Thread: 1986 Honda Wagovan: Help!

Default 1986 Honda Wagovan: Help!

I own a 1986 Honda Civic Station Wagon with a 1500 SI carborated engine. It has started dying once it warms up and comes to a normal idle, and whenever I come to a stop. Also, the muffler has started sputtering slightly. I took apart and cleaned the carborator, replaced the gaskets and the filter, which seemed to make it run and sound better but it still quits. My other thought is the fuel filter but I want other opinions before I spend more time and money without fixing the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonictunes View Post
    I own a 1986 Honda Civic Station Wagon with a 1500 SI carborated engine. It has started dying once it warms up and comes to a normal idle, and whenever I come to a stop. Also, the muffler has started sputtering slightly. I took apart and cleaned the carborator, replaced the gaskets and the filter, which seemed to make it run and sound better but it still quits. My other thought is the fuel filter but I want other opinions before I spend more time and money without fixing the problem.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the SI was fuel injected (d15a? If I remember right). Not trying to give you grief, just trying to be informative so you can provide others with the right info. Your issues could be a number of things.. Fuel, spark, timing. My initial guess would be something more ignition related like timing, spark plugs, wires, distributor cap/rotor.. Something along those lines. The color of the spark plugs can tell you a lot. Black means too rich.. So either some ignitio problem or fuel enrichments issues on the carb. White would be too lean and usually an indication of too much timing or not enough fuel. These are only a couple examples. I hope you can figure it out.. We've all been there

Quote Originally Posted by 0bLiViOuS View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the SI was fuel injected (d15a? If I remember right). Not trying to give you grief, just trying to be informative so you can provide others with the right info. Your issues could be a number of things.. Fuel, spark, timing. My initial guess would be something more ignition related like timing, spark plugs, wires, distributor cap/rotor.. Something along those lines. The color of the spark plugs can tell you a lot. Black means too rich.. So either some ignitio problem or fuel enrichments issues on the carb. White would be too lean and usually an indication of too much timing or not enough fuel. These are only a couple examples. I hope you can figure it out.. We've all been there

I know that, I believe it was switched to a carborator by the first owner as my carb is different then the one that should have been stock for my car. I'm running a general tune-up but I'm concerned about the catalytic convertor

Thread Information