Thread: H22 Type-S (Red Top) Swap into EK9 ?!

Default H22 Type-S (Red Top) Swap into EK9 ?!

Hey guys..
    I seem to have a made a booboo :[ .. to start with, I have an ek9 sedan. I was running an all motor d16 with a crower cam + srp pistons, tuned with hondata. All was well till I blew it with nitrous (it was the mechanics fault :P..dumb !@#$ put a 150 shot nozzle instead of 50)

anyhow. Its hard to find a decent engine where I am and I came across an H22 red top at a shop. It was the only one available in the entire city. I googled on my phone, read the specs i.e 217 hp, 163 tq, and thought should be as fast as a k20a for half the price (was I wrong?)

anyway, I paid the guy, brought the engine to my mechanic (not the same one who mistook a 150 shot nozzle for a 50 :P) and hes gonna get around to it in a few days. Only problem is..
    I just read online that the H22A Type-s engine has some ATTS crap or whatever and that this transmission simply wont work in civic :[ !

I called the mechanic (hes installed regular H22's in tons of ek's as well as other b18s and b16's). I told him about the ATTS, and he said not to worry. I fear he may not know what he is talking about. Is it possible to disable ATTS? replace with regular LSD? or will i need to search for a different transmission altogether? which is gonna be an immense headache. I will not be able to sell this engine off as there are pretty much no buyers for it here.

anyway at all I can get around it?

to add further insult to injury, I asked this guy who was running this engine in a prelude (different city) about the figures his car was making. His reply "well my engine was in excellent condition when I got it, very low mileage and It made 150whp)..

150 wHP!?! out of a 2.2L type-s?! thats about as much as the regular H22's here make? between 150-155 whp. Shouldnt a Stock type-s make as much as a K20A ? albeit torqier ?

I would appreciate any help at all, I'm a newbie to dohcs and have managed to get myself into a jam by my impulse buying. :[.. I jsut wanted a stock motor for daily driving that was at least 165-170 whp, what kinda ridiculous powertrain loss is it for a 217 bhp engine to be making 150? my all motor sohc made 137 :[ !

thanks in advance for absolutely any advice you may be able to offer me.

The ActiveTorqueTransferSystem is ONLY on the USDM Type-SH Prelude (97-01). The JDM/EDM Type-S/Euro-R red top H22A DOES NOT have this mumbo-jumbo on it. You should have no worries, as the trans from the SH H22A4 will not fit any other H/F series, and vice versa. However, if your engine is an H22A4 and the halfshaft is missing and big black cokbox with millions of wires is in its place, good luck! ; )

Also, I had a Type-S mill in my old CB7, with I/H/E and a chipped/mapped P28, car made 183 whp and like 152 wtq. So your info source either has a weak motor, or just the base H22 USDM, that motor in reality makes like 180-190 hp, SH and JDM H22 make 200ish, and Type S Euro-R make the 220/163 numbers, just so ya know.
    Last edited by KoNEY; 03-12-2012 at 07:24 PM.

jumping jesus on a pogo stick :[ ! the transmission model reads 'm2u4' . Its an h22a4BLAHBLAH and uh..theres a nice big atts module that my mechanic has removed from the block :P .. he still seems determined on installing it.

he keeps reiterating this gearbox is too good (aggressive) to scrap for an m2a4 and that hes gonna try getting it to work without the atts using an adapter plate, failin which he says hes gonna take out the gears and um install them in the housing of an m2a4 tranny so as to keep the ratios and final drive and still get it to work . I'm a newbie to all this so bear with me if this sounds idiotic but i'm just repeating what he said to me.

other than that, seeing as this is supposed to be a 12 year old engine the first thing I had him do when it came off the lorry was to do a leak down test on it. At 100 psi from the compressor it yielded 98 psi on all 4 cylinders :/ .. a bit weirded out by that. I dont suppose I've lucked out in finding an engine with extremely low mileage on it?

another thing about the transmission the guy commented on was , when he opened it up, he says the clutch seems really small compared to the ones in the regular h22's (blacktops). He seemed puzzled by it saying the flywheel seemed lighter in comparison which was great but the clutch itself didnt seem as sturdy as the other ones.

Quote Originally Posted by sir_lagalot View Post
    jumping jesus on a pogo stick :[ ! the transmission model reads 'm2u4' . Its an h22a4BLAHBLAH and uh..theres a nice big atts module that my mechanic has removed from the block :P .. he still seems determined on installing it.

he keeps reiterating this gearbox is too good (aggressive) to scrap for an m2a4 and that hes gonna try getting it to work without the atts using an adapter plate, failin which he says hes gonna take out the gears and um install them in the housing of an m2a4 tranny so ase to keep the ratios and final drive and still get it to work . I'm a newbie to all this so bear with me if this sounds idiotic but i'm just repeating what he said to me.

other than that, seeing as this is supposed to be a 12 year old engine the first thing I had him do when it came off the lorry was to do a leak down test on it. At 100 psi from the compressor it yielded 98 psi on all 4 cylinders :/ .. a bit weirded out by that. I dont suppose I've lucked out in finding an engine with extremely low mileage on it?

another thing about the transmission the guy commented on was , when he opened it up, he says the clutch seems really small compared to the ones in the regular h22's (blacktops). He seemed puzzled by it saying the flywheel seemed lighter in comparison which was great but the clutch itself didnt seem as sturdy as the other ones.
    Um, yeah. Save yourself the impressive labor bill he is about to rack up on, sell your engine and buy a regular h.

Quote Originally Posted by KoNEY View Post
    Um, yeah. Save yourself the impressive labor bill he is about to rack up on, sell your engine and buy a regular h.
    if the labour bill is not an issue do you reckon it can still be done? Labour doesnt cost as much as it does abroad (i'm in asia) anyway. A complete engine install with wiring etc costs around um..400-500 dollars? he says he'll charge around 100 dollars for the the gear transfer to the other housing. He also had original type-s mounts lying in the back which he's selling for another 100.

but labour aside is it even possible whatever hes planning?

the engine cost me 2k :/ .. selling it would take months at this point. Plus I was somewhat thrilled at finding one in decent condition.

thanks for the help!

Thread Information