PDA

View Full Version : is it just me?!

g2teg
04-04-2002, 04:07 AM
it's not a big deal AT ALL, but am i the only one that gets that twinge in the back of my neck when people refer to a header for a four-banger as "headers"?? i mean, yea--you've heard your dad & uncles & whoever else talkin' about headers for v8s forever, but most of us (especially before we own one) look at pictures of the damn things all the time... where does the idea of multiple 'headers' come from?? just curious if anyone feels the same way. :???:

92TypeR
04-04-2002, 04:17 AM
I don't think there is anything wrong with that. It is the way the name is, you can say 'headers' or 'header system'. It is plural becuase there is more than one individual header tube on one system (4 on 4cyls, 6 on cyls...etc...), so naturally we want to say headers. I guess it can be confusing, but everybody knows what you are talking about when you say it.

its not incorrect, but its not correct....

g2teg
04-04-2002, 04:23 AM
i guess, but it looks like one big piece to me.....except, of course, for the 2-piece ones out there on the market, but that's a header & b-pipe, so there you go.

it just bugs me, that's all.

integr8
04-04-2002, 02:13 PM
People just dont know how to properly use the English language. Here in Wisconsin people tend to reffer to thier drivers liscence (singular) as "them". Like "I lost em when I got pulled over..". It bugs the shit out of me. Your right to have pet peaves like that. Its sad when people cant even use common sense and the basic english rules they were suposed to learn in 4th grade when thier speaking.

90tegboy
04-04-2002, 02:45 PM
the header refers to the entire system of piping coming off the engine block so it technically is one header. does anyone care? no. does it annoy people that know what the real word is? yes.

g2teg
04-05-2002, 02:15 PM
what about "ATM machine"??

...an Automatic Teller Machine Machine??? WTF?

or PIN number??....VIN number??

poeple just aggrivate me, that's all.