PDA

View Full Version : Double Clutching

sik lude
12-02-2003, 12:51 AM
How is it done? I have heard so many dif ways, but it was just from kids who dont know what they are talkin bout..anyone know? Is it bad for the car?

Anonymous
12-02-2003, 01:17 AM
It's just retarded, the only reason for double clutching is for truck drivers when they're downshifting. Basically its clutch in, shift to neutral, rev, clutch in, downshift, and clutch out with gas. It just helps to maintain a higher rpm after you're in your lower gear. There's no point in doing it on your 4 cylinder.

sik lude
12-02-2003, 02:41 PM
lol..u sure? cause remember in fast and the furious dom says " granny shiftin not double clutchin like ya should! "

I think u might have it right, but shiftin up instead of down..

RustRocket
12-02-2003, 08:47 PM
Dont listen to anything said in that movie :lol:

Subaru
12-02-2003, 11:17 PM
I always double clutch in my car :-? It's easier on the tranny IMO, not really any easier on the clutch disc though or TOB. But in anycase I always double clutch if it's a big jump in the rpms to whatever gear i'm changing into.

plus, rev matching sounds cool..

sik lude
12-03-2003, 06:18 PM
I always double clutch in my car :-? It's easier on the tranny IMO, not really any easier on the clutch disc though or TOB. But in anycase I always double clutch if it's a big jump in the rpms to whatever gear i'm changing into.

plus, rev matching sounds cool..

well how is it done?

HyperViper©
12-08-2003, 03:38 PM
I double clutch all the time!!! 99% of the time when I am downshifting tho, when I had the 1991 Integra, the gear ratio in that car was nuts, you could drive up to 5200Rpm, shift and your next gear was about 4800Rpm, the gears were so tight there was no need to double clutch, same with gearing down... But with my 93 Accord, In oder to get a sequential shift, or make it smooth,I have to bring it right up to 5000+Rpm.... therfore when I down shift, it jerks quite abit because of the gap between the gear ratios, so I can either double clutch and make it sound cool as well as smoother, or I can just let my clutch out slower and more gradually... but that is harder on the clutch... When I am racing, either the Teg or the Accord, I never doubleshifted....... it was waste of milliseconds because a car with low power and torque just loose's the rpm instantly anyway... and if you've ever dragged an automatic car, you can see where your shifting from gear to gear times can really slow you down! the only 1% I double clutch when shifting up gears, is when I am in 2nd --> 3rd because my intake sounds awesome when I floor it :D The ONLY logical reason I can see vin diesel saying you should have been double clutching is because when you are in a car such as the Toyota Supra, or any car for that matter pushing 300+ HP and LBS of Torque, Shifting gears then hitting the gas is slower... If you think about it, a car with that much power *can* be double clutched if you floor it then pop your clutch while moving, your going to get one hell of a boost rather then letting the clutch out then flooring it!! but thats just my guess.... anyways this is long enough....

HyperViper©
12-10-2003, 04:29 PM
and if you are wondering how I do it, if you are in say.... 4th, and going to gear down to 3rd, when you hit mid RPM range, push your clutch in, shift into 3rd, tap your gas to pull your RPMs up again to about the same RPM your car normally would be at your current speed in 3rd gear... sounds kind of confusing, and it takes practice, but when you do get it, it should be a smooth transition from 4th to 3rd without having to baby the clutch, it will also sound really cool... I mainly use it to slow me down without breaking, it also keeps your engine in a higher rpm so if you wanted to take off around a corner you could! where as using your brakes you either have to clutch, or slow down in gear

Teg Dreams
01-08-2004, 10:22 AM
SIK LUDE Post pics of your car

Anonymous
01-08-2004, 07:58 PM
and if you are wondering how I do it, if you are in say.... 4th, and going to gear down to 3rd, when you hit mid RPM range, push your clutch in, shift into 3rd, tap your gas to pull your RPMs up again to about the same RPM your car normally would be at your current speed in 3rd gear... sounds kind of confusing, and it takes practice, but when you do get it, it should be a smooth transition from 4th to 3rd without having to baby the clutch, it will also sound really cool... I mainly use it to slow me down without breaking, it also keeps your engine in a higher rpm so if you wanted to take off around a corner you could! where as using your brakes you either have to clutch, or slow down in gear

That's rev matching, not double clutching