Thread: Headlighn't come on

Default Headlighn't come on

My headlights are off although parking lights etc. work. I've checked the under hood fuses and lighting relay above those. All good checked the bulbs filaments are OK. I'm guessing the switch is the culprit but is there something I can check before springing for a new switch? I don't have a wiring diagram.

Thanks, Bob

Bob, you may already have this resolved but, if not, go to the Downloads tab and locate the Honda downloads.
    There is a 1998-2002 service manual there, which includes wiring diagrams and troubleshooting info.
    Try the high beams to see if they are working.
    If so, it may be as simple as a bad low beam relay.

BTW, I only found your vehicle info in your profile.
    It's always best to include vehicle year and model when posting questions.

Quote Originally Posted by ImportMike View Post
    Bob, you may already have this resolved but, if not, go to the Downloads tab and locate the Honda downloads.
    There is a 1998-2002 service manual there, which includes wiring diagrams and troubleshooting info.
    Try the high beams to see if they are working.
    If so, it may be as simple as a bad low beam relay.

BTW, I only found your vehicle info in your profile.
    It's always best to include vehicle year and model when posting questions.
    Thanks, I've through the relays, fuses etc. and come down to the multiplex control unit as the only thing that seems logical at this point. I've taken out the glove compartment etc. to access this unit but I've had difficulty just pulling it out. Is there a trick, or just keep wiggling and pulling?

Bob

I'm OK figured it out, removed MCU. Broke two tabs but it was pretty tight so I think it will be OK when I replace it. The part number I need is 38850-S84-A000M1 but the dealers don't seem to have it. Looks like I'll need a recycled one from E-Bay unless anyone knows an alternative.
    Bob

ImportMike,

Got around to downloading the manual thanks much! Great resource.

Bob

Well I replaced the MCU with another used one and headlights are still out:^ ( I have tested fuses, relays and jumped the relay. With the headlight pins jumped on the relay lights work fine. For the light switch I jumped pins 4 to 11 on the connector block and no lights. But I'm going to go back and test those wires more carefully. The wiring diagrams I have are from 3 different sources and they are not all the same so there's some confusion. Tomorrow I'm going to test the relays more carefully.

Bob

More on the saga:^ ) I've been trying to trouble shoot the ground pin connections on the coil. Tried one at a time then both. I rigged a pig tail to slide in with the coil pins and then grounded that. Short version is I next started working with the steering column switch. Pin 4 to 11 jump does not turn the lights on so I'm thinking the switch is OK. BTW the number 4 pin at the steering column (without my pig tail jumping) showed 2 V but decayed with time, #11 is a solid connection to ground. If I jump my pig tail coil connection to pin 4, everything works fine, brights, regular etc. So the problem is either in the wiring or the MCU. The wiring is labeled BLU/RED in the diagram and I found two of those on the fuse block. One comes into a connector on the outside of the block the other to a connector on the inside. Looks like the inside one goes up into the dash and over to the driver's side so presumably to the switch connector. I tried measuring continuity between them but got none. It may be the pins I'm using to connect so I'll have to go back and try again. Does anyone have details on the connectors? I located an online manual but lots of diagrams not so clear what wires go where. Anyway primary conclusion is bypassing everything between the coil ground sides and the switch makes things work so problem is either the harness or the MCU. I can get a factory fresh MCU for $80 but I'm still not sure that's the culprit. If I can confirm the two BLU/RED wires on either side of the MCU block are in fact the wires to the coils I can jump them and see what happens. ITMT I'll try testing continuity on the wires again.
    Bob

Thread Information