Thread: Stitch Welding... Does it really work????

Default Stitch Welding... Does it really work????

me and my friend notice something at the bodyshop the other day while my cousin was paying for the repairs he had to have fixed from his crash. but we noticed that one of the guys in the shop, was starting to build what looked like a project car. the thing was stripped down to the bare frame. we got there just as he started to weld, yet he was making a solid weld like i would think be what you do. when he was done i walked up to him and asked him what kind of weld he just did. and he said stitch welding, he also said it was suppose to make the chassis stronger. n 1 know if it works??

most n1 and most road race cars that are built from production car unibodys. to do it right it should be done on bare, dipped chassis on a jig, so that all sides can be reached. it does work, but highly labor intensive and very very difficult to do on a car already put together. the idea is to reinforce EVERY seam with welds to make the chassis as stiff as possible, with minimum weight gain.

Quote Originally Posted by BoardMan2324 View Post
    me and my friend notice something at the bodyshop the other day while my cousin was paying for the repairs he had to have fixed from his crash. but we noticed that one of the guys in the shop, was starting to build what looked like a project car. the thing was stripped down to the bare frame. we got there just as he started to weld, yet he was making a solid weld like i would think be what you do. when he was done i walked up to him and asked him what kind of weld he just did. and he said stitch welding, he also said it was suppose to make the chassis stronger. n 1 know if it works??
    this type of welding is done to make chasis stronger without gaining so much weight.Sometimes it is also used of heat distortion is needed.

Thread Information