PDA

View Full Version : Edmonton Street Racing Death

Thewask
11-26-2002, 11:21 AM
A 25-year-old street racer died Monday night when his blue Chevrolet Cavalier travelling at more than 110 km/h slammed into the brick storefront of a stereo shop on Stony Plain Road near 142nd Street.

Police are looking for a second racer driving a white sports car, seen speeding south on 142nd Street after the crash.

The cars were first spotted racing east on Stony Plain Road near 149th Street. They shot by a least three other cars on the typically busy road, which has a posted speed limit of 50 km/h.

"They came screaming by us," said Jason Lammers, who was driving home with his girlfriend Jamie Melnychuk, after watching the movie Signs at West Edmonton Mall.

"They were swerving, easily going over 140 km/h -- like bats out of hell."

Lammers said the Cavalier was trailing the white car when the two vehicles sped by him.

Police estimate the car was travelling 110 km/h to 120 km/h when it crashed into Universal Karaoke and Audio, on the south side of Stony Plain Road. Firefighters had to cut the roof off the car to extract the man's body.

Police said a curve, coupled with a patch of sand on the road and high speed, probably caused the driver to lose control of the car.

Police Insp. Dennis Pysyk said street racing is common in Edmonton, but usually in the warmer months.

"Drag racing is unsafe, here's proof," he said.

"It has caused a death. It may appear fun to younger people but it's not worth the price."

Street racing continues to grow and was popularized in last year's Hollywood film The Fast and The Furious.

Earlier this month, six people charged with illegal street racing near Villeneuve Airport in September were fined $675 each in Stony Plain provincial court and had their licences suspended from seven to 30 days.

In 2000, a Vancouver-area woman crossing a street was struck and killed by two cars that were racing. In September, a Richmond, B.C., RCMP officer was killed when a suspected street racer slammed into his cruiser. Two men are facing numerous charges.

[email protected]

Copyright 2002 Edmonton Journal

slowdx
11-26-2002, 12:18 PM
"Drag racing is unsafe, here's proof," he said.

"It has caused a death. It may appear fun to younger people but it's not worth the price."

Street racing continues to grow and was popularized in last year's Hollywood film The Fast and The Furious.

Damn People think its ALL because of TFATF dmanit.

Thewask
11-26-2002, 12:25 PM
People dont think its because of a movie! He said it was popularied by it. Which it was.

BeanBandit_Lt1
11-26-2002, 04:38 PM
Its always sad when someone dies but what we have to remember that these people understand the risks when racing both on the street and on the track , And at risk of sounding unsensitive these are the kind of people that bring a horrible image to the import community.

Roadside Prophet
11-26-2002, 06:43 PM
i'm thinkin ciggarettes kill more people than street racing
am i right?

Thewask
11-26-2002, 07:04 PM
am i right?

Hondahookup lives up to its rep again!

Roadside Prophet
11-26-2002, 07:38 PM
what the fuck is that?

Harry
11-26-2002, 09:14 PM
am i right?
That, coupled with patches of sand. :lol:

Roadside Prophet
11-26-2002, 09:18 PM
well harry, to me, that makes no sense

at all

first off, sand, i dont know why you're talking about sand

even sand patches, sand patches...hmm... nope, dont make no sense

and couple with sand patches, coupled, so like, teamed with, so sand patches.

ok, so patches of sand on the road causes death

lude_boy93
11-26-2002, 09:31 PM
Dude, you smoke too much crack. You really r an idiot. He's talking about patches of sand on the road which may have caused the guy to lose control. Holy phuck!?!? I guess you don't need your grade 9 education to become a mod here do you? ( no offense to you mods w/ half a brain ).

Ever since I started posting here, everything that comes out of your mouth is shit.

BeanBandit_Lt1
11-26-2002, 11:28 PM
agreed :nod:

Roadside Prophet
11-27-2002, 03:39 PM
haha, you guys take the things i say seriously?

who's the idiot?

i'm purposely a dumbass to piss people off, and if you REALLY dont realize that... you shouldnt be allowed on a computer

and you didnt have to explain to me what harry was talking about, i obviously knew, did you read the end of my post? or did you jsut see that i posted and start trying to flame me?

look, if you're gonna try to make fun of me, pick at something that i cant prove you wrong about

and calling me a whore isnt gonna do much either, i'm sure everyone already knows i am

PATHETIC

Anonymous
11-27-2002, 11:20 PM
In today's news it said they were looking for the person in the other car, it was an early 90's white domestic.

RDS Celica
11-28-2002, 12:11 AM
In today's news it said they were looking for the person in the other car, it was an early 90's white domestic.

Ya thats far from the "white sports car" they were taking about earlier :lol: . Anyone see the pic of the guy's car that crashed?? It was a 4 door base model cavalier... not exactly what most "street racers" would call their car of choice. I dunno I think this guy was just being a dumbass trying to prove something to another car in traffic... who the fuck would race on a windey ass busy road in winter with shit all over the ground? :-? Like use some common sense... geeeez :(

lude_boy93
11-28-2002, 10:37 AM
Harsh as it may seem, he got exactly what he deserved. You put yourself in certain situations, you have to be ready to face the consequences. You have do indeed have to have some common sense and this guy at 25 years old, didn't. Hmm, I'm just happy he only took himself out.

Harry
11-28-2002, 01:07 PM
I'm never too hard on guys that kill themselves being idiots. I don't know why. I just have more sympathy I guess. Yeah they were idiots but they were just not lucky and we were. Everybody here especially myself have cheated death being stupid racing in the streets. Granted as i got older the more selective I became as to when or where I would push it, but I've done some dumb stuff, much dumber than that, much much dumber. Everybody here knows what it's like, when you're engaged in a race with someone else, you tend to lose logic. Hopefully you won't kill yourself and live to reflect on how stupid you were.

Roadside Prophet
11-28-2002, 04:27 PM
everyones does stupid things.

some people just get away with it, others die