Thread: 96 Integra replaced head gasket can't get cams to both line straight up

Default 96 Integra replaced head gasket can't get cams to both line straight up

1.8L non-VTEC. Before taking the head off, I lined up both arrows on the timing belt pulleys straight up for TDC. After replacing the head gasket, I put the head and cams back on, and they don't line up straight up. And also the black plastic piece behind the timing belt which attaches to the head (pointy part on the left side down), Sticks out but looks like it should tuck right in under the edge of the cams to make clearance for the timing belt. Any suggestions on how to get my cams to point straight up? TIA IMG_20150217_081236_208.jpg

First loose up the tension-er. push all the down. tighten the 14 mm nut. Try the T belt half way in on all the pulley ( just make easy that way). Now try to put the belt on, see will make that easier.

I got the timing belt on, it's just that the arrows don't line perfectly straight up, and they did when the pulleys came off. And I need a bit more tension on the belt. I was wondering how to straighten the arrows individually or how to do it properly. I handled the other issue also with the black cover piece.

Quote Originally Posted by kchiu View Post
    First loose up the tension-er. push all the down. tighten the 14 mm nut. Try the T belt half way in on all the pulley ( just make easy that way). Now try to put the belt on, see will make that easier.
    This is the best solution. I did mine last week and it goes well. I just hate the belt replacing part. Gives me a tough time doing it.

Thread Information