Default Overclocking

Alright. . so ive finally decided to do a bit of overclocking

setup

Asus P5q Turbo
    Intel Q9550
    8 gigs Gskill DDR2 1033

CPU is clocked from 2.83 up to 3.6

temps under full load maxed at 65 degrees

while idle stays pretty steady at 38-34-40-36 with little fluctuation by maybe a degree or two

Do these numbers look o.k. for a Q9550?

According to PC probe my vcore is @ 1.26, CPU temps @ 32 idle, m/b 22 idle

and under load. . cpu - 60 = degrees, m/b = 22 degress

but i dont know really how accurate PC probe is

What chipset are you running?

FSB speeds?

Depending on your Mobo and chip set, you can push 4Ghz if you run cool.

That processor isn't known for it's epic FSB speeds.

Upgrade that shit to an i5, son
    Why don't you go to vegas and gamble all your money away? There's no regulation stopping it. You don't because you don't want to lose your house, car and savings. Now if you can go to vegas without the risk of loss because the tax payer will pick it up, does your gambling now need to be regulated? Of course it does, because the regulation of failure has been eliminated

not upgrading shit til the new intels and mobos release lol

FSB is at 450

and its a P45 chipset

Quote Originally Posted by Cage View Post
    not upgrading shit til the new intels and mobos release lol

FSB is at 450

and its a P45 chipset
    With the right cooling you can get 3.8-3.9 Ghz and 600 FSB speeds.

This is the extreme level though.

Which new Intels? The Ivy Bridges?
    Why don't you go to vegas and gamble all your money away? There's no regulation stopping it. You don't because you don't want to lose your house, car and savings. Now if you can go to vegas without the risk of loss because the tax payer will pick it up, does your gambling now need to be regulated? Of course it does, because the regulation of failure has been eliminated

Yea, ivy bridge

And for it's going to have to be a complete overhaul

CPU, mb, ram, video card, and possibly bigger psu

Quote Originally Posted by Cage View Post
    Yea, ivy bridge

And for it's going to have to be a complete overhaul

CPU, mb, ram, video card, and possibly bigger psu
    The bitch about upgrading.

It's hard to purchase bit by bit by bit when new shit is coming out all the time.

Pretty much a bulk buy other than a case, PSU, and memory. They have a little longer staying power.

I've fought with upgrading my rig from 2007, but in the end, a complete overhaul would be the best option.

The Ivy bridges look like they are going to be some fun for OCing given that their power consumption is going to be about 20-30% less than the Sandy Bridge(supposedly)

how did you attach probes?
    I Put the OK in Overkill
    ---
    FknTkn:this thread has given me so many orgasms its unbelieveable.
    nuklear: fcking hot girls and their hotness. I want to run a rape train on every girl in this thread

>>>>>The Award winning, 3x nominated, Greatest Thread in the history of HHU<<<

His bullet was close, I lost my hat. My bullet was closer, he lost his head.

Through the anus

I Put the OK in Overkill
    ---
    FknTkn:this thread has given me so many orgasms its unbelieveable.
    nuklear: fcking hot girls and their hotness. I want to run a rape train on every girl in this thread

>>>>>The Award winning, 3x nominated, Greatest Thread in the history of HHU<<<

His bullet was close, I lost my hat. My bullet was closer, he lost his head.

I just use CPUID to monitor temps and voltage, and Prime 95 for my stress tests

Last edited by Cage; 02-01-2012 at 03:15 PM.

so are you just overclocking to kill time before ivy drops or are you just tweaking for fun?

any software is gonna be off a little bit... but since you can't really stress test while in BIOS it's basically the only reliable way. when i had my Q6600 OC to 3.2Ghz my temps were around the same on air and dropped some on liquid. there will be a point where you can't keep it stable anyways but 4Ghz is possible, even though i wouldn't attempt it on air regardless. prime95 and other stress tests are fine, but i don't really consider them to be "real" conditions, meaning they aren't games or rendering or anything. just use real computing conditions to test stability... i don't even use that type of stuff any more i just attempt to use the computer normally and backtrack if something goes wrong

will be upgrading my 1st gen i7 as soon as i feel up to spending the money on some new gear... and i can promise that i will be overclocking the SHIT out of it hoping to get as close to 5Ghz on the same liquid loop. i'm hoping ASUS has some beastly mobos lined up because I want another express chipset like on my old rampage.

Quote Originally Posted by EXCellR8 View Post
    so are you just overclocking to kill time before ivy drops or are you just tweaking for fun?

any software is gonna be off a little bit... but since you can't really stress test while in BIOS it's basically the only reliable way. when i had my Q6600 OC to 3.2Ghz my temps were around the same on air and dropped some on liquid. there will be a point where you can't keep it stable anyways but 4Ghz is possible, even though i wouldn't attempt it on air regardless. prime95 and other stress tests are fine, but i don't really consider them to be "real" conditions, meaning they aren't games or rendering or anything. just use real computing conditions to test stability... i don't even use that type of stuff any more i just attempt to use the computer normally and backtrack if something goes wrong

will be upgrading my 1st gen i7 as soon as i feel up to spending the money on some new gear... and i can promise that i will be overclocking the SHIT out of it hoping to get as close to 5Ghz on the same liquid loop. i'm hoping ASUS has some beastly mobos lined up because I want another express chipset like on my old rampage.
    im just clocking it up for the hell of it.

I ran it on skyrim and crisis and everything seems stable

I can only seem to get the video cards up to around 750mhz, and the ram to 1050 though. Fans boosted up to 60% and im still pulling a max of 96 degrees Celsius through fur mark, and if i bump the gpu speed up any higher i get artifacts.

i would just leave the graphics alone... i ran my old 4870 with much faster clock speeds on a custom BIOS and to be completely honest i got maybe a few frames... not worth it. the RV770 GPU just runs really hot and without liquid it's just going to be like that.

HD7000 series, while expensive now, would be an absolutely amazing upgrade for you... so i would plan on grabbing one when you upgrade your other parts. the HD7950 should be reasonably priced a couple months from now and will probably become more popular than the 7970. i believe the 7990 is also due out within the next couple months but that's going to be a $700+ card easy...

Thread Information