PDA

View Full Version : LS/VTEC or Type R swap?



TegBoarder
03-26-2002, 11:15 AM
What would be better in the long run, an LS/VTEC conversion, that I will do myself, or an engine swap? The long run will probably be a cheap-ass turbo pulled off of a car that comes standard with a turbo, intake, headers, blah, blah, blah. If I did go for an engine swap, what engine? Thanks for the help.

Outsider GSR
03-26-2002, 11:49 AM
I wouldn't reccomend doing a ls/vtec conversion unless you know what you are doing (i.e. previous experience). Done incorrectly will cause a very short lifespan of the motor. What type of engine do you have now?

GEN2LSINTEGRA
03-26-2002, 02:16 PM
Do you work on engines regular basis? If so and you know what you are doing you can do the ls/vtec. But I suggest just doing a type R engine swap cause you will get more power. The ls/vtec swap will add an extra 25+ to the already 140hp stock.

TegBoarder
03-27-2002, 01:08 AM
How much horse is a type r

TegBoarder
03-27-2002, 01:08 AM
B18A

Toda Party
03-27-2002, 02:39 AM
On 2002-03-27 01:08, TegBoarder wrote:
How much horse is a type r



[email protected] 8000
130 ft-lb @ 7,500

B20GSR
03-27-2002, 04:42 AM
Ever consider a B20-VTEC conversion?
On B20Z2 stock inturnals and a stock GSR VTEC head you'll pull close to 220hp and above 170 ft/lbs of tourque if not more. :smile:

TegBoarder
03-27-2002, 11:07 AM
On 2002-03-27 02:39, Toda Party wrote:


On 2002-03-27 01:08, TegBoarder wrote:
How much horse is a type r



[email protected] 8000
130 ft-lb @ 7,500



Yummi

And to B20GSR, yea, I've considered it, I think I asked you about it in the post about putting a H22 in a 92 Teg. How much did it cost, total, labor and parts.

Outsider GSR
03-27-2002, 12:36 PM
With a B18A I would just save up and get a Drag 2 turbo kit. I've seen people dyno at 8 lbs of boost around 230hp with stock internals. Good luck

B20GSR
03-27-2002, 02:08 PM
On 2002-03-27 12:36, Outsider GSR wrote:
With a B18A I would just save up and get a Drag 2 turbo kit. I've seen people dyno at 8 lbs of boost around 230hp with stock internals. Good luck


Hey, I'm not knockin' the turbo Idea, but I've seen alot of fried LS motors because of running boost on the stock inturnals. Just be careful. I would recomend you upgrade the internals first, especially the rods because they always go first.
Running a turbo on a B18A1 (90-93) with out upgradeing is dangerous because the motor more than likely has 150,000-220,000 miles on it already. The order that your internals will go is like this:
1.)Connecting Rods
2.)Piston rings or Main Bearings
3.)Piston
4.)Cracked Cylinder wall
5.)Rare but possable- Broken crank

Just be careful and reaserch all possable problems before you just slap something together, trust me I build these engiens all the time. :wink:

_________________
Japanise ride, American pride.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: B20GSR on 2002-03-27 14:10 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: B20GSR on 2002-03-27 14:11 ]</font>

Outsider GSR
03-27-2002, 04:24 PM
On 2002-03-27 14:08, B20GSR wrote:


Hey, I'm not knockin' the turbo Idea, but I've seen alot of fried LS motors because of running boost on the stock inturnals. Just be careful. I would recomend you upgrade the internals first, especially the rods because they always go first.
Running a turbo on a B18A1 (90-93) with out upgradeing is dangerous because the motor more than likely has 150,000-220,000 miles on it already. The order that your internals will go is like this:
1.)Connecting Rods
2.)Piston rings or Main Bearings
3.)Piston
4.)Cracked Cylinder wall
5.)Rare but possable- Broken crank

Just be careful and reaserch all possable problems before you just slap something together, trust me I build these engiens all the time. :wink:

_________________
Japanise ride, American pride.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: B20GSR on 2002-03-27 14:10 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: B20GSR on 2002-03-27 14:11 ]</font>



Yeah, I didn't take the mileage aspect into account. :grin: But before you take on any type of project that is going to up the hp on your car, make sure the motor is in good condition.

TegBoarder
03-27-2002, 04:26 PM
8 PSI on stock internals, I thought the most that a GS would handle is 7. Even the new Greedy Turbo kits for the GS-R only run 7 PSI. Well, here's the deal. I'm losing oil, somewhere in my car, I don't know where, but I am. It seems like every two weeks I'm down to a quart. So, if there is a problem in the head, I'll rebuild a VTEC head and have someone do the conversion for me. If it's in my block, I'll just go for a Type-R, since I'll have to pull the engine out anyway. I wouldn't mind doing the B20 version, but that is alot of money, money I could use on a turbo from a Mitubishi. Thanks for all the help. Oh, and what is the fuel controller you use B20GSR? Did you say I can also use it as my ECU for the VTEC?

P.S. I have about 133.5K on my engine.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TegBoarder on 2002-03-27 16:29 ]</font>

GEN2LSINTEGRA
03-27-2002, 04:34 PM
if you are going to do the ls/vtec conversion go with a gsr ecu. I'm get a gsr ecu and having the ls/vtec swap done but i'm also on my second engine that only has about 80k on it. I'm also planing for a supercharger to be add later after I do more internals.

Hybrid Hatch
03-27-2002, 09:44 PM
everyone knows my vote..... LSVTec :grin: :grin:

epy
03-28-2002, 01:26 AM
On 2002-03-27 04:42, B20GSR wrote:
Ever consider a B20-VTEC conversion?
On B20Z2 stock inturnals and a stock GSR VTEC head you'll pull close to 220hp and above 170 ft/lbs of tourque if not more. :smile:



What is a ballpark price quote on this conversion?