Thread: New Intel Chipset and Processors in April

Default New Intel Chipset and Processors in April

Intel plans to release a total of 25 models of its 22nm Ivy Bridge processors, including 17 CPUs for desktops and eight for notebooks and ultrabooks on or around April 8, 2012, according to PC makers in Taiwan.

source: http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20111228PD211.html

nothing on any 6 or 8 core chips yet, but there will be at least a few flagship processors at launch time this summer. stocked for the new chipset though, and by that time i will be plenty willing to upgrade from my 1st gen i7. hopefully mobo manufacturers have something good lined up

Cause Redheads are better GVB109's Avatar
    Images

This makes my inner AMD fanboy run into the corner and just cry.

1. Release a all new processor that just dominates current architectures, call it a I-series
    2. Continue to push it faster and faster while you have absolutely no competition, do it for the lols
    3. Remix to Sandy Bridge just because you fucking can.
    4. Bulldozer
    5. Release even more beastly processors even tho your only competition has yet to beat your original new release.
    Actually I was implying that waffles were greater then pancakes, but your logic works too.

yea i guess intel has always been ahead as far as advancing their technology and implementing new features. to be fair though i haven't used any bulldozer processors and for that matter any AMD CPUs other than an X4 955 and X6 1090T in the last few years. i have been waiting patiently for ivy bridge to arrive and skipping sandy bridge should be a good move for me. i can totally make my i7-920 last up until the 3rd generation unveiling and i already have my next machine somewhat outlined:

-latest generation Intel 22nm processor (prob i7-37xxK)
    -ivy bridge (socket unknown) X68? mobo w/ SSD cache, UEFI, hybrid graphics etc..
    -radeon HD7970 (at least for now unless nvidia unveils a comparable GPU)

if i could incorporate these new components while recycling some of my current setup i will be very happy with ivy bridge. but i definitely want a CPU, GPU upgrade some time this year! there are places where a 7970 can be had right now but i'm not going to jump on the bandwagon just yet...
    Last edited by EXCellR8; 01-02-2012 at 04:57 PM. Reason: added stuff

ill keep my x4 955 for another 6 years probably
    maybe amd will put out something new by then?

There still hasnt been any need for me to upgrade my Q9550

with that, 8gigs of RAM, and my old ATI 4870's . . . theres still very little out there that can even tickle this machine

well you're capped with DX10 anyway with a 4870 and the current generation i7 is much faster than the 9550. i thought my dual 4870s were the shit until i installed the single 5870 and it easily trumped them, not to mention it's fast in DX11 w/ tessellation. the Q series intel processors are definitely starting to show their age and even my 1st generation i7 is insanely powerful @ 4Ghz... even if it runs really hot. but that's wat liquid is for!

Quote Originally Posted by EXCellR8 View Post
    well you're capped with DX10 anyway with a 4870 and the current generation i7 is much faster than the 9550. i thought my dual 4870s were the shit until i installed the single 5870 and it easily trumped them, not to mention it's fast in DX11 w/ tessellation. the Q series intel processors are definitely starting to show their age and even my 1st generation i7 is insanely powerful @ 4Ghz... even if it runs really hot. but that's wat liquid is for!
    i dont run many games on the PC and the ones i do run dont require DX11

Im just not going to worry about upgrading again until something actually forces my hand

Quote Originally Posted by Cage View Post
    i dont run many games on the PC and the ones i do run dont require DX11

Im just not going to worry about upgrading again until something actually forces my hand

in before battlefield 5

Pun was here.

man nothing on a 6 or 8 core yet? cereals?

see thats my beef with Intel, honestly their ish is better than AMD, but for the money....id much rather have AMD. my Phenom II 6 core is a fast little bitch that was half the price of any Intel.

i dont play games on my PC, so until they come with a better price 6 or 8 core...ill stick with my AMD.

^^^ but honestly, when is the last time you touched 4 of the cores let alone, 6 of them????

6 and 8 core procs still feels like a gimmick to me

honestly ive maxed out the i5 quad computer I have at work.

At home i really havent used the 6 cores yet....but i wont doubt that i will. i dont actually look at my processes or anything but the little meter widget ive got to like 60% CPU at home.

i work my processors hard when i render 3D (i don't mean games). 3ds max coupled with V-Ray, or even mentalray for that matter, can use every core you have to 100%. that's the main reason i had to upgrade the cooling in my computer so my i7 wouldn't ignite during heavier render sessions. for games the CPU is never used all the way up even with the affinity set, but having more cores, a bigger cache, and a smaller die is never going to be a bad thing.

most of today's higher end quad and hex cores (i don't even think we need dual core cpus anymore tbh) will be sufficient enough to last awhile, and even demanding software isn't going to push the requirements for processing power that much. i'm a fucking nerd so i like buying up the latest stuff every now and then anyway
    Last edited by EXCellR8; 01-03-2012 at 02:07 AM.

Thread Information