Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Off topic Health and Fitness Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Shaaaady View Post
    I can see how it could help, I just wouldn't imagine using it that way. Oh well.
    CLA isn't a fat burner...it just helps you maintain lean muscle mass during a cut.....dont see why it wouldnt help promote lean muscle during a bulk as well

Wing It On

Quote Originally Posted by cased_eclipse View Post
    If your name is Matt Demaske, you are a ******.
    fuckhead

Quote Originally Posted by P-SPEC View Post
    CLA isn't a fat burner...it just helps you maintain lean muscle mass during a cut.....dont see why it wouldnt help promote lean muscle during a bulk as well
    It says right on the bottle... "CLA has been shown to play a vital role in reducing body fat....".

I understand it is not a straight fat burner, as other supplements claim to be.

how does CLA actually work?
    "As you may or may not be aware, Sweden is not a state in the United States of America. Sweden is a country in northern Europe and US law does not apply here. ...It is the opinion of us and our lawyers that you are fucking morons." -- The Pirate Bay

Quote Originally Posted by Shaaaady View Post
    It says right on the bottle... "CLA has been shown to play a vital role in reducing body fat....".

I understand it is not a straight fat burner, as other supplements claim to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by nhlfan View Post
    how does CLA actually work?

Shaaady, CLA "reduces" body fat but not by thermogenesis...thus not making it a fat burner.

Nhlfan, CLA is a kind of "fake fat"...in that it basically tricks your body into thinking there is more available fat cells that need to be metabolized then there really are. It also limits fat accumulation in fat cells by inhibiting LPL, which is the enzyme that transfers fats from the bloodstream to the fat cells. At the same time it increases production of the enzyme CPT (basically carnitine), which is responsible for the transport of fatty acids into mitochondria....and if you know what mitochondria are then you know that this causes your body to use fat cells, not muscle cells as energy.....thus resulting in less fat and more muscle

Wing It On

Shaaady, CLA "reduces" body fat but not by thermogenesis...thus not making it a fat burner.

Nhlfan, CLA is a kind of "fake fat"...in that it basically tricks your body into thinking there is more available fat cells that need to be metabolized then there really are. It also limits fat accumulation in fat cells by inhibiting LPL, which is the enzyme that transfers fats from the bloodstream to the fat cells. At the same time it increases production of the enzyme CPT (basically carnitine), which is responsible for the transport of fatty acids into mitochondria....and if you know what mitochondria are then you know that this causes your body to use fat cells, not muscle cells as energy.....thus resulting in less fat and more muscle
    Bingo, just about everythin I read about CLA says the same thing. And even though it may not be a problem for naturally small guys, even the cleanest bulk will result in putting on extra pounds of fat which is what CLA helps prevent. Im pretty much just using it to make my cut that much easier in a few months.

gotcha
    "As you may or may not be aware, Sweden is not a state in the United States of America. Sweden is a country in northern Europe and US law does not apply here. ...It is the opinion of us and our lawyers that you are fucking morons." -- The Pirate Bay

FUCK. so a month+ into my bulk im seeing a lot more definition, but im exactly the same weight (188). I've been eatin almost a lb of meat a day, protein shakes, moderate amount of carbs/fats and working my ass off in the gym lifting 4x a week and cardio 1-2 times. Where am I goin wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by supratt232 View Post
    FUCK. so a month+ into my bulk im seeing a lot more definition, but im exactly the same weight (188). I've been eatin almost a lb of meat a day, protein shakes, moderate amount of carbs/fats and working my ass off in the gym lifting 4x a week and cardio 1-2 times. Where am I goin wrong?
    Take in 1 gram of protein per lb of your body weight, and 3g of carbs per lb of body weight. You might be a hard gainer. How many calories are you putting away daily? How many of those calories from from fats? Carbohydrates? Proteins?

You gotta take in more calories than you burn. Do a little math and figure it out. You can nutritional stats on just about any food out there. Do some research on how much energy you burn while doing a short high intensity weight training session, or how much enery you use running 3 miles in x ammount of time. It should give you a good ballpark to see why you aren't gaining weight. If you bulking, I would reccomend suspending your cardio. You can get a great cardiovascular workout by weight training alone.

Well my daily diet goes somethin like this:

Breakfast: multi grain cheerios w/ fat free milk, oatmeal w/ milk and protein powder, multi grain muffin w/ peanut butter, or just a banana if im in a hurry.

Mid morning: banana or eng. muffin w/ peanut butter

Lunch: burger no cheese, giant salad loaded with grilled chicken, or loaded deli sandwich on wheat

Dinner: something with atleast 1/2 lb of beef, chicken or turkey and usually a few veggies thrown in

GYM ~ 8 or 9

Protein shake post workout

A little more of whatever I had left over from dinner

Sleep

From that I can see I might be taking in too few carbs cuz if I had to guess Id be around 250 - 300 with most coming in in the morning. ur sayin I should be around 600?...

uhh where are all your fats?

usually just in the peanut butter or whatever cheese i throw in for dinner. Guess I need to eat a little less healthy

Edit: I also just started cookin with EVOO so I get a few grams of good fat from that
    Last edited by supratt232; 06-17-2008 at 08:41 PM.

your fats should always be over 100g a day. there are some fat supplements (oils) that you can purchase if that interests you.

well shit what do you guys get your fats from? My mom usually makes tuna with mayo so I know theres some good fats there... What else should I be lookin to include?

i like to eat a nice fatty breakfast...eggs, sausage, toast w/ butter,etc.......best time of the day to get your fats in.

Wing It On

i like to eat a nice fatty breakfast...eggs, sausage, toast w/ butter,etc.......best time of the day to get your fats in.
    true that and carbs

I munch on cashews/trail mix a lot. they're calorie dense as fuck, so watch how many you eat. I also mix it up by drinking some 1% milk, and save the skim for my shakes.

werd Ill take a look into some trail mix to munch on during the day. I figure that, the cheese, cooking everything with evoo and fats from meat should get me around where I need to be daily right? And just to be clear my muscles are getting bigger and im definitely getting stronger, but im staying the same weight. Id like to think im burning fat and gaining muscle at the same rate but thats just too good to be true...

if you're seeing more definition, then that's definitely what's happening. it's just not the most efficient way to do things. you're better off bulking at a slowish pace, and keeping the bodyfat under control, than actually trying to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time.

You'll probably be pretty close to where you need to be. there's nothing wrong with eating more though. try adding up your fats just for a day to see what it adds up to. I can't tell you exactly if it will be enough or not, I don't know your portion sizes.

I'm back on westside and loving it

Quote Originally Posted by nhlfan View Post
    I'm back on westside and loving it
    Ditto

I just got to start back up again after physical therapy. I had this weird pulled muscle in my back I had to get rid of.

You doing Westside Part 3?

This sig makes me feel 16 again.

Quote Originally Posted by 5spdIntegre View Post
    You doing Westside Part 3?

This sig makes me feel 16 again.

Thread Information