Thread: Radeon HD 7950 due in Feb, specs leaked

Default Radeon HD 7950 due in Feb, specs leaked

Unfortunately the core clock speed, the exact memory clock speed, and target price-point remain unknown at this point. Power consumption figures were also kept under wraps, but the card is expected to feature the same ZeroCore technology as the HD 7970 that can shut off virtually every aspect of Tahiti and bring power consumption down to under 3W when in a long idle state.
    not sure if those disabled units will be able to be unlocked, but it's not too far off from the performance of the higher end HD7970--which is now available for those who have gobs of money lying around.

as to pricing my guess would be $350-$400 range...

When I think specs leaked, I would imagine the important stuff like clock speed, memory speed, etc.

AMD get your drivers together and I'll consider switching over from the green team.

yea sorry i forgot to link the actual article lol

i think the actual clock speeds are still unreleased but it should be roughly around the same as the 7970. that shit isn't really that important anyway as radeons are loaded up with stream processors and onboard RAM. my 5870 isn't really that fast when you look at the clocks but will easily outperform many cards in the same performance tier just because of the architecture and power efficiency.

as for drivers... AMD is definitely in the #2 spot as far as support goes but i haven't used forceware with an actual nvidia card. in a very long time, so i wouldn't know. i've definitely been a little disappointed with AMD's drivers but their cards and features easily make up for it imo.

Cause Redheads are better GVB109's Avatar
    Images

Drivers, Drivers Drivers
    Actually I was implying that waffles were greater then pancakes, but your logic works too.

Everyone says AMD's drivers are so bad, but I have never had an issue with them. On the other hand, I have built some systems with Nvidia cards, and I have run into a few issues. Something else I have noticed is how Nvidia cards display some effects in game, such as the smoke in skyrim. It all appears grainy and pixelated, dispite being a 3gig card... Whereas my dual 6850s display all the effects in skyrim perfectly. = /

I think people give AMD a bad name because they have had some shitty experiences with them in the past, now they wont give them the time of day to redeem themselves.
    "those are gay as fuck." - FknTkn

"Thanks for your input FknTkn." - Kingkodo

"no prob man." - FknTkn

I have 0 issues with AMD.

I don't get any more then i would with nvidia.
    06' Audi A4 S-Line

i've had some user-specific issues with AMD drivers, but from a universal standpoint for the most part i've been mostly fine. i will say that i'm not terribly impressed with eyefinity so far but support will only get better. i think my biggest beef with it so far is setup and how it distorts the FOV in a lot of games that don't support it as well, but i can look past that and usually find tweaks to make it better.

and as far as graphics QUALITY is concerned, ATI/AMD has always been sharper imo. when i moved from my 9800GT to the HD4870 i could instantly tell that everything appeared somewhat "cleaner" and even more so in games that were tailored to ATI devices and drivers.

i'm seriously considering blowing a good chunk of my tax return on a 7970, because 2 more GB would help a lot. my 5870 struggles a little bit @ 5760 x 1080p but it's one of the first eyefinity cards so that's acceptable. i just need to tone down the detail a little bit but everything i've tried is playable.

Images

Its hit and miss, but there are really times that ATI drivers are just terri-bad.

SWTOR for example, SLI runs perfect out the box, Crossfire just got it working in the 12.1 preview in decemeber.

Granted Nvidia got SLI from Voodoo 3D and that company had some amazing engineers, but crossfire has always been a pain in the ass to setup because of how ATI has it running.

Oh and CCC is a steaming pile of ass, I miss the nvidia control panel
    Actually I was implying that waffles were greater then pancakes, but your logic works too.

Maybe I am just accustomed to using CCC but I find it to be very easy to navigate, although I liked the design a few editions back better than current. Also - Crossfire is easy to setup and runs perfectly for everything...How is it a pain in the ass? You plug your shit in and it works instantly... Also - my buddy runs SLI nvidia cards that cost him around 500$, but my crossfire 6850s shit on his rig in benchmarks, and run better in BF3/Skyrim.

Again, not seeing how Nvidia cards are better, I really want to make a switch to Intel and Nvidia but so far, Nvidia doesnt seem to have anything that is convincing me.
    "those are gay as fuck." - FknTkn

"Thanks for your input FknTkn." - Kingkodo

"no prob man." - FknTkn

ATI cards have been proven to produce cleaner graphics quality in the past, but I'm not sure if that still carries on today...

I've had several sort of isolated user-specific issues with ATI/AMD drivers, but from a universal standpoint I've had mostly good experiences with all my radeons. To be fair tho I haven't used an actual nvidia graphics card in awhile but I haven't had any reason to go back. CCC is fine as long as you keep up with clean installs and for the most part their drivers are stable. I was a little disappointed with crossfire performance save for some games but it turned into more of a personal preference to run one powerful card anyway (power, noise, heat, etc..)

Eyefinity isn't perfect either as I've encountered an issue or two but I've pretty much fixed them. My current card struggles a little bit in games but I plan to blow a good chunk of my tax return on an upgrade. I'd love to see what nvidia has lined up but i already know what i should expect on the price tag. granted the latest AMD cards aren't cheap at any angle but I do love what I see...

Images

My 6850 rocks, my issue isnt with the Hardware or the Price.

ATI has had driver issues since the rage3d chipset.

Crossfire is easy to setup yes, but if it is working properly is another issue. Is it actually putting load on the other GPU?

Ive been with ATI for 4 generations of cards now, I keep buying them because I can make them work on my system. But I am always weary about their drivers.

here's the clock speeds:

GPU core clocked at 800MHz, down from 925MHz on its higher-end sibling, while its 3GB of GDDR5 memory runs at 1,250MHz (5GHz QDDR) but maintains the same same 384-bit memory interface.
    Faster than the GTX 580... allegedly

price point will probably be around $450

My last nvidia was a 9800gtx+. It was content with the card but i only bought ati before it, and I'll stick to amd for the foreseeable future. I'm on the fence about getting a 7xxx just because my single reference 6950 has not been defeated by any game in 2d 1080p in maxed out settings.

protect ya neck

Quote Originally Posted by PaXiL541 View Post
    My last nvidia was a 9800gtx+. It was content with the card but i only bought ati before it, and I'll stick to amd for the foreseeable future. I'm on the fence about getting a 7xxx just because my single reference 6950 has not been defeated by any game in 2d 1080p in maxed out settings.
    i skipped out on the 6xxx series so i'll probably end up buying a 7970 at some point this year, maybe sooner if i can catch up with my bills. after some tweaking i got my 5870 to run a bunch of games in eyefinity (5760x1080) on high detail with pretty good results, so she's still got some life in her. i'm still so tempted to just pull the plug on something new but i might wait until i piece together a new 3rd gen i7 machine.

Quote Originally Posted by zedron View Post
    Im still rocking dual 4870s.....
    i ran dual 48's on my last board, but they were just the half gig models. they were fast but i wasn't completely thrilled with CF performance. i'm sure if i had the 1gb versions it would have been better but figured moving to the 58xx series to adopt DX11 features was the way to go. of course the one 5870 cost me about $300 a couple years ago but w/e. i still have one of my visiontek 4870's, which i put in my dad's machine.

Quote Originally Posted by zedron View Post
    Im still rocking dual 4870s.....
    same here, dual 1gb 4870's . . .

I dropped in a EVGA GTX480 after people telling me it was better then my dual 4870's but honestly. . if it is better, its not good enough that i see any difference.

Skyrim runs/ran better on my 4870's then the 480

^those 4870's overclocked at all? performance numbers really lie with the drivers for games. crossfire only seemed to affect certain titles and others were just completely broken as far as support goes. another complaint was how noise two of them were and how much heat they threw. i literally had to leave my door open so it didn't get too hot... i might consider using CFX again some day but i can't see how anyone would need more than one current AMD card, other than to just say they do.

i remember a lot of people flashed their 4870's with ASUS top BIOS to get a 20% or so performance boost on the clocks. i did it with my original 512MB unit and it automatically brought the core clock to like 900 and the mem to around 1200 maybe? didn't see too much of a difference but it was an easy mod to perform.

My 4870s are stock clock and they run pretty warm I must say. I can pretty much run any game at max resolution and settings with no issues. The only setting I cant bump up is AA past 2x.

Quote Originally Posted by EXCellR8 View Post
    ^those 4870's overclocked at all? performance numbers really lie with the drivers for games. crossfire only seemed to affect certain titles and others were just completely broken as far as support goes. another complaint was how noise two of them were and how much heat they threw. i literally had to leave my door open so it didn't get too hot... i might consider using CFX again some day but i can't see how anyone would need more than one current AMD card, other than to just say they do.
    everything is slightly oc'ed and my fans run at 85% typically. . .

on some games, i just disable the x-fire to see if i get better performance, but really, the only game it seems to do anything for is World Of Warcraft when i get the urge to nerd it up

Other games i just leave it on X-fire and they run fine

I dont really have any games on PC that require DX11 so thats a non issue for me . . .at least for the time being

i think i left my pair around 60-70% whilst gaming and mayble 40 or 50% 2D or idle. i sort of miss that machine actually, but not the noise. past 70% fan with both cards installed the computer sounded like a dust buster. and it was all graphics card too because i was running liquid and had quiet case fans. overall i was happy with the HD4870 though coming from a 8800GT. i forget what got me to switch over but i haven't seen the need to go back yet.

which reminds me i need a decent LGA-775 cooler, if anyone has a spare i'll make an offer on it.

Thread Information