PDA

View Full Version : timing belt

mrkinky
04-03-2002, 01:33 AM
I have a 91 teg ls... from what i hear timing belts are a pain to replace but i also see $400 as being a little outrageous to change it... i was wondering if $400 sounds reasonable or should i buy the belt for $20 and do it myself. and if so would a person with limited auto knowledge be able to do it...i've got friends if i need the help...
thnx.

B20GSR
04-03-2002, 03:39 AM
On 2002-04-03 01:33, mrkinky wrote:
I have a 91 teg ls... from what i hear timing belts are a pain to replace but i also see $400 as being a little outrageous to change it... i was wondering if $400 sounds reasonable or should i buy the belt for $20 and do it myself. and if so would a person with limited auto knowledge be able to do it...i've got friends if i need the help...
thnx.

It's a real bitch to do. The hardest part is removing the crank pully. Also you need to know exactly what you are doing when you set your timeing or you could destroy your engine. If you want to give it a shot then you can find out how to do every thing by looking in one of the Integra manuals you can buy at most auto part stores. If you don't know what you're doing then $400 might be worth it.

mrkinky
04-03-2002, 12:49 PM
aiight thnx.

integr8
04-03-2002, 02:14 PM
If you feel your mechanically compatent and have a shop manual and up to 8 hours to kill...go for it. Just remeber that its much easier to do the other work when changing a timing belt like replace the water pump, maybe the tensioner, and the other belts while your at it. If you think you can handle all that, cool. Otherwise if the $400 covers all that other preventative maintinence (ask them what else thet change for that) than thats not a terrible price.