i my current rig.

MSI Big Bang Xpower Motherboard sata 6gb/s and USB 3.0
    Intel Core i7 950 3.06ghz quad @ 4.1ghz HT on 1.4v
    Coolit Vantage water cooler for cpu
    Western Digital Velocciraptor 10k rpm 300gb OS drive

old stuff
    3 Barracuda 7200.10 storage drives
    8 GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 Ram 8-8-8-24
    2 Nvidia 8800 ultras in SLI
    Nvidia 9800gt for dedicated Physx card
    oh and the 1200watt PSU

Ill post some pics when I get home from work travel