PDA

View Full Version : "governors"

Sariss
12-08-2002, 06:03 PM
I was told by a friend of mine that in a stock car there's a governor that doesn't allow you to go past 180kph, yet I've been in many cars that pass that... he said maybe it was taken off.. so I was just wondering, are governors supposed to be 'must-have' in cars? Although if they are people sure must take them out a lot... and is 180 the highest legal speed you're supposed to go in Canada?

lt7406
12-08-2002, 06:12 PM
it depends on the manufacturer...different companys do different things..i know when i had a crx dx it was governed at 95mph....but it was easy to bypass that problem....i dont know anything about canada laws though

Diablo
12-08-2002, 06:32 PM
how can u take off a govenor?

Roadside Prophet
12-08-2002, 06:34 PM
180 is a sweet speed to cruise at in a buick lesabre down a windy road for about an hour straight

Shocon2k
12-08-2002, 06:48 PM
I sincerely doubt anywhere in canada you're allowed to go 180 kph (111.6 mph). And yes, it depends on the car, and yes you can bypass this, but with most cars, you will be drag limited, meaning you don't have enough power to overcome the high degree of wind resistance you reach at these speeds. For instance, my civic is limited at 120 or 125, but could go past that. I think that it would be drag limited at about 135.

Thewask
12-08-2002, 09:02 PM
I was told by a friend of mine that in a stock car there's a governor that doesn't allow you to go past 180kph, yet I've been in many cars that pass that... he said maybe it was taken off.. so I was just wondering, are governors supposed to be 'must-have' in cars? Although if they are people sure must take them out a lot... and is 180 the highest legal speed you're supposed to go in Canada?

Governors are not mandatory in Canada, my car did not come with one (thank God) and many cars do not have them. Also are you serious in asking is 180 the higest legal speed in Canada? Not trying to be an ass here but thats the stupidest question I have ever heard! 110 is the higest I believe.

lt7406
12-08-2002, 09:32 PM
I sincerely doubt anywhere in canada you're allowed to go 180 kph (111.6 mph). And yes, it depends on the car, and yes you can bypass this, but with most cars, you will be drag limited, meaning you don't have enough power to overcome the high degree of wind resistance you reach at these speeds. For instance, my civic is limited at 120 or 125, but could go past that. I think that it would be drag limited at about 135.

youre pretty close..i got it up to 137..we had a gps unit in the car so thats how we knew how fast we were goin...it stayed there for a few secs and then i backed off it

Harry
12-09-2002, 12:14 PM
Also are you serious in asking is 180 the higest legal speed in Canada? Not trying to be an ass here but thats the stupidest question I have ever heard!
:nod: :lol:

Roadside Prophet
12-09-2002, 07:13 PM
we should be able to do 180 through city streets

Sariss
12-12-2002, 09:17 PM
110 is the higest I believe.

I've seen the cops let you go if you're going over 120 in a 100 zone on highway 400 but that just may be their laziest. I was talking to a friend who's parent is a law teacher and something was mentioned about 180 being the fastest a car in Canada should be able to do... granted it can reach that speed. I've been in a Cavalier that went up to 163 a few weeks ago. This is just a rumour that has been going around saying that the governor is supposed to kick in at 180 yet the spedometer on most cars goes to 220

Harry
12-12-2002, 10:06 PM
Speedometers mean nothing. They are the last indication of a car's speed.

Fast4Life
12-14-2002, 05:56 PM
The speedo on my truck goes up to 140kph, its a 350 V8, it will easily pass that, the speedo on my honda goes up to 220, there is no way in hell it will do that, and the truck will ownt the Honda

Sariss
12-14-2002, 08:08 PM
Speedometers mean nothing. They are the last indication of a car's speed.

It would be kind of pointless if the car cant go as fast as it says it should... they should have the spedometer go as high as the car can go fast.. *shrugs*

Thewask
12-16-2002, 12:26 PM

I've seen the cops let you go if you're going over 120 in a 100 zone on highway 400 but that just may be their laziest. I was talking to a friend who's parent is a law teacher and something was mentioned about 180 being the fastest a car in Canada should be able to do... granted it can reach that speed. I've been in a Cavalier that went up to 163 a few weeks ago. This is just a rumour that has been going around saying that the governor is supposed to kick in at 180 yet the spedometer on most cars goes to 220

The cops may let you go over the speed limit on the highway, it doesn't mean thats its legal. That was your question. Hey I speed as much as the next guy but 180 as the speed limit is going over board! Half the cars will shake going at the speed ;) Know how many young retards would crash cause they couldn't handle a car at the speed! What would you do if you blew a tire at that speed? Die.

Roadside Prophet
12-16-2002, 06:17 PM
haha, i've been at least 180 in an 89 buick lesabre MANY times, we do it as often as possible haha

...true story

Sariss
12-16-2002, 07:41 PM

The cops may let you go over the speed limit on the highway, it doesn't mean thats its legal. That was your question. Hey I speed as much as the next guy but 180 as the speed limit is going over board! Half the cars will shake going at the speed ;) Know how many young retards would crash cause they couldn't handle a car at the speed! What would you do if you blew a tire at that speed? Die.

I didn't mean that as the speed limit, hell that would be nuts. Cars can go faster than any posted speed limits in Canada most likely since I haven't seen anything higher than 100. What I was meaning to say was that I was told that the car's limit to how fast it COULD go would be fixed at 180, and once it hit that mark (if it did) it couldnt go any faster. I hope that clears up...

Thewask
12-16-2002, 08:39 PM
Well like I said it depends on the car. My car didn't have a stock govener.

import_3000
12-22-2002, 06:36 PM
my dads truck has a governer for 140 kph, we still beat a firebird at the lights