PDA

View Full Version : Surrey B.C. - the car theft leader in North America

Anonymous
09-16-2002, 09:31 PM
http://www.canada.com/search/site/story.asp?id=910D2C6D-9FDC-43DA-B259-17E598A5E948

Surrey = 1,743 automobiles stolen per 100,000 residents
Los Angeles and New York = 400 autos per 100,000 residents
:o :o :o

Cliff Notes: Brown guys in Surrey are stealing a mad amount of cars.

ExCape
09-16-2002, 09:53 PM
Its true, surrey is crazy :nod:

96GT
09-16-2002, 10:10 PM
that doesn't suprise me

RicoSuave
09-21-2002, 02:50 PM
http://www.canada.com/search/site/story.asp?id=910D2C6D-9FDC-43DA-B259-17E598A5E948

Surrey = 1,743 automobiles stolen per 100,000 residents
Los Angeles and New York = 400 autos per 100,000 residents
:o :o :o

Cliff Notes: Brown guys in Surrey are stealing a mad amount of cars.

SEARCH RESULTS - STORY
Vancouver suburb leads North America in number of car thefts

GREG JOYCE
Canadian Press

Sunday, September 15, 2002
ADVERTISEMENT

VANCOUVER (CP) - When you're a cop in charge of dealing with auto thefts and the vehicles disappear at a rate of about 90 a day, it helps to have a sense of humour. RCMP Sgt. Enzo Nadalin does.

The head of the RCMP Auto Theft Task Force has the dubious task of trying to deal with what has been described as an epidemic - about 33,000 vehicles stolen in British Columbia in 2001.

He appears to be losing the battle and is appealing to courts, lawmakers and the honest citizenry.

Recently, in an effort to draw the media's attention to the startling statistic, Nadalin issued a news release this summer entitled Driving Miss Daisy, after the popular movie starring Morgan Freeman and Jessica Tandy in which Freeman played Tandy's chauffeur in the Deep South.

But the duo in Nadalin's story was a mother and son auto theft team.

"Mom was driving around in a stolen car driven by the son," Nadalin says in a recent interview. "Mom was in her 60s."

The Crown laid several charges against the son but felt it didn't have a substantial likelihood of conviction regarding Mom, said Nadalin, even though the son had been caught before with Mom nearby.

"We did them once before and she was there," says Nadalin, his voice resonating with frustration. "All of a sudden we're doing it again and there's stolen vehicles in the yard, in the garage and stolen motorcycles in the basement."

Nadalin was successful in getting the media's attention.

Last week he did it again by releasing new, non-humourous auto theft statistics that focused on the much-maligned Vancouver suburb of Surrey.

The sprawling community was dubbed the auto theft capital of North America based on the number of vehicles stolen per 100,000 population.

RCMP figures show that the city had about 6,100 vehicles stolen in 2001 - a rate of 1,743 automobiles stolen per 100,000 residents.

In Los Angeles and New York, the rate is about 400 autos per 100,000 residents. A recent study by the U.S. National Insurance Crime Bureau says the U.S.'s highest auto-theft rate is in Phoenix, where 1,081 cars are stolen per 100,000 population.

Surrey is tops for auto theft in Canada, followed by Winnipeg and Regina - a close second and third. London, Ont., is fourth.

Why Surrey?

"I've got to be careful how I answer this one," says Nadalin, who doesn't want to offend the vast majority of law-abiding citizens but is aware of Surrey's reputation for crime and transients.

"These people get out of jail and double up (for accommodation) and SkyTrain brings a lot of people out here. They can do their crime and go back to wherever they live."

Last week, as newspapers and TV milked the auto theft story, Nadalin issued another news release aimed at getting more publicity.

This one he headlined, 'I'll be out in the morning,' and described a 17-year-old who was caught trying to steal a car. He assaulted an arresting officer, fled and was picked up later.

He bragged that "I'll be out (of custody) in the morning,' " said Nadalin.

Since 1999, the youth has been arrested 19 times by Surrey RCMP and has nine prior Criminal Code convictions.

Police feel handcuffed by the seemingly endless parade of repeat offenders and their treatment in the justice system.

"We've arrested about 400 people since we've been in operation and out of that 400 there's only a half dozen that don't have a prior criminal record," says Nadalin.

Many have between six and 15 prior convictions "and one guy has 52 prior convictions, including car theft, break and enter."

"We're not asking that all car thieves be put in jail. What we're saying is a small percentage of car thieves be put in jail. These are the career criminals."

There is some progress, however.

Most vehicle models since 2000 have built-in anti-theft devices in the form of a key that has a built-in computer chip that makes the car almost impossible to steal even through the tried-and-true hot wiring.

The auto task force also has compiled the most popular cars to steal.

The top 10 in B.C. include Honda Civic and Accord, the Acura, the Dodge Caravan and Plymouth Voyager vans, and Toyota Camry.

They're popular because "with a butter knife and a screwdriver, you can enter that vehicle and start it in less than 60 seconds."

The "typical" car thief is also no candidate for the junior achievement award.

He is a white male, 16 to 25 years old, unemployed, with trouble holding a steady job.

I can't believe you forgot about the skinheads.

Surrey has two types of people, brown guys and the guys who want the brown guys out the country

irixx
09-21-2002, 07:15 PM
Hey wussup.
Well I also heard that Surrey beat us (I live in Regina, Sask.) out in the stats. The most hillarious part of it all is that I guess OUR car thieves heard of that and wanted to show who the tru kings were, and they stole 50 cars over the weekend! :o Within 48 hrs! :nod: (after hearing about the stats) We will once again regain the crown that is rightfully ours! lol.

:P :P :P

Anonymous
09-21-2002, 08:14 PM
Hey wussup.
Well I also heard that Surrey beat us (I live in Regina, Sask.) out in the stats. The most hillarious part of it all is that I guess OUR car thieves heard of that and wanted to show who the tru kings were, and they stole 50 cars over the weekend! :o Within 48 hrs! :nod: (after hearing about the stats) We will once again regain the crown that is rightfully ours! lol.

:P :P :P

:lol: :lol: