PDA

View Full Version : worth to turbo/supercharge/convert to vtec?

Jisecup
05-02-2002, 11:26 PM
Ok my teg has 95K on it and everything is good, but i was wondering if it would be worth it to put a turbo or a supercharger on it? or which would be better?
Maybe even ls/vtec? I'm just wanting to know wether or not it would be worth it to put/do something like this with my car aproaching 100K, and if that will even effect it.

Toda Party
05-03-2002, 04:24 AM
yes

El Jefe
05-03-2002, 06:27 AM
you need to list what you want your car to do, how much you have to spend and how much you can afford to maintain the car. so many details needed yet such a vague question.

Jisecup
05-04-2002, 11:19 AM
well ill say this, ill spend whatever i have to spend to make it fast.
It wont be untill this winter when i start to do this because im working on paying the last bit of it off.
How much hp would a turbo give it?
or superchared?

Triple_R
05-04-2002, 11:28 AM
Me, Im gonna throw a SuperCharger into my Civic EX. I already have VTEC and a turbo is to much maintenece. Oh and I have 107k miles on mine and the only thing wrong is the exhaust (it needs a new one) and the clutch (already got a new one). As long as you keep up with the maintenence (Timing belt,fluid change,etc.) these are good reliable little cars.

Jisecup
05-04-2002, 05:21 PM
well i take it that the turbo and supercharger add about the same power or no?
I change the oil, and get tunes up frequently, so thats no porblem.
I was gonna go with the ls/vtec but i have heard it would be better to go with a turbo or supercharger.
Aporx. how much more power would one of these give me?

Triple_R
05-05-2002, 02:11 AM
Well I can tell you that VTEC is indeed very usefull. I've raced and beaten Stock Integra LS' with my stock Civic EX just cuz of the VTEC. And considering that a Integra LS has 15 more hp thats a pretty good accomplishment. So, Yes I would recomend getting a VTEC head for your LS and making it a frankenstien. You can prolly find it cheaper USED than a Super or Turbo new. The only reason I want a Supercharger more than a b16 swap is cuz I don't want to screw around with ECU's and New fuel-lines etc. Trust me your LS with a VTEC head has more potential than my D16z, Get a VTEC head if you can find one cheap you'll smoke me and other Civics w/D16zs :grin:

Jisecup
05-05-2002, 03:16 PM
well i heard that the vtec is more to upkeep maybe?
which of the three is more reliable?

Triple_R
05-06-2002, 12:10 PM
The VTEC is fine and requires no maintence what so ever. My car is fine and when I first got it ,I used to shift when I hit 7000 rpm. Now I've calmed down and don't beat on my car. But the original reason I purchased this car (Civic/Integra) is because of the excellent reliability history so don't worry about the VTEC burning out or somthing. I'd get the VTEC head over the super or turbo cuz if and LS w/Supercharger went up against a D16z w/supercharger dont be surprised if you lose. Any I hope you get the VTEC head cuz that would be awsome.

http://images.geekazoids.net/tron_and_roll_with_a_civic_ex.jpg

gotnothing?
05-06-2002, 01:31 PM
Well, VTEC in itself is a reliable system, if that's what you're talking about, but that doesn't make the LS/VTEC setup necessarily reliable. It really is NOT as simple as 'hey, just slap a VTEC head on that!' If built properly, LS/VTEC can be a great setup, but the build-up is problematic and expensive. The LS block is beneficial for turbocharging, since the stock compression is slightly lower than a GSR or Type-R block. I prefer turbos to superchargers, since a turbo is nearly 100% efficient. Most superchargers that I've seen on Hondas will lose up to 30% of their power in parasitic losses. But, that's just a matter of personal preference. They can each be beneficial in their own way, and the price difference doesn't have to be very great between them.

If your motor is in good shape, there's no reason to worry about the fact that you're approaching 100k. Keep in mind that Honda motors (untouched) are expected to last over 200k. So it's not even middle-aged yet. :grin:

90lsteg
05-07-2002, 01:05 PM
well i don't know any civic "EX" that ever beat my teg when it was stock. just cause you have vtec doesn't mean that non-vtec is slower. personally i've beaten si's but of course my car isn't stock anymore. an ls has far more potential the people give it. my brother has a 95 ls turbo, and has 280hp with a stage 2c rev hard turbo. if you lookin for speed imo i'd go turbo cause it was more hp for the money. oh and my friend has and ls/vtec but threw a rod a month later. ls/vtecs are monster engines but only if built right, and on top of that it is far more maintenance.

Jisecup
05-07-2002, 08:11 PM
90lsteg... what kind of maint. are you talking about with the ls/vtec?

And about how much would either of these cost... (rough est.) ??

90lsteg
05-07-2002, 09:58 PM
the rev hard stage2c kit goes for around $3700. the ls/vtec cost from $1000-$1500. the oil has to be changed every 1500miles or so. don't rev too high all the time, gives the engine a short life.

91LSb16A
05-08-2002, 09:45 PM
Ok, i just registered here to comment on a few things, first off, Vtec owns yes, but a stock EX will NOT beat out a stock 90 - 93 LS non Vtec, I own a 91 and had the B18A1 and not only had i beaten alot of EX's but ones with mods, the owner of that LS you beat up on was either auto or couldnt drive, second of all, you cannot supercharge the 90 - 93 Integra's with a Jackson Supercharger, the Brake master cylinder is in the way and you have to drop the motor almost 3"'s and get a smaller oil pan. sorry been there tried that, you have a 90/91 Integra, which means if you want you can go B16A without spending the money for motor mounts,jdm transmission, which means you can pickup the long block for about $700 and install it for about $500, LS/vtec howerver is extremely powerful, it will scream harder than any GS-R/B16 motor and with a few mods you're into the high 14's runnin with Type R's, if you want to go crazy just go B16A+Turbo and own everyone. I hope i answered your question.

P.S. sorry for the long reply

Jisecup
05-09-2002, 01:14 AM
ok well that answered my question. thanks,

Triple_R
05-09-2002, 10:38 PM
Dunno what to tell you guys but I've handed a bunch of LSs their asses in races and we both where stock. If you guys are right that an LS w/o VTEC would beat a D16Z then I must be one hell of a driver :grin: (Next cars an RSX)