PDA

View Full Version : Got pulled over in my teg yesterday...

PimpSheit
04-25-2002, 04:03 PM
I was on my way home from work when I took a turn alil fast and spun my tires after the turn and the cop pulled me over for reckless driving. So the usual, asks me for my license and such then he goes "what's that smell, it smells like u got bad breaks," I just put new rotors and pads on last night i told him then he looks at my car and noticed it was lowered to far, and he said aftermarket exhaust and suspension is illegal. Then he also gave me tickets for having clear front turn signals, having a fat ass intercooler up front, a radar detector, and tint to dark(you can barley even notice that there is a tint on the windows its so light).
Is the whole thing about exhaust and suspension true? How could this be? Anyone else get a ticket for these reasons? It seems almost like half the cars on the road have exhaust and/or suspension upgrades and i never see/hear anyone else getting tickets for that.
So all in all i ended the day with 7 tickets to pay for, 2 more points on my license, and 8 hours of drivers ed, sounds fun don't it.

tooocool49723
04-25-2002, 04:13 PM
if i were you i would challenge all 7 tickets, and the drivers ed time (the points are there to stay, serves you right for drifting!) , usually the cop wont even show up and if he does then you can still probibly get out of a few of them because a judge always goes easier on people than a cop.

im not sure what the law is where you live but ive never heard of anyone getting a ticket for "clear front turn signals, having a fat ass intercooler up front" or even the exhaust (as long as its emissions compliant i.e. youve gone to an emissions test place and had your car certified after doing these mods and have the sticker under your hood to back it up) i know that in cali people have been ticketed for having exhaust because of the really tight emissions laws.

integr8
04-25-2002, 06:22 PM
All depends on your states laws. I just got a ticket for my exhaust that Im still trying to fight. According to Wisconsin law (and most other states I think) the exhaust laws state that "No person shall modify the exhaust system on any such vehicle in a manner which will increase or amplify noise" meaning anything louder than stock is illegal. Bullshit right? Yup. Si its basically saying that if you increase the sound form say a stock Civic (lets say they are 60db stock) with an exhaust thats 65db...thats illegal. BUT...a stock dodge ram with V8 and dual exhaust that makes say, 80bd STOCK...is perfectly legal. Fucked up isnt it?

While I was checking I familiarized myself with other vehicle codes like turn signals. Here, turn signals can be either amber or white so clears with white bulbs are legal. If you have blue or blueish "superwhite" type bulbs in them thats definetely illegal. Again, your state might be different here.

Fact is, almost all states have some pretty fucked up laws that totally pick on performance enthusiests that basically prohibit us from doing alot of things to our cars that arent even an issue if safety, noise, ect. We all know the people writing these laws arent exactly mechanics and the Govt is definetely NOT the authority on automobiles....remember how generic your drivers liscence test was? They tell you stuff like "brake when you go into a skid" and other backwards BS. I dont know what to tell you other than look up your states vehicle codes and check all those tickets. There are plenty of places to turn for people like us that need help. I would suggest SEMA at http://www.enjoythedrive.com or http://www.sema.org . In the meantime Im fighting mine on a higher level, writing to my state officials, ect. If enough of us pull together we can change all these dumbass laws to something that makes sense, are safe, AND let enthusiests enjoy our freedom. Thats what SEMA is supposed to be but I dont think they help as much as they should. Unfortunetely most of us rive around oblivious to this shit until you get a ticket then theres nobody in your corner to help you. Sucks.

Hope this helps somewhat.

integr8
04-25-2002, 06:41 PM
On 2002-04-25 16:13, tooocool49723 wrote:
i know that in cali people have been ticketed for having exhaust because of the really tight emissions laws.

Thats because of the tight emmisions laws there like you said. Cops used to give out hellu-exhaust tickets for no good reason because they are basically forced to crack down on emmisions and dont know how. Even though most "good" aftermarket exhausts are CARB legal its just the easiest thing cops can notice and write tickets for. Cali used to have the same generic law I metnioned above but there was just a major change there...an awsome win for us. Now aftermarket exhausts are legal as long as they meat emmisions and are under 95 decibles and the cops even have to test the sound levels now instead of using thier own "judgement". Believe it or not only three states curently have a sensible exhaust law like this now, Cali, DC, and Ohio...I think. Know how the exhaust law in D.C. was changed? ONE guy wrote his senator and got it changed because the senator (or whatever he was) realized it made to fucking sense.

Sorry to rant but Im on a roll. I hate our fucking government. Dont get me wrong, I love my country but the governement needs to be held to WAY higher standards than it is. We need to CLEAN HOUSE!! :evil:

Do you realize how many bullshit laws still exist just because the bastards wont do their job? Ever heard of laws like "its illegal to make cheese in town after 5pm"? There are thousands of laws like that still active because the pricks are too damn lazy to clear them out. I dont know about all of you but I pay my government to run the country and run it in a way that makes sense first and formost...not waste time and money on marketing campains like "when you guy drugs your supporting terrorism" and "beef, its whats for dinner" and converting all our playgrounds to rubbermade so kids never ever hurt themselves. Our govt lost all priority along time ago. Were free...but stupid laws like that say otherwise. The govt is supposed to represent us...they really dont. Thier only job is to protect us....I reffer back to the previous statement about wasting our resources on any bullshit they can make up to get another foot in our doors and infringe on our basic rights and freedoms.

Ok, I better stop before I blow an O-ring. :lol:

All Im saying is the government should learn to respect us...not expect us to respect them. That, and we need logical people in office...not dirty buissnessmen running for office. We need to put MENSA in charge or something. :roll:

Damn the man. :grin:

integr8
04-25-2002, 06:44 PM
Vote Ryan (me) for president!! :lol:

The only new laws Id make would be anti-rice laws. :grin:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: integr8 on 2002-04-25 18:44 ]</font>

kryzeofkrayzie
04-25-2002, 08:43 PM
(a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor
vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted
by the motor of the vehicle so that the vehicle is not in compliance
with the provisions of Section 27150 or exceeds the noise limits
established for the type of vehicle in Article 2.5

-For person who was saying modifying exhaust for higher output (noise) 65 db on a civic is fine as long as it is not obnoxious rice cookers or over the LEGAL DB rate, but there is no real way to measure db it is just the cops word's against yours.

This is the cali code... this code is probably the hardest to past if you got greddy well just show certificate of db compliance and you will neeed to shell out cash to do a smog check and i think that should be enough to win in court.

If you don't have greddy you should contact the manufacturer and ask them if the exhaust/muffler under the state db limit cali's is 95.

as for clear corners i have them on my car ticketed (with fix it) i had polarg hyperwhites (blue tint) so i went to polarg amber hehe.

for suspension I am not really sure about that because bottom line cops bull shit you... i got ticket for altezzas which i no longer have, cuz of its crap quality and cracking... ne way he says anything from aftermarket is illegal i contacted manufactuerer and got back sae dot papers and i will win in court it all comes down to the manufacturer backing you up. If they don't good luck trying to convince the judge if you fight it.

btw http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/calaw.html &lt;-- site i got my info from i think everystate should have one just put in the violation # =D and good luck!

NoTec
04-25-2002, 10:08 PM
An aftermarket suspension is not illegal but if he measured the height of your car and it was too low than he can give you a ticket for it being too low. The radar detector ticket you cant fight because its illegal to have one in virginia. The clear corners have to be sae dot approved or they are illegal. If you have a greddy turbo that is smog legal, you should be able to fight that ticket. I'm guessing you didnt see the cop when you went on your drifting exercise. :lol: You wont win that one unless your tires were wet or if there was sandin that spot. Goodluck prooving that. A word of advice for all you hotshot kiddies out there with souped up imports, if you modify your ride, you will be targetted by the pigs and that is all.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: NoTec on 2002-04-25 22:09 ]</font>

stockciviclx
04-25-2002, 10:21 PM
dude sounds like you got raped by the law enforcement i know the clear front signals are illegal here in iowa couldnt tell ya in virginia but knowing that the radar detctors are illegal there iwouldnt be surprised if they were as for the suspension wouldnt think its illegal unless your lowered to far and the only thing to worry bout wit exhaust is if you got a muffle that amplfys sound or isnt smog legal if you guys ahve a law there as for the drifting i think your screwed unless the cop drops dead tommorow

PimpSheit
04-26-2002, 03:45 PM
The turn signals are not DOT approved, he did not measure the suspension height but did say any aftermarket suspension is illegal in the state. I live in virginia and there is no smog law but he did say having a front mount intercooler is illegal as well, the turbo kit is a DRAG gen III, not greddy. It wasn't wet or any sand in the area where i was drifting. The pig was sittin in the parking lot in which i was doing this in hiding behind a big ass yukon. VA state laws suck ass, cops will get you for anything.

integr8
04-26-2002, 07:24 PM
On 2002-04-26 15:45, PimpSheit wrote:
The turn signals are not DOT approved, he did not measure the suspension height but did say any aftermarket suspension is illegal in the state. I live in virginia and there is no smog law but he did say having a front mount intercooler is illegal as well, the turbo kit is a DRAG gen III, not greddy. It wasn't wet or any sand in the area where i was drifting. The pig was sittin in the parking lot in which i was doing this in hiding behind a big ass yukon. VA state laws suck ass, cops will get you for anything.

Lets get em changed then! lol...I just found out the state pigs are busting everyone I know for exhausts all of a sudden. Sucks but now that there are more people to voice our opinion...its a good thing.