Thread: 1998 accord with code p0301

Default 1998 accord with code p0301

Here is the deal, I was driving my 1998 on the hwy when all of a sudden the engine light started blinking, however the car felt fine UNTIL exited the hwy, It started to stutter.. took it to auto zone to check the engine light,, code p0301 twice cylinder 1 misfire and multiple cylinder misfire.
    I replaced injector (from another honda), spark plug, wires, dist cap no difference, only thing left is distributor..but expensive, need to be sure before I buy. Has anyone else had this problem or knows what's wrong with the car. Also car hesitates a lot and sometimes stalls if a/c is on while idling at a stop light.

check fire to #1. you can switch injectors with one that you know is working.

throw a can of fuel treatment in it.

Did you tried to check the plugs if they or spark plug wire inside the plug tube is filled with oil?
    Was anything done before this happened something was fixed?

It could be the Igniter or Coil going. Check the colour of the spark.

Talking

Your more than likely looking for a Vacume leak or a problem with either
    a High or Low pressure problem.
    Go rent a fuel pressure checker from your AutoZone and vheck it out...

Scorpio0729
    Attached Images Attached Images

Partially blocked EGR ports may cause this problem. When some ports are blocked and remainder open, too much EG is pushed into cylinder, overleaning and causing a miss. You may want to clean the EGR passages thoroughly.

A leak in the intake manifold on cylinder 1 could also cause a problem. If any work has been done that required removal of intake manifold, this would have higher probability. Otherwise pretty unlikely.

Check compression on #1 to be sure you don't have a burnt valve or damaged piston ring.

good luck
    1994 Accord EX
    1997 Acura 2.5 TL
    2007 Accord SE
    2001 Toyota Celica
    1999 Subaru Forester

See you down the ROW!

Question

Found the problem. Leaky valves on cylinder 1. Now I am trying to take the head off to replace valve seals and I am can't figure out what size socket fits the HEAD BOLTS. I don't have anything in my tool box to remove them. What type and size socket fits them. Ps thank for all the feedback. Help!!!!!!!!!

It's usually a 12-pt, 14mm socket. A 6-pt won't work. Be sure to get a good socket that fits snug or you could damage the bolt where it will be difficult to remove.

Stem seals don't leak compression, they leak oil into the exhaust path and cause smoke. Leaking valves are usually burnt on the valve or seat causing compression leakage. Cylinder head should be rebuilt; valves reseated, new stem seals, leak checks for cracks, and shaved flat for a good seal on new head gasket. Don't think you can skip shaving the head unless you want to risk having to redo the cylinder head. I made that mistake one time.

Get some type of shop manual to guide you on cylinder head removal/installation. Download of 94-97 Accord manual would be better than nothing.

good luck
    1994 Accord EX
    1997 Acura 2.5 TL
    2007 Accord SE
    2001 Toyota Celica
    1999 Subaru Forester

See you down the ROW!

Quote Originally Posted by adidas1 View Post
    Found the problem. Leaky valves on cylinder 1. Now I am trying to take the head off to replace valve seals and I am can't figure out what size socket fits the HEAD BOLTS. I don't have anything in my tool box to remove them. What type and size socket fits them. Ps thank for all the feedback. Help!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for letting us know the problem.

here is a pic of bad valve. exhaust valve #1
    Attached Images Attached Images

That head looks pretty bad. Was there an overheating incident or were valves adjusted too tight causing this?

good luck
    1994 Accord EX
    1997 Acura 2.5 TL
    2007 Accord SE
    2001 Toyota Celica
    1999 Subaru Forester

See you down the ROW!

Thread Information