View Poll Results: Which Case Would You Choose?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • NZXT Phantom PHAN-001BK

0 0%
  • COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced

4 66.67%
  • SILVERSTONE RAVEN Series RV03B-WA

0 0%
  • AZZA Hurrican 2000R SAZ-2000R

0 0%
  • COUGAR Evolution Black SECC ATX Full Tower

1 16.67%
  • Rosewill THOR V2 Gaming ATX Full Tower

0 0%
  • Thermaltake Overseer RX-I VN700M1W2N

0 0%
  • Other. . .

1 16.67%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help me choose a case

Quote Originally Posted by EXCellR8 View Post
    lol that looks mad dumb. well on second thought piranhas would be pretty badass... at least until they ate your graphics card!

that danger den acrylic is only $149.99 plus SH on frozencpu.com

hmmmmm
    Well it uses mineral oil, so all your fish will be dead in about 15 seconds .

I might actually do the oil rig with my older desktop to use as a media server/show piece in my man cave.

I guess fake fish would work
    Why don't you go to vegas and gamble all your money away? There's no regulation stopping it. You don't because you don't want to lose your house, car and savings. Now if you can go to vegas without the risk of loss because the tax payer will pick it up, does your gambling now need to be regulated? Of course it does, because the regulation of failure has been eliminated

Gotta love Amazon. . . place an order with 5-8 days free shipping and get ur shit in 2 days lol

final results of the case transfer

^^^^^ next to the old CM storm case

nice build

that keyboard doesn't belong!

Quote Originally Posted by Siegler View Post
    that keyboard doesn't belong!
    thanks man. .
    that keyboard is just for my test/build bench

And just to clear up some things i have read about in reviews. . .

a) All i have read about and seen in videos is how long it takes to build a system in this case. One Frozen CPU tech actually claimed it took him 3 hours just to install his drives and route his cables. You have to be a complete fucking noob if it takes you that long to build this case. Everything fits perfect together. Regardless of the 90 degree rotation, and routing drive cables from back to front, its no harder, or easier then setting up any other case.

b) the 'build quality' reviews are 50/50 it seems. I can say for sure that the build quality is just as good as you can expect from any steel/plastic case combo from any top end manufacturer

c) alot of people struggle with the power supply for some reason. .again, i put them in the idiot category.

Overall, there are not alot of flaws i can find in this case, although i will say, im going to have to be extra careful with the usb 3.0/audio door because the hinges feel weak and easy to break.

Otherwise, i have not tested temperatures . . but the airflow seems to be doing exactly as advertised.

I installed 2 extra fans in the case, one at the back to pull heat off my 2nd video card, and one on the right side of the case to get air to the hard drives. I am still a bit worried about keeping my raptor drive cool, and if i have issues, i will probably use the internal hard drive bays and put a fan in front of it.

Looks good man.

Was it a straight swap?

If so, I can't see how it wouldn't be cooler considering all the room you have.

Ever thought of liquid cooling the CPU? Corsair sells an awesome kit called the HydroSeries. No bullshit UV green crap and tubing everywhere. Just a heatsink, radiator and a modest closed loop style design.

That's the 100, but they make a 40 version that's about 50 bucks, too/
    Why don't you go to vegas and gamble all your money away? There's no regulation stopping it. You don't because you don't want to lose your house, car and savings. Now if you can go to vegas without the risk of loss because the tax payer will pick it up, does your gambling now need to be regulated? Of course it does, because the regulation of failure has been eliminated

Yea, it was direct swap. Idle temps on stock clocks were considerably lower

And I actually have a h80 on order, though I admit this case sucks for water cooling and that's about the biggest I can even go for a radiator

Quote Originally Posted by Cage View Post
    Yea, it was direct swap. Idle temps on stock clocks were considerably lower

And I actually have a h80 on order, though I admit this case sucks for water cooling and that's about the biggest I can even go for a radiator
    I've seen 4-6 degree drops under max load with just the 40 series around the web.

Since I'm doing an open test bench rig, I'm getting the big boy.

The 80 is pretty awesome though. And it's idiot proof.

oh man those corsair kits are whack... 3/8" ID for a quad, fuck that noise. if you're really going to OC anything you'll want a half-inch kit with a pump that can actually move some liquid. otherwise it's not worth the extra effort imho. i installed the h60 for a friend and it was fucking weak... like very low flow and the radiator got mad hot with mild OC and fans cranked. returned it and got the real deal:

http://www.swiftech.com/H2O-x20-Edge-HD.aspx

^10x better; you can use whatever tubing you want it doesn't matter... swiftech > *

oh man those corsair kits are whack... 3/8" ID for a quad, fuck that noise. if you're really going to OC anything you'll want a half-inch kit with a pump that can actually move some liquid. otherwise it's not worth the extra effort imho. i installed the h60 for a friend and it was fucking weak... like very low flow and the radiator got mad hot with mild OC and fans cranked. returned it and got the real deal:

http://www.swiftech.com/H2O-x20-Edge-HD.aspx

^10x better; you can use whatever tubing you want it doesn't matter... swiftech > *
    i cant fit a dual radiator in my case. . so should i just stay air cooled?

i cant fit a dual radiator in my case. . so should i just stay air cooled?
    Buy a dremmel *****

the swiftech kits include an adapter so you can have the radiator fit externally using a single fan port, 120mm only though. an external radiator might be better for that case seeing as you wouldn't need to worry about it bringing internal case temps up.

http://www.swiftech.com/mcb-120radbox.aspx

the only problem there is i don't see any tube ports on the back of that case so you would have to either make your own or mount the unit elsewhere. it's not a huge deal to cut through a case wall, and you can make it look nice, but placement would be key.

Its pretty fucking retarded, they put two water cooling grommets behind the fan controllers at the top towards the front of the case.

Makes no sense at all as to why they would fit them there. . absolutely no space around them to mount a radiator

hmm well then it seems your options are limited with that chassis then, and without modification it would probably be a pain in the ass to get a good loop implemented. i know some people just mount the radiator at the bottom as an intake but this will cause internal temps to rise a little bit because the hot air from the radiator is now being pulled up toward the components. as a trade off though your CPU will remain nice and cool because the rad fans are pulling cooler air in across the plenums. i have my dual 120mm mounted at the top of the HAF in the same fashion but the warmer air stays up top and is sent out through the back immediately... i have no idea what would happen inside the raven

and if you're wondering... no, it doesn't really matter where the radiator is as far as flow is concerned.

looks like alot of work lol

that's pretty fucking serious... and i wouldn't recommend anything like that, not by a long shot lol. a loop like that is going to need a LOT of coolant and the kits with the pump built right into the radiator are better anyways

idk i guess that chassis just isn't all that great for liquid unless you want to try your luck with a single radiator kit, but if you ask me it wouldn't be that much better than just staying on air

that's pretty fucking serious... and i wouldn't recommend anything like that, not by a long shot lol. a loop like that is going to need a LOT of coolant and the kits with the pump built right into the radiator are better anyways

idk i guess that chassis just isn't all that great for liquid unless you want to try your luck with a single radiator kit, but if you ask me it wouldn't be that much better than just staying on air
    well, i have a H80 on order.. ill try it. If it brings temps down at all then ill be happy with the added bonus of less noise in the room

man..you should have gotten the HAF

Quote Originally Posted by Siegler View Post
    man..you should have gotten the HAF
    not all . . . never planned on going with a full blown water cooled set up anyway. Im quite happy with the case i have, and if you look up RV03 vs the CM HAF, this case actually provides better stock cooling

...and if you look up RV03 vs the CM HAF, this case actually provides better stock cooling
    that may be true, but what is stock cooling gonna do with non-stock clocks?
    Last edited by EXCellR8; 02-02-2012 at 08:13 PM.

not all . . . never planned on going with a full blown water cooled set up anyway. Im quite happy with the case i have, and if you look up RV03 vs the CM HAF, this case actually provides better stock cooling
    just busting ya for not going the safe bet

that may be true, but what is stock cooling gonna do with non-stock clocks?
    Im oc'ed now and actually have about 24 degrees to play with

the problem is my CPU ultimately, the stepping is locked . . . And true, the HAF is certainly a bigger case. But sometimes, you just need to deviate from the norm, and its fun to not always go with the 'safe bets'

If the H80 brings my temps down another 15 degrees or more, ill get brave and clock upwards of 4 gigs, but realistically, im not going to get much more then that with this CPU anyway.

Even at 3.6 gigs, its not slow by any means for 2 year old hardware

Thread Information