Thread: replace ignition lock cylnder in 1992 Accord EX

Default replace ignition lock cylnder in 1992 Accord EX

Someone attempted to steal my 1992 Honda Accord EX a few days ago. They did not get the car but they did leave something jammed i the lock cylinder. Therefore I need to replace the lock cylinder and need step-by-step help.

I have removed the plastic shroud on the steering column and can locate 2 break-away bolts that hold the assembly to the column. There does not appear to be room to gain access to cut grooves (screwdriver slots) in the bolts or to drill them out. Can the steering column be lowered to gain better access? Or is there another way to get to the bolts? After the bolts are removed what is the step-by-step process of replacing the old lock cylinder with the new one? Thanks for any help.

Download the 91 Accord Shop Manual from this site for guidance on lock assembly removal and installation.

Security bolts can be loosened quite easily w/ a cold chisel or punch applied to the edge of the bolt head. They are not tight and once broken loose turn easily w/ fingers. Reinstall the same way.

good luck
    1994 Accord EX
    1997 Acura 2.5 TL
    2007 Accord SE
    2001 Toyota Celica
    1999 Subaru Forester

See you down the ROW!

I believe you turn the key/ignition to the "I" setting, in which position a pin in the cylinder allows it to be slid out.

you have disabled the SRS, righ? dont want to be killed by an airbag when your messing with the steering column.

Thanks for the replies. I ordered a new cylinder for $23 and had it keyed to the old keys for $15. It has been 2 weeks since I have replaced the cylinder and it seems to be working properly.

Thread Information