Thread: exhaust gasket issues 94 civic hatch

Default exhaust gasket issues 94 civic hatch

Hi all. So I have this 94 civic hatch beater. a couple of months ago I removed the downpipe to do something with the bottom side of the engine. The gasket that went in between the header and the downpipe looked like it was made of paper and it split in 3 peices. I replaced it with an aluminum gasket that looked like it was about right I think it went on a 96 civic. I am not sure what type of header this is because it came with the car when I bought it. I can feel exhaust puffing out of the point where the header meets the downpipe when the engine is running and I'm not sure how to fix it. I took it to a shop and they told me It needed a flex pipe. Im pretty sure no eg civic I have worked on had a flexpipe. They use spring bolts to make sure parts of it can vibrate. Anyone have any idea what I should do to fix it?

just in case anyone is interested the grey stuff in the middle of the 2 sides of the metal gasket had mostly deteriorated away in less than a year. I dont remember where I bought it and I might have had to modify it to fit so Im probalby not getting my money back. I got a new one on there and it seems to be doing fine now.

Thread Information