Thread: Tested: AMD Radeon HD7970

Default Tested: AMD Radeon HD7970

looks like the next generation of radeons will be shipping out early next year...

-First GPU built with 28nm process
    -925MHz core clock, overclockable to 1.1GHz (1.22GHz possible)
    -3GB DDR5 memory
    -1.4 the Compute power of a 6970
    -Redesigned cooling system: 6th generation vapor chamber design, wider fans and quieter acoustics
    -AMD PowerTune w/ on-chip TDP monitoring and power scaling
    -AMD ZeroCore technology: <3W power use at blank screen, 15W at static screen
    -Dual BIOS toggle switch, like in the 6990
    -Ports: 1x DL-DVI, 1x HDMI, 2x mDP (HDMI to DVI and mDP to DVI adapters included)
    -Eyefinity 2.0 support with custom resolutions and new bezel compensation settings (driver update for 6000 series cards too).

While the 7970 doesn't top the 6990 in all tests, it matches the dual-GPU card's performance in many games and scales better at 2560x1600. It also soundly trumps Nvidia's currently single-card flagship, the GTX 580, though remember that this is a card that was launched over a year ago. For gamers who leapfrog purchase every other generation of cards--meaning those with the popular Radeon HD 5870 or 5850--the 7970 will be an incredible upgrade.
    may have to blow my tax return on one of these bad boys

whats the price and does it beat asus's dual gtx580 cores unlimited on one board?
    im thinking it doesnt... but it probably is cheaper than $1500
    also gtx590 slightly> 580

$500-600 for the 7970 i believe... which is nuts but i'm anxious to see what models arise from the top AMD brands (sapphire, visiontek etc...); if i remember correctly the GTX 590 is just a 580 with a little boost in speed. the card you are referring to is the Mars-II or something right? this radeon is 28nm and would probably match performance if OC headroom is reasonable. i mean cmon 3GB GDDR5 and over 1Ghz on the core(s)? add in better cooling, power, and expandability features and this radeon is looking pretty nice; with a much better price tag. if i could get close to $200 for my 5870 consider it done.

Images

I generation skip usually. my 6970 runs every game ive thrown at it so far on ultra with zero studdering, don't think ill need a new card till the next next gen haha

well actually the 5970 is more powerful than the 6970 and the 7970 will be too, so you just picked the wrong generation

driver support will of course be like it always is... just meh. sticking with AMD for now though, i've been happy with hd48xx and hd58xx cards. i had that 6950 too but i sold that off to dan and didn't really test it out too much.

man i love reading through hardocp articles... info from practically every angle. bottom line is the 7970 outperforms pretty much everything, but i have a feeling that by the time the new nvidia cards roll around it may lose its crown. that's okay though, cuz brand new high-end or flagship nvidia cards are damn expensive, and AMD is always competing for a better value to performance ratio.

good news is i can stop looking for a cheap 5970 now... shit was getting old anyway

Quote Originally Posted by EXCellR8 View Post
    $500-600 for the 7970 i believe... which is nuts but i'm anxious to see what models arise from the top AMD brands (sapphire, visiontek etc...); if i remember correctly the GTX 590 is just a 580 with a little boost in speed. the card you are referring to is the Mars-II or something right? this radeon is 28nm and would probably match performance if OC headroom is reasonable. i mean cmon 3GB GDDR5 and over 1Ghz on the core(s)? add in better cooling, power, and expandability features and this radeon is looking pretty nice; with a much better price tag. if i could get close to $200 for my 5870 consider it done.
    yeah the mars-II. things is ridiculous.. takes up 3 slots lol
    i need a new VC, this gts250 is so outdated lol

looks like a few enthusiastic users got their mitts on em early...

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/sho...php?t=18357324

wow those sold out fast...

Newegg Listings for HD7970

those prices suuuuuuuuuuuck though, fuck that for now... wait for tax return

Thread Information