Thread: 89 Honda Civic not shifting out of first gear.

Question 89 Honda Civic not shifting out of first gear.

Was driving down the highway a few weeks back and something gave way. I rolled to a stop and then was able to limp the car home, but it would no longer kick into any gear other than first. It would rev way up, but never shift into second. The tranny was slipping pretty bad going into overdrive,(car has 230,000 miles on it) so I swapped out the tranny from a car with 130,000 miles on it. Used dextron 3 atf fluid on the updated transmission and I am still having the same issue. I bought a reconditioned shift solenoid online and installed that to rule out that issue and no change. Still not shifting out of first gear. Reverse does work. Anyone ever have or heard of this issue before? If anyone has any remedies it would be GREATLY appreciated! If not, this will probably be going to the junkyard.
    '94 Honda Civic CX
    '89 Honda Civic DX - sold

if you replaced the tranny already I would think that it has something to do with the vacuum. I am assuming its an automatic, which uses vacuum to shift. Have a look at the vacuum diagram and see if you can find the problem.

Thread Information