Thread: Intercooler Paint

Default Intercooler Paint

My friends about to boost his civic..its murdered out, black car, black rims, 5% tint..and his front mount is silver..could we paint it black using some hi-temp engine paint?

and he works at a body shop so he has a paint booth and virtually unlimited supply of equipment

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 7thgenV6coupe View Post
    My friends about to boost his civic..its murdered out, black car, black rims, 5% tint..and his front mount is silver..could we paint it black using some hi-temp engine paint?

and he works at a body shop so he has a paint booth and virtually unlimited supply of equipment

thanks
    Yes you can, I painted my intercooler and had zero problems with it! Just don't be stupid and paint like 5 coats.

Trained in the art of psi Krazed's Avatar
    My Boost technique is strong, you are no match!

well two things come to mind.
    1. why would you need high temp as an intercooler is cold. If its not it sucks.
    2. why would you make an intercooler black as that would hinder the ability to cool somewhat as black obviously absorbs heat... whiel it will probably not make enough of a change, just thought i would pont that out.

to answer you, yes you can paint it whatever you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Krazed View Post
    well two things come to mind.
    1. why would you need high temp as an intercooler is cold. If its not it sucks.
    2. why would you make an intercooler black as that would hinder the ability to cool somewhat as black obviously absorbs heat... whiel it will probably not make enough of a change, just thought i would pont that out.

to answer you, yes you can paint it whatever you want.
    yeah an intercooler is supposed to be cold...but the engine behind it..isn't..

I sprayed mine with a flat black and it has not hindered it ability to cool at all as far as I can tell anyway, and it blends really nice now people don't even notice it until I point it out.

I also painted mine a single coat of flat black. It doesn't hamper heat exchange.

Black absorbs heat when under light & heat source (sun, lamp, etc), but when not exposed to light, it sheds heat faster than any other color. Hence, the bottom of the space shuttle is painted black.

yes you can pain it ! There are some nice suggestion that help one to take care whiile painting.Sport Compact Car has almost said the same thing. Couple of years ago, they featured a group of sleeper cars, and tips on making your own. One of them was to spray your inter cooler black.It also says it is ok....

thats nice eh
    that blue paint looks the goods.
    looks like a good budget job

not so much right now, im planning on getting tuned very soon. Unitronics 630cc file on GT2871R turbo. Looking to make 400HP.

but i think im going to have to change my intercooler.

ALSO, I believe half of my intercooler being hidden behind the front bumper has alot to do with it heat soaking?

Thread Information