PDA

View Full Version : buying a car in the states and bringing it back?

Anonymous
01-28-2004, 05:43 PM
ive talked my dad into getting something new and exciting to replace my van when the lease runs out in a bit, im pushing for an evo, problem one we wont have them in canada till i think the end of this year, problem two our prices suck.

i dunno how the evo will compare when it comes, but the STI costs like 33 american and 48 canadian.

with the exchange rate going up like everyday, i figure once the lease runs out it could really be worth our while to buy there and drive um up here.

I know that you can do it, but i know the goverment tries to set it up so you dont. So youve got to pay duties on it right? i know if you stay in the states for like a 2 weeks or something you dont have to pay duty on whatever you buy, but does that count with cars?

so say you bought an evo for the like 32k (i think thats what i built mine 2 on there website).

add 6% for taxes in maine (where we would be buying it)
and thats 33920, now if you have to bring it accros the border and pay duties, thats only 39008 (15% taxes in NB).
is there anything else you have to pay?
cause 39k (like loaded) sounds better then the like 43k (base) they will be when they get here.

Anonymous
01-28-2004, 05:46 PM
nevermind, i forgot about the 20+ conversion rate, i guess it wouldnt work

b00sted24z
01-28-2004, 06:28 PM
the 2 week rule only works up to a certain limit. check the customs webpage. do your research before you jump in cause it would suck if it got detained at customs :-(

Harry
01-31-2004, 12:36 AM
If you buy an american car and bring it up here it won't likely be warrantied. GM and many other manufacturers won't honour the warranty because they don't want you to cross-border buy. Some of these Canadian dealerships like GM aren't even allowed to sell cars purchased from the states or they get heavily penalized, so just keep that in mind. It works both sides of the boarder too.

Anonymous
01-31-2004, 11:48 AM
diabolical :evil: