PDA

View Full Version : VTEC Controller..Pros and Cons???????????

GsR13
04-21-2002, 10:38 PM
I just bought a Apexi Vtec controller and since my purchase I have heard alot of different things. Some people tell me their not worth it, some tell me it the best upgrade you can buy, and others have told me it can fuck up your engine. I haven't installed it yet but i was wondering if someone could please shed a little light for me. thanxs

Outsider GSR
04-21-2002, 10:57 PM
If you don't know what you're doing, leave it alone especially when messing with the fuel maps. If you want to make good use of it pick up some ITR cams, skunk2 mani, and a JDM style header (one with a 2.5" collector). Anybody else have any ideas?

venomous
04-21-2002, 11:34 PM
CTR cams are better than ITR cams. The exhaust cam is the same but the CTR intake cam is slightly more aggressive than the ITR cam. Just to correct what ^^^ said.

Toda Party
04-22-2002, 12:17 AM
itr intake cam: 240 degrees duration, same lift (11.6mm i believe)
ctr intake cam: 243 degrees of duration, same lift

and click the link in my sig, i wrote about vtec controllers a while ago

CRiSP
04-22-2002, 12:19 AM
it can be helpful as long as it is programed by somone who knows what they are doing. I have one in my car and right now its a 300 dollar tac...one of these days when I can get my ass to a dyno Ill get someone to help me fuck arround with it

92TypeR
04-22-2002, 04:15 AM
either copy data from a very similar setup, or dyno tune it...but it isn't hard to work with, actually quite simple compared to the hondalogger (hondata) and the AEM.

acatak
04-23-2002, 08:47 PM
how much horsepower will i gain from my itr cams. i have i/h/e in my gsr right now

purcivic98
04-23-2002, 09:40 PM
its a great little comp, IF and only IF you know what your doing.

acatak
04-24-2002, 08:13 PM
was do you mean if i know what im doing. do they have to be tuned a certain way to get optimum hp. and where would i bring them to get that. a honda or acura dealer?

acatak
04-24-2002, 08:13 PM
was do you mean if i know what im doing. do they have to be tuned a certain way to get optimum hp. and where would i bring them to get that. a honda or acura dealer?

92TypeR
04-25-2002, 03:06 AM
The apex unit is very tuner friendly, like i mentioned above. It can be tuned very easily, but for PRECISE tuning, a couple hours at a dynojet is required. You can enter in maps that are similar to what you want to run, but you will still not be exact.

It is tuner friendly because you don't have to be a pro at motec/dfi/hondalogger systems on a laptop, instead you basically press a couple of buttons, and walla! you have tuned it. Plus online instructions, and the manual that comes with it are very helpfull.