PDA

View Full Version : short air or full cold air?????

96gsr
04-11-2002, 10:21 PM
I am getting an aem intake. I have already established that. All I am wondering now, is which one? I can get the full cold air and a by-pass valve, or a short air? I have heard that the full cold air brings in more cold air (duh) but the by-pass valve is restrictive. I have also heard that the filter is constantely getting dirty. But with the short air, you pull in a lot of hotter air, but you dont have to worry about your filter getting muddy or your engine pulling in water. Which one??????

g2teg
04-11-2002, 11:49 PM
get the cold air/bypass valve & only use the valve when it's been really rainy. if it's only been raining a little, you can just avoid big puddles & you should be fine.

Shulder
04-12-2002, 12:54 AM
Get the AEM CAI, you dont really need the bypass valve, it's a foot and a half of water, and when have you ever gone through a puddle that big? Unless you drive off into a bay. Even then, a ton of my friends have driven into huge puddles, numurous times, as well as myself and we've all been fine...It's for safety only, and it doesn't even look like it would protect it that much

Logan
04-12-2002, 03:27 AM
^^^^ i agree with him. the bypas valve was a marketing scheme. it doesnt really matter.

90tegboy
04-12-2002, 11:05 AM
the cai will get u pretty much jack in additional power compared to the short intake at speed. off the line i guess it would be a little better but id just go with the cheaper one.

RicePot
04-12-2002, 11:41 AM
bypass valve can't do shiet unless u run into some big ass puddle. And ofcourse with cold air u gotta change or clean your filter more often than the regular short ram. But cold air intake DOES help in performance. But they do suck in a bit of water here and there. :grin: Happy Racing :grin:

tegboy
04-12-2002, 02:22 PM
just get the short ram like i said earlier. cold air is stoopid. mud...water...over all not good. short ram is really easy to put in too :grin:

96integsr
04-12-2002, 05:31 PM
Ok, those are really intelligent comments. Have any of you ever seen the dyno results on the CAI vs. short ram? Obviously not. So what if you have to clean the filter more often? The cold air is the way to go. Go to AEM's website and take notes.

NOINTEGReddy
04-15-2002, 01:07 AM
On 2002-04-12 17:31, 96integsr wrote:
Ok, those are really intelligent comments. Have any of you ever seen the dyno results on the CAI vs. short ram? Obviously not. So what if you have to clean the filter more often? The cold air is the way to go. Go to AEM's website and take notes.

Wow. OF COURSE AEM wants you to pay more for the CAI, becasue it cots more than the Short ram. Have you used both, do you know what "one horsepower" is? You can't even feel one-three horsepower difference. You don't know shit.

96integsr
04-15-2002, 04:43 PM
As a matter of fact, I have had both. Short ram is only a noise maker. Cold air is functional. Thanks for the kind remarks. :evil:

90tegboy
04-16-2002, 02:20 AM
either way your not gonna feel a power gain on your stock whatever. a short air and a cold air do the same thing pretty much. at the start yeah the cai will do a bit better. once you have air goin through the engine compartment do you actually think that the temps will be all that different? hmmm....not as smart as i thought. :roll:

JDMRicePolice
04-16-2002, 02:25 AM
./uploads/Holyrepost.jpg

96integsr
04-16-2002, 11:54 AM
Yeah, I do.

GEN2LSINTEGRA
04-16-2002, 02:29 PM
I have the short ram for know but plan on getting the CAI when I get my head conversion.