Thread: MIG or TIG welding?

Default MIG or TIG welding?

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate forum for this question, but it seems fitting. Anyway, I was looking at Comptech headers, which are either burnished stainless steel MIG welded, or polished stainless steel TIG welded. Now my question is, what are the advantages/disadvantages to each style? If it doesn't really matter, then I would rather go with the MIG welded header because of the one-hundred dollar price difference. Thanks in advance for your answers.

A message to Toda Party: I just want you to know that I'm not trying to discuss the specific header as much as the welding techniques, as they may apply to different parts and applications. Thank You.

haha i don't really care all that much calm down ;)

as far as why there's a vast difference in price between the mig and tig welded header, i have no clue

lol ok thx i just didn't want you to move the topic or something

MIG - Metal Inert Gas welding. Also referred as GMAW (Gas Metal Arc Welding). The "Metal" refers to the wire which is what is used to start the arc. It is shielded by inert gas and the feeding wire also acts as the filler rod. A semi-automatic process, it is fairly easy to learn and use.

TIG - Tungsten Inert Gas welding. Also called GTAW (Gas Tungsten Arc Welding) and HeliarcŪ which was Linde's trade name for the TIG process when it was introduced many years ago. The arc is started with a tungsten electrode shielded by inert gas and filler rod is fed into the weld puddle separately. A slower process than MIG, it produces a more precise weld and can be used at lower amperages for thinner metal and can be used on exotic metals. TIG does require quite a bit more time than MIG to learn. It is similar in technique to gas welding.

TIG welding vs. MIG welding
    TIG welding results in the absolutely best quality weld possible and is the type of welding used in aerospace, Indy car, etc.

MIG weld results in a larger weld bead and the welder must be very careful in order to get a quality weld. MIG welding is about three times as quick as TIG welding so it results in cost savings.

hey where in CT are you from?

Thanks for the help hondasolsi. For just a daily driver, do you think that the MIG welded header would be sufficient? I'm from Danbury by the way, and you?

yea it shouldnt be a problem but it just depends on how well they are done. some welds are poorly made and start to break, crack, and rust. some look sloppy and thick in one part and thin at the other which is bad. im not sure how comptech's are but do they have a warrentee. im from Ansonia

why the comptech? what size is that collector, probably 2.0 inches...mad small

look into a DC jdm 4-1 w/ the 2.5" collector. what car is this going on

yes you are right about big price difference between MIG and TIG welding. but for quality purpose you must have utilize TIG welding. it will give you quality weld specially on stainless steel.
    Last edited by Rodolfo M. Rosado; 07-18-2020 at 06:07 AM.

Thread Information