Thread: 97 gsx

Default 97 gsx

Ok my friend bought a 97 gsx and he has about 3000 left over and he wants to know how to spend this money to get the best results. He is thinking of getting a 16 G turbo....but he figured hed ask ppl who know. What do u think would be the best way to spend this money

First, upgrade your turbo back exhaust, turbo cars benefit most from increased breathability. You can either open up the vents for your sidemount IC, or cut out the vents and put some screen material there as a good free mod.

Then:

O2 dump, downpipe, straight pipe or high flow cat, and catback exhaust. Also get a first gen manifold, good upgrade from a more restricted 2nd gen one. New upper intercooling piping will help as well. A good aftermarket blow off valve is essential, because the stock BOV cannot hold higher boost levels adequately. you can also use a 1g BOv, that is a cheap upgrade for the 2g BOV if you do not wish an aftermarket one.

Intake, Get a good boost controller, fuel pump and AFC.

I would go to a different turbo after upgrading all of this. Build the foundation first. You should be able to upgrade all of the above for $3000 or probably less.

Finally an answer from someone..thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Daywalker
    First, upgrade your turbo back exhaust, turbo cars benefit most from increased breathability. You can either open up the vents for your sidemount IC, or cut out the vents and put some screen material there as a good free mod.

Then:

O2 dump, downpipe, straight pipe or high flow cat, and catback exhaust. Also get a first gen manifold, good upgrade from a more restricted 2nd gen one. New upper intercooling piping will help as well. A good aftermarket blow off valve is essential, because the stock BOV cannot hold higher boost levels adequately. you can also use a 1g BOv, that is a cheap upgrade for the 2g BOV if you do not wish an aftermarket one.

Intake, Get a good boost controller, fuel pump and AFC.

I would go to a different turbo after upgrading all of this. Build the foundation first. You should be able to upgrade all of the above for $3000 or probably less.
    Yeah, I couldn't put it any better. One thing I might add, when you modify an eclipse don't go for expensive flashy things (like me, you will learn to not like them and want to seel thim in the long run) For instance tell him not to buy an Injen Intake when a k&N is half the price. As for exhausts thre are so many cheaper but yet just as well on effeciency for hundreds less. And another thing, DO NOT BUY A VENTED BOV, you will hate yourself in the future (trust me I do)..

For 3,000 you can be running high 12's low 13's if you spend your money right. Just keep in mind, modding a dsm is nothing like modding a civic.
    95 Eagle Talon Tsi
    Carbon Fiber Tunable exhaust (custom piping)
    Apexi 3" Downpipe
    K&N intake
    TurboXS RFL- Blow off Valve
    Dejon Tool Upper/lower IC piping
    TurboXS Boost controller @15psi
    WeaponR coilover set
    and some other stuff.................

Very true, you can goto your local exhaust shop and have them mandrel bend you a 3" turbo back exhaust, with or without cat. Should be alot cheaper than buying sep O2 dump, downpipe, straight pipe and catback.

I got a quote of $300 to bend a turbo back, not including muffler cost. Not too bad. Or go on DSM sites and look in the classifieds.

Good sites are:

www.dsmtalk.com
    www.dsmtuners.com
    www.dsmtrader.com

thanks for all the help he saw what you guys wrote and said you guys really know what ur talkin about

#1. You don't "upgrade" to a 1G manifold, you upgrade to a 2G manifold. If you have a 2G, don't change the manifold.
    The 2G manifold outflows the 1G by a lot.

Do it this way.

-intake
    -turbo back exhaust
    -boost gauge
    -boost controller
    -injectors (550cc will suffice for any of the mild turbo upgrades)
    -fuel pump
    -Super AFC
    -1G BOV
    -PocketLOGGER (or other datalogging device)
    -EGT Gauge

Honestly, most 2Gs don't make it out of the 14s with a stock turbo. You can upgrade to the 14B for pretty cheap. But, if you're going through the trouble of changing the turbo, go for something better. Forced Performance has a nice selection of bolt-on turbos, and they are top quality builders.
    Dave
    Full Throttle Performance
    Hempstead Turnpike, Bethpage, NY
    516-644-9843
    fullthrottlespeedshop@yahoo.com

2g intake manifold=crap

2g exhaust mainifold is better but 1g intake manifold is bigger. best thing to do is port the 2g exhaust mainfold and switch the 2g intake manifold to the 1g mainfold i would even use the 1g throttlebody also i believe its 60mm in comparison to the 2g's its only 56mm

<1990 Eagle Talon Tsi FWD...... you will be missed
    1991 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD YOUR ALL FUCKED 8)

There is really no need to upgrade the intake manifold until you are making serious power. If you're looking for 12s, or even 11s, the stock one will be just fine.
    Dave
    Full Throttle Performance
    Hempstead Turnpike, Bethpage, NY
    516-644-9843
    fullthrottlespeedshop@yahoo.com

My fellow DSMer's have said all that I could think. If your friend gets most of those parts, make sure he has an upgraded clutch to be able to handle all the new power (Act 2100, Act 2600) or if its an a/t get a Translab Shift kit and End Clutch upgrades. Also might want to think about getting better brakes if you make more power. No sense to make so much speed and then not be able to stop. I am having that problem right now. Good luck and I wish i had 3g's to spend.....Big 16 w/ FMIC WOO!
    1991 Talon TSi

DSM
    It's a Turbo thing, you wouldn't understand

I have been wanting to get a turbo eclipse myself real bad but everyone tells me i will get crank walk sooner or later. I heard that kills your whole engine

Is this true and is there any way to avoid it?

2gs manual turbos have the crankwalk problem. magnus has been working on a fix, but its not totally proven. i think the crankwalk number is somewhere around 1 out of 5, maybe even worse. get a 1g, lighter, no crankwalk, unless you love the 2g looks

Thanx a lot for the info...i've been looking everywhere for info on that but the eclipse message boards are hard to find. Do you know if an automatic turbo eclipse would have crankwalk. Sadly, i am inlove with the second generation turbo's (damn fnf!). Some shop told me it doesn't matter if you have an auto or manuel, crankwalk on a turbo eclipse is very common, he said something around 65 to 70% of eclipses get them at around 70-100miles. Is he right about an auto gs-t being able to get crankwalk or is it just manual?

just saw the dsm post, sorry about posting the question here

I only heard of one A/T DSM ever getting crankwalk. Get a 1st gen, better BOV, better turbo. The style is different but once I got my '91 I fell in love with the body. 2nd's are nice but I'd take a 1st gen anyday.
    1991 Talon TSi

DSM
    It's a Turbo thing, you wouldn't understand

First thing to buy is an Upper intercooler pipe, a NEW BOV, a MBC and a boost gauge, dat right der will give you a major increase in power. den da 3.0 turbo back exhaust. Den you will run high 13's on pump gas.
    Geo Metro Type-R
    JDM 3-1 Header
    JDM Integra Type-R EMBLEM conversion
    Bling Bling hubcaps dats spins backwards
    Super-Swoop 5" exhaust through megafied muffler for enhanced sound
    Quad-Whislte Tip Performance Muffler tip

I got techniques drippin out my buttcheeks
    Sleep on my stomach so I don't fuck up my sheets, huh

WORD

Da stock IPIC is crap, it is flat at some spots, robs serious power. Da stock 2G BOV is crap, leaks. repleace these items and you'll get 30HP easilly, intake too yo.
    Geo Metro Type-R
    JDM 3-1 Header

WORD

heres what you do.

relay the fuel pump(spice the wires) or get a fuel pump if you relay it it doesn't cost anything

get a 15 dollar man. boost controller off ebay

get a starion fmic off ebay for like 100 bucks

get some ic pipes for like 100 or so

riase the boost and you can easly have close or right at 300hp

Silver Member

If your upping the boost make sure you support this with the proper fuel and tuning, like turbolover says get an AFC.

1g's get crankwalk also, late 92 - 94 have a seven bolt engine similar to the 2G engine. but even with the 6 bolt engine (89 - 92) its possible to get crankwalk, granted its very rare but it has happened.

the 1G exhaust manifold is a lot more restrictive then then the 2G and when you try to port them they crack, keep your exhaust mani unless its cracked, then replace it with a new one.

if your gonna run more then stock boost on a 2G go for a new BOV, if your on a budget a 1G BOV is a very good upgrade over the stock 2G plastic piece of junk, and they can be had for between 20 and 60 bux I believe.
    - This space is reserved for the memory of B.A.C: 5/21/82 - 9/9/01 R.I.P. -
    - 1997 Civic EX: daily beater -
    - 1990 Eclipse GSX: It will run again...I hope -
    - www.mitsubishigraveyard.com -

Word Homey Killer CAR!!! Gets yo-self a DSM Links tuner and shit and a bigg ass turbo likes a 35R and shit you'll run 9's.
    Geo Metro Type-R
    JDM 3-1 Header

WORD

Thread Information