Thread: Please help a newbie with his 2k1 LS

hi i've just bought my 2001 ls couple months ago and I feel the need to make it faster. No matter how hard I try, it seems i can't beat my friends' 99 civic si, 2002 celica gts or 2k2 rsx base... They mock my ls for being the slowest. Can you guys tell me what I should do to my car to improve performance? Im looking for mods that isn't hard to install... I have around 800 to spend for mods and I don't really want turbos or vtec conversion. Please help a noob T_T beat his jackass friends.

u could start off w/ the basic bolt ons, i/h/e will eat up that 800 bucks though. throw on some more aggressive cams after that, for another 800 bucks and you should be beating them.

dude it all depends on what your friends have. i have a friend who is always trying too keep up with me on engine mods. every time he buys something to keep up i do to and i still stay one up on him. but i would try your basic engine mods. intake, exhaust, and headers. you might be able to pick those up for about 800. :smile: :cool: :cool:

Believe it or not, LS's have been known to have good all-motor setups. Crower makes really good cams for the non-vtec motor (the 62403 cams i believe). A friend has a built n/a LS motor and it screams, his last run was a 14.7, and his setup is type-r injectors, crower cams, crower springs and retainers, fpr, s-afc, cam gears, and i/h/e. That whole setup probably costs upwards of 2g, but start off with the basic bold-ons and build on top of that. Good luck.
    -- '01 YZF R6 -- hit/wrecked 12/20/04
    -- '01 YZF R1 -- Scary
    -- '97 ITR #110 --

On 2002-04-25 02:54, 92TypeR wrote:
    Believe it or not, LS's have been known to have good all-motor setups. Crower makes really good cams for the non-vtec motor (the 62403 cams i believe). A friend has a built n/a LS motor and it screams, his last run was a 14.7, and his setup is type-r injectors, crower cams, crower springs and retainers, fpr, s-afc, cam gears, and i/h/e. That whole setup probably costs upwards of 2g, but start off with the basic bold-ons and build on top of that. Good luck.
    listen to this man if ur lookin to go all motor ot turbo ur better off with an ls :grin:
    max sig height is 180 pixels

all i know is an ls is the way to go if ur lookin to run boost to it. or u can even trow a gsr head on ur ls block, then ur car should move real good
    max sig height is 180 pixels

The answer to that is very simple my friend. Do what one of mah boyz did. 60 shot NOS. My boy blows the GT-S and screws around with the SI's. I forgot who said it but it is true. LS motors have a 9.2:1 compression ratio and it handles boost very good. If you don't want to go with Turbo, I suggest that you can a nitrous system (DRY). Costs about $700 installed. I think, don't quote me on that. But I do know that it will be uner 8 bills. Just do what you gotta do to win. That's what I think. I hope that I was some hope to you and I hope that you get back at them and suprise them one day.
    ~ PeDaL DoWn, PeELiN' OuT!!! ~

~ ALwAyS KeEp GiXeR In YoUr HeArT AnD PrAyErS ~

yup a N20 system in your case looks like the easiest answer the I/H/E setup will eat up yout 800 and you will not be that much faster. A N20 system will run you about you 800 installed, just make sure you learn how to use it first. If you dont know what your doing with it it can be very very ugly. I think there is a Zex Kit that is controled by a computer linked to the TPS. You jsut activate the kit and the computer determines how much N20 to spray based upon throttle position. That seams easy enought to me. But im no N20 expert so do your homework....

Turbo that thing man, LS motors respong very well to FI, your best bet for consecutive power.

On 2002-04-29 13:20, toxik co2 wrote:
    Turbo that thing man, LS motors respong very well to FI, your best bet for consecutive power.
    i mean, turbo is most certainly the best bet that you have for the LS model, considering the fact that the LS motor has a low 9.2:1 compression ratio and can take a lot of boost. But "2k1" did state that he only had $800 and that he didn't want to take the extreme measures such as turbo. "2k1," if I were you, I would wait and save enough money for the turbocharger. It is your car and you are allowed to do whatever you want. Save and get turbo, if you can't wait and you have to smoke the sh*t out of your mocking friends, then get the nitrous. But remember one thing and I'm only going to say it once. Your car is like a baby, it need love, money, and patience. I hope that I was some help, even though I feel like i'm trying to persuade you into getting a turbo.
    ~ PeDaL DoWn, PeELiN' OuT!!! ~

~ ALwAyS KeEp GiXeR In YoUr HeArT AnD PrAyErS ~

nawz it. if u blow it, oh well. ls motors are cheap :smile:

Absolutely, positively, defiantly, Nitrous Oxide. You can have the kit and installation for $500-$800 depending what brand you buy. Get anywhere between a 50-75 shot. These kits are designed for factory motors so IMO this would be the best bang for your buck possible.
    If I were you I would challenge the friends that are making fun of you to a friendly race for some cash. Don't tell them you got the Nitrous installed. Then watch their faces as you fly by them with the push of a button. After, you'll have some cash in your pocket and your friends will be talking about how YOU’RE the fastest now. (If you would be able to pull it off, I would try to make the bet close to 500 bucks. If you win, the Nitrous kit would have been practically free.)

Thread Information