PDA

View Full Version : Tweeker question!!!

REDTURBOTEG
04-07-2002, 06:05 PM
You are going to have to really know what your talkin about to answer this one!

Im doing a fully built turbo GSR motor with everything except sleeves. Im going with type r cams, mild porting, and a 3 angle valve job with titanium retainers. Im staying with the stock valves because I dont think the added cost of stainlees valves is worth it because its going to be a street car that sees the track once in awhile.

Here is what I do know:
Crower makes great springs but I think they may be too stiff. (they are designed to be used with crower cams) With the add pressure inthe end of the stock valve head something with eventually break.

Type r springs would work but they are designed to be used with type r valves which are lighter than GSR's. ( not stiff enough)

The best solution we have come up with so far is to use stock GSR intake springs on both sides. (because the intake springs on a GSR are stiffer than on the exhaust side.

Lets see who really knows their shit! THanks for your advise :wink:

NOINTEGReddy
04-07-2002, 10:05 PM
All heads turn to Toda...

tec missin
04-10-2002, 07:43 AM
When working on a 302 mustang engine I did that. The parts place sent all intake springs and we used them on the exhaust. Really you don't want the springs to be excessively stiff or you could end up draining horsepower, but only like 2 or 3 hp. I don't see why they shouldn't work though. As long as they have close to the same tension everything should be alright. As long as the tension isn't hundreds of lbs of pressure apart you should be alright. Worst that could happen is that the spring will pull the valve right threw the valve seat but who cares about that.. :grin: Whats the tension and height difference between the springs?

REDTURBOTEG
04-10-2002, 04:06 PM
Th springs on the intake side are only slightly stiffer, the only way you can tell them apart is by the color coding. If crower springs weren't so stiff i would just get those but they are designed for high lift cams. Using them with a mild cam like the type r might wear out other valvetrain parts before their time.