Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Honda Accord antifreeze leak rear of engine near oil filter

Default Honda Accord antifreeze leak rear of engine near oil filter

I changed the oil and filter on my Honda Accord now I have an antifreeze leak near the oil filter

I have a 94 Honda Accord non vtec 4 cylinder with manual 5 speed transmission only 50K miles on it now in August 2011

I changed the oil and filter as I do every 6 months, and now have an antifreeze leak in same area as the oil filter

To perform the oil and filter change I raised the car using a hydralic jack placed under the cross beam under the engine on the drivers side. I did have to raise it high so that I could place jack stand under the jack pin on drivers side. I lowered the car onto the jack stand on drivers side jack pin.

Then I proceeded to remove the oil plug bolt and oil filter, drained the oil, and I put on new oil filter replaced the oil plug bolt and added 4 quarts of oil.

I again raised drivers side using hydralic jack under the cross beam (I have seen mechanics working on this car do this before, and I have done so myself with no problems before) I then removed the jack stand and lowered the hydrallic jack

Started the car and now after car running for approx 10-15 minutes, I have an antifreeze leak (green watery fluid) that drips from driveaxle boot on drivers side leak comes from the same area as the oil filter.

Leak drips for several minutes after turn off engine then stops

I know it is GREEN fluid leaking, so NOT believe this is leaking oil at oil filter.

Frustrating, I have done oil changes before and never caused such a problem. Maybe I raised drivers side of vehicle too high and broke some seal.

I know there is a drain bolt near the oil filter to drain antifreeze, but I did not touch it, so not believe that is the problem

The leak seems too far back to be from the water pump, and none of the belts have any antifreeze on them

Hoping not rear main seal, as NO temperature gauge problems and NO antifreeze seems to be in the oil dipstick

I was working in moderate temperature on summer evening approx 80 degrees outside.

Wondering, if I could just tighten down any of the bolts in that back area of the engine near the oil filter and the problem will go away or would problem get worse?

on the back of the motor the same thing you take the oil filter of there should be a oil cooler that the oil filter screws on to check that and the lines to it even upper line under intake parts shown on pic 33 18 191716 22 there are line that run off of 18 one gose into the block and the othere goes up to some othere tube under the intake

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by accordlx1982; 08-13-2011 at 10:14 AM.
    {have fun}victems 93 honda civic hatch back. 95 trans am(tranny broke). 89 accord 5speed. 2000 civic si. 1999 civic d16y8

Quote Originally Posted by HondaRepairs101 View Post
    I changed the oil and filter on my Honda Accord now I have an antifreeze leak near the oil filter

I have a 94 Honda Accord non vtec 4 cylinder with manual 5 speed transmission only 50K miles on it now in August 2011

I changed the oil and filter as I do every 6 months, and now have an antifreeze leak in same area as the oil filter

To perform the oil and filter change I raised the car using a hydralic jack placed under the cross beam under the engine on the drivers side. I did have to raise it high so that I could place jack stand under the jack pin on drivers side. I lowered the car onto the jack stand on drivers side jack pin.

Then I proceeded to remove the oil plug bolt and oil filter, drained the oil, and I put on new oil filter replaced the oil plug bolt and added 4 quarts of oil.

I again raised drivers side using hydralic jack under the cross beam (I have seen mechanics working on this car do this before, and I have done so myself with no problems before) I then removed the jack stand and lowered the hydrallic jack

Started the car and now after car running for approx 10-15 minutes, I have an antifreeze leak (green watery fluid) that drips from driveaxle boot on drivers side leak comes from the same area as the oil filter.

Leak drips for several minutes after turn off engine then stops

I know it is GREEN fluid leaking, so NOT believe this is leaking oil at oil filter.

Frustrating, I have done oil changes before and never caused such a problem. Maybe I raised drivers side of vehicle too high and broke some seal.

I know there is a drain bolt near the oil filter to drain antifreeze, but I did not touch it, so not believe that is the problem

The leak seems too far back to be from the water pump, and none of the belts have any antifreeze on them

Hoping not rear main seal, as NO temperature gauge problems and NO antifreeze seems to be in the oil dipstick

I was working in moderate temperature on summer evening approx 80 degrees outside.

Wondering, if I could just tighten down any of the bolts in that back area of the engine near the oil filter and the problem will go away or would problem get worse?
    the problem wont go away untill fixed it will just get wers i had this happen
    {have fun}victems 93 honda civic hatch back. 95 trans am(tranny broke). 89 accord 5speed. 2000 civic si. 1999 civic d16y8

Default Honda Accord antifreeze leak rear of engine near oil filter

That is a discouraging reply I was hoping for a less complicated fix

Are you saying this oil pump is directly in front of the oil filter and attached to it???

I could see the schematic you included(thanks) but I do not understand your directions to repair, and I also do not have a parts list to match up with the numbers on the parts to understand that schematic.

I did overtighten the oil filter with filter wrench could that that caused this problem???

Initially thinking it was an oil leak, I removed and replace with new 2nd oil filter only hand tightened the second oil filter, still leaking fluid then recognized the fluid leaking is GREEN in color so must be antifreeze

I do not want to remove this oil pump as do not have a lift and would be working under car with jack stands only (ramps not a good solution since this is a manual transmission)
    Would have problem putting it back on once I took it off

Could I just tighten down the bolts on this oil pump (remember the leak is antifreeze not oil doesnt oil go thru the oil pump) and that would stop the leak???

How about putting some GUNK in the radiator which is supposed to stop leaks in the antifreeze system???

Anyone else have similar problem and an easier solution please post reply

Please include cost of parts if I do it myself or parts and labor for repair shop to do this work if known

Thanks

no no dude its not a pump just a oil cooler and yes over tighting it will do that if you remove the oil filter you will see a nut on the threds for the where the oil filter screws on remove that and undo the hoses to it and putt all new parts on with hoses when you over tighten it it may have crushed the oil cooler and befor putting on the new one i had to spred some blue atv on it so it didnt leak oil because you brake all seals even after you putt on new seals it will leak a little oil because it is not fully seald. butt replaceing these parts will stop the water leak every thing in the pic box up above starting number
    19 18 33 17 16 22 look at the pic i posted the numbers are above the parts thoughs are what you will hafto replace 19 is the bolt for oil filter and water cooler 18 is the water cooler 33 is the water cooler seal 16 17 22 are all parts of and from oil filter i hope this helps

Looked up the ideas you replied with

From my hard copy repair manual I bought from a parts store cannot find anything about oil cooler

Not really excited about taking off this oil cooler you speak of. Looks difficult to me
    talks about removing transaxle difficult to do this repair

You and other places I looked up on the internet said will stop oil leak if replace this O ring in the oil cooler Remember, it is leaking antifreeze GREEN color liquid not believe leaking oil rather antifreeze. So does this O ring replacement the problem and solution for antifreeze leak??????

Also, if I remove the oil cooler then how do I:

1) remove the nut/bolt that is the stem for the oil filter?? does it loosen in same direction as regular nut/bolt even though filter screws onto it. Remember car will be on jack stands with me under car when loosening this bolt cannot pull too hard.

2) saw somewhere on internet need a 30 mm socket to remove this bolt/nut. Does that sound right size and method (use socket wrench) to remove it???

3) I properly remove the gasket on the oil cooler and properly attach new gasket and properly tighten bolts on oil cooler assembly????

4) you say something about blue atv I am not familar with that please explain what it is and how to use on this repair??

5) you say will still leak oil after this repair and replacement of parts, so why do this repair if condition will not be cured???

I wish I had access to a manual that explains this problem, has photographs of it, and procedure to correct it

Any idea of the cost of parts and the parts and labor if take to garage???

as well as damage cause to engine if continue to drive it, that is, is this antifreeze mixing with oil in the engine now. I know that causes big problems for engine??

Any others with ideas please also respond

From my hard copy repair manual I bought from a parts store cannot find anything about oil cooler

Not really excited about taking off this oil cooler you speak of. Looks difficult to me

You and other places I looked up on the internet said will stop oil leak if replace this O ring in the oil cooler Remember, it is leaking antifreeze GREEN color liquid not believe leaking oil rather antifreeze. So does this O ring replacement the problem and solution for antifreeze leak??????

1) remove the nut/bolt that is the stem for the oil filter?? does it loosen in same direction as regular nut/bolt even though filter screws onto it. Remember car will be on jack stands with me under car when loosening this bolt cannot pull too hard.

2) saw somewhere on internet need a 30 mm socket to remove this bolt/nut. Does that sound right size and method (use socket wrench) to remove it???

3) I properly remove the gasket on the oil cooler and properly attach new gasket and properly tighten bolts on oil cooler assembly????

4) you say something about blue atv I am not familar with that please explain what it is and how to use on this repair??

5) you say will still leak oil after this repair and replacement of parts, so why do this repair if condition will not be cured???

I wish I had access to a manual that explains this problem, has photographs of it, and procedure to correct it

as well as damage cause to engine if continue to drive it, that is, is this antifreeze mixing with oil in the engine now. I do not see antifreeze on the dipstick yet. I know that antifreeze in oil causes big problems for engine??

as well as damage cause to engine if continue to drive it, that is, is this antifreeze mixing with oil in the engine now. I do not see antifreeze on the dipstick yet. I know that antifreeze in oil causes big problems for engine??

ok there is no manaul that has this only shops the blue atv is a sealnt thats it. the reason i say it will stop oil leak is because after doing this it will leak oil for a bit thats what the blue atv is for where your getting the antifreez from is the oil cooler or the lines that come off it replace them and thats it realy simple you can do it on jack stans i did

Thanks for your idea

Will think on this for a few days

I need to pinpoint leak a little better. Plan to run car tommorrow for a few minutes in driveway to pinpoint leak source. I looked at car again and I know leak was coming off the boot on drivers side. Boot is close to water pump. So I am going to have to narrow it down to what leaking. Someone told me to get a pressure test to find origin of leak maybe have that done.

I do not want to replace anything that is not the source of the leak.

If you or anyone else has any ideas on the source and fix for this leak let me know

I'm not sure I understand Accordlx1982 either.

I suggest performing a cold engine leak test by pressurizing the cooling system from the radiator cap. Car should be elevated on jack stands or ramps to allow access for inspection.

To me most likely source is one of the coolant lines to IACV or cold air boost valve.

Small possibility could be the coolant connecting pipe (corrosion pinhole) underneath the intake manifold.

good luck
    1994 Accord EX
    1997 Acura 2.5 TL
    2007 Accord SE
    2001 Toyota Celica
    1999 Subaru Forester

See you down the ROW!

Quote Originally Posted by TexasHonda View Post
    I'm not sure I understand Accordlx1982 either.

I suggest performing a cold engine leak test by pressurizing the cooling system from the radiator cap. Car should be elevated on jack stands or ramps to allow access for inspection.

To me most likely source is one of the coolant lines to IACV or cold air boost valve.

Small possibility could be the coolant connecting pipe (corrosion pinhole) underneath the intake manifold.

good luck
    ya butt if you read at the top he says it only did it after he changed the oil filter that lets me belive that its the oil cooler or oil cooler lines

Transmission oil cooler would leak ATF, not coolant.

good luck
    1994 Accord EX
    1997 Acura 2.5 TL
    2007 Accord SE
    2001 Toyota Celica
    1999 Subaru Forester

See you down the ROW!

on the back off the block there is a oil cooler for the oil filter has nothing to do with the tranny

I am loving this debate over my Honda and its problem. Reminds me of that TV show House where all the doctors are knowledgeable and passionate about their patient. Real life though doctors more interested in their own personal life than their patients.

I like the debators here better than the characters on House as you all seem more knowledgeable than me on Hondas, and more passionate as well. Great to see.

Anyway, I looked up my on Honda.com my 94 Honda Accord LX and they on their schematic that is different than one posted on this thread it does not show or list an "oil cooler" for my vehicle. It does list an "oil strainer", but someone correct me if I am wrong but the "oil strainer" is part of the oil pump on the side of the engine not behind the engine with the oil filter.

Someone told me could have bumped one of the radiator hoses that run above the oil filter maybe I did so with oil filter wrench not sure.

I apologize but I not certain the origin of the oil leak, I have not been able to run the car last few days as I left hood open in a rain shower for a few minutes. Drying it out now been trying to ensure engine and wires completely dry before starting the car.

All I know is the fluid is GREEN and some of it leaking down off the drivers side boot on transaxle, the original not sure. The water pump not far away from this boot wondering if could be that. I am not wanting to take off timing belt cover to look at water pump as could break something else (wires go thru cover) or not get cover back on.

I am frustrated, as I believe I caused this problem myself as it begin the day after I changed the oil and filter. Reminds me of when I repaired the drain pipe in the bathroom of house, I also accidently caused another leak turning off the water valve. Makes me want to do nothing further on maintenance, as go the effort and expense of changing oil and filter cause problem when no problem to begin with just doing maintanence.

Keep the ideas coming if you have anymore or anyone else has ideas

correcting my misstatement above this is not an oil leak it is an antifreeze leak (GREEN liquid)

I have a 94 Accord Shop Manual and carefully looked through the Engine Lubrication section and found no mention of an oil cooler. Perhaps other models have them, but I checked 90 Accord and it was the same as 94 Accord, no oil cooler.

good luck
    1994 Accord EX
    1997 Acura 2.5 TL
    2007 Accord SE
    2001 Toyota Celica
    1999 Subaru Forester

See you down the ROW!

tomorrow i will post a vid of where it is

Ran 94 Honda Accord Lx in driveway today.

After warming up 15 minutes the small leak again appeared dripped just behind the oil plug to the ground

Put the car up on jack stands to see if could find source of the leak.

Saw green liquid (same type of liquid that seems to be leaking) on the right side of the oil filter and on the second oil drain plug bolt 2 inches below the oil filter against the engine.

I drained the oil using primary oil plug below oil pan into reusable 5 quart oil bottle.

Then I removed the secondary oil plug below the oil filter thinking it was the mysterious antifreeze drain plug I have seen in manual but never been able to find on this Honda.
    It took a 10 mm hex nut socket tool I went and bought today just for this purpose.

Tommorow I plan to put oil back in the car as got too late doing this work.

What I will do next not sure, since I do not know the problem other than leaking green liquid

Two people told me could be blown head gasket, YIKES I know that an expensive repair.

It does not have any of the classic symptoms of blown head gasket (oil not foamy, drives fine, temperature normal, etc.)

Hopefully just a small leak in a hose somewhere above this area.

Any other ideas please send them along

There are several possibilities in the same general area. Have you downloaded the 94-97 Accord shop manual? This will show diagram of cooling system and potential leak sources.

Suggest a cold, pressure leak test while elevated to allow close inspection and tracing the leak. You can rent a tool from many parts stores, but be sure it has an adapter for Honda radiator. Many do not.

Possibilites to check are heater core hoses (3), bypass hoses (3), connecting pipe(water pump to thermostat), and lower radiator hose at thermostat housing. Also check thermostat housing closely.

good luck
    1994 Accord EX
    1997 Acura 2.5 TL
    2007 Accord SE
    2001 Toyota Celica
    1999 Subaru Forester

See you down the ROW!

Thanks for all the leak ideas

Next thing on this I plan to do is think on blown head gasket. The idea I got from speaking to two auto repair service reps.

So far no symptoms of blown head gasket thank goodness

I am going to pull the spark plugs see if they are fouled which I know is head gasket problem symptom I already have new spark plugs I was planning to replace them anyways

click on pic to watch vid sorry its not good qaulity
    i will try to make a better one and remember the two rubber linse i show you only carry coolent no oil the round silver thing the oil cooler that the oil filter is on if crushed bye over tightening the oil filter will make that happen

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by accordlx1982; 08-18-2011 at 07:50 PM.

After doing research with Honda and looking at this area I have concluded not oil cooler on my 94 Honda Accord LX Maybe they are on other Honda but not mine

I am beginning to wish there was an oil cooler there that I damaged would be easier and cheap fix

I still have this leak and it drips down from drivers side of the oil filter. Wondering if I cracked the engine block there by overtightening the oil filter

I am hoping I just nicked a radiator hose above this area or coming over from the water pump.

Service techs I spoke to pushing the idea of blown head gasket. I want to rule this out before searching for this very small antifreeze leak

what you can do is presher wash the hole engine. make shure to tie a plastic bag around the altinater or you can mess it up also any after market air filter that is not incased needs to be seald to provent any engin damige. now that we know you aint got a oil cooler like i do. you may have some broken freez plugs i would think that the oil filter would strip out before cracking that block i say wash it then look up under to see i wish i could be more help i will try to locate my freez plugs to give you an idea where and what to look for

I read some posts about antifreeze leaks which talked about lead from weep hole of the water pump back of the engine drivers side

I took another look at my Honda and found that weep hole. I felt it, and it has antifreeze leaking from it.

Seems like I finally found the source of my leak. Must been coming out at the water pump and somehow wrapping below the engine over to the oil filter. The problems I had with overtightening filter during oil change made me wrongly think leak elsewhere.

Now looking at $700 water pump and the many belts in that area replaced at the dealer.

I am frustrated, as I believe I caused this problem by jacking up drivers side of crossbeam below engine too far with jack to get jackstand under the jack pin on drivers side to do oil and filter change. I dont know how else to get the car on jack stand than to lift it under one side of the cross beam.

Thanks all for your ideas

Anyone with better ideas to get car on jack stands without damaging it????

I read some posts about antifreeze leaks which talked about lead from weep hole of the water pump back of the engine drivers side

I took another look at my Honda and found that weep hole. I felt it, and it has antifreeze leaking from it.

Seems like I finally found the source of my leak. Must been coming out at the water pump and somehow wrapping below the engine over to the oil filter. The problems I had with overtightening filter during oil change made me wrongly think leak elsewhere.

Now looking at $700 water pump and the many belts in that area replaced at the dealer.

I am frustrated, as I believe I caused this problem by jacking up drivers side of crossbeam below engine too far with jack to get jackstand under the jack pin on drivers side to do oil and filter change. I dont know how else to get the car on jack stand than to lift it under one side of the cross beam.

Thanks all for your ideas

Anyone with better ideas to get car on jack stands without damaging it????
    did you fix it

Thread Information