Thread: 95 Integra power steering issue

Question 95 Integra power steering issue

I have a 1995 Integra 1.8L PFI DOHC 4cyl. coupe. it's been sitting in the garage for about 2-3 years. it still runs (no engine issues) but I've been having issues with the powersteering and it leaking out pretty rapidly. When I was driving it still I also had tons of full and empty powersteering bottles in the back and left puddles anywhere I stopped for a while. I tried powersteering stop leak the kind thats liquid like the actual fluid but those never worked or even slowed it down. I couldnt afford insurance and to keep adding fluid everyday so I just parked it in the garage and put it non-op.
    I'm just starting to clean it up and get it back on the road so I'm planning to repair it myself and get it all legit again. I've tracked (I HOPE) the problem down from the PS resevoir lines to the pump and there are no signs of leakage or buildup. I followed those lines down i'm assuming it's the steering bow which is connected to the rack and pinion. I got under the car and looked at the inner CV boot on the inner tie-rod drivers side. the boot ripped loose from the end clamp(the narrow end closest to the wheel) and when I push the rubber back grease and what I believe is also powersteering fluid leaks out. I have never done this kind of major repair on a car before but i'm pretty handy and have repaired other household things and have done tuneups and things ofthat nature. I've read some online manuals and took the tires off and looked at all the components and it seems like it wont be too difficult with the proper tools and a guide. If anyone out there has done this repair and might have helpful tips I'd appreciate it. thanx. I'll post some pictures of the actual cv boot and it's location so you can see and tell me if I'm off or wrong. thank you

-Max

Exclamation SOME PICS OF THE PROBLEM

I DIDNT REALIZE HOW DID IT WAS UNTIL I STARTED TAKING PICTURES. I SPRAYED EVERYTHING DOWN WITH DEGREASER AND HOT WATER AND GOT ALL THE DIRT AND GRIME OFF. ILL TAKE BETTER PICS TODAY, HOPE THESE HELP. THIS LIQUID IS GETTING INTO THE BOOTS AND I DONT KNOW WHERE IT'S FROM BUT IM PRETTY SURE THATS NOT GOOD. the car isn't running right now because of a dead battery and im pretty sure most of the ps fluid is gone. i dont know where its coming from can i put ps fluid in the resevoir and turn the whell until i see it leaking?? THE LAST PIC IS WHERE I THINK IT COULD EB LEAKING. NOT SURE IF THATS A GEARBOX OR STEERING BOX, WHERE THE STEERING WHEEL AND AXLE MEET.

2015-09-14 20.25.09.jpg2015-09-14 20.26.29.jpg2015-09-14 20.26.35.jpg2015-09-14 20.26.46.jpg2015-09-14 20.34.31.jpg
    Last edited by makinu916; 09-15-2015 at 01:37 PM.

Default more PICS

SOME OF THESE PICS ARE FROM UNDERNEATH AND THE TOP. SORRY IF THEY ARE CONFUSING. IM NOT SURE WHAT THOSE LINES ARE CALLED OR WHAT ITS GOING INTO

2015-09-14 20.34.26.jpg2015-09-14 20.34.11.jpg2015-09-14 20.33.59.jpg2015-09-14 20.32.46.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

hope i can help u in this suggestion dude, try to change the seals both side of your rack n pinion u can buy full kit of that, but before changing does things check if there's a excessive play on the main shaft of the pinion where the ball and socket attached. if you didn't see any problem with that you can change only seals.

I'm not too familiar with where everything is exactly. I have the front end up on jack stands so I can get under it pretty easy. Would I be looking for visual damage or do I just grab it and try to move it to see if it feels loose? is something leaking into those boots from above?

Thread Information