PDA

View Full Version : Starchoice Internet?

90_Civic_CX_Hatch
07-09-2002, 07:00 PM
I'm just wondering if anybody here has a starchoice satellite system and gets internet from it? We're picking up a satellite soon, and I want to get fast internet, but I can't get cable (I live in the country). Unfortunately, I can't find any info on Starchoice Internet. Is there such a thing? And can anybody hook me up with some good info about it?

thx

GonePostal
07-09-2002, 07:11 PM
Satellite internet isn't exactly fast. For 1 they probably upload using 56k, and 2 latency really suffers when sending data to a satellite in space. It may download at high speeds but it will take a few seconds for it to start downloading. So if you want to play online games that require low latency satellite internet is not for you. But if you can't get anything else it's still a good option.

90_Civic_CX_Hatch
07-09-2002, 07:18 PM
right now I'm stuck with telusnet which sux my ass...I usually connect at about 26.4 so I don't think it can get much worse...And really all I want it for is to download (I'm addicted to kazaa but my parents always spaz on me for tying up the phone line)

Harry
07-09-2002, 11:42 PM
A good question, and if anyone knows, I am interested in knowing as well. I have asked about satellite info for Starchoice and apparently there is nothing, this is from the people who sell it, however I have heard from people that it either exists or is going to be available and I have also heard that the new wide oval design of their dish is for internet.
Bellexpressvu on the other hand does offer high speed internet, I know this for a fact. BUT!
A, it's like 50 bucks a month, 40 if you subscribe to their $50 package.
B, it downloads only 6 times the speed of dial up, as opposed to 50 times with cable or high speed phoneline.
C, it uploads at your regular dial up speed.
D, you still need to subscribe to your current dial up provider because it uses that to upload .

That means you're going to spend 50 plus 25 plus taxes = near 100 bucks a month to download at 6 times and upload at regular. It's the only other option for me too but still not an option as far as I'm concerned. Bell didn't provide much of an alternative the way I see it. I hope starchoice has a better package if and when it comes.

As for your busy line thing, I saw an add the other day for this product from Emerson that allows you to take incoming calls when on a modem, switch lines and come back and still be connected. I wrote the number down and I think I'll order one. It's like 40 bucks.

90_Civic_CX_Hatch
07-10-2002, 08:19 PM
thanx! I guess I'll just hafta stick with telus for now then

RicoSuave
07-11-2002, 09:04 PM
If you have a phone line just go with DSL, it's as fast if not faster than cable. You can get if from telus for like $30 a month

90_Civic_CX_Hatch
07-12-2002, 01:24 PM
i wanted to do that, but I used that checker thingy on www.telus.net to see if I could get it, but it said I couldn't...My bro thinks its cuz our phone line has 'problems'

kinda like how the fastest this comp. has ever connected to the internet is 28.8kbps...

Harry
07-13-2002, 12:49 AM
If you have a phone line just go with DSL, it's as fast if not faster than cable. You can get if from telus for like $30 a month

That's kinda the problem we're discussing here. If you live outside of a city or large town in canada, there is no cable internet, no dsl, no nuttin'! :cry: