Thread: Turbo vacuum lines

Default Turbo vacuum lines

Hi, My first post, first question.

I've got a 02 Civic Si with the stock K20A3 engine.

Mods : T3/T4 Turbo, Skunk2 Turbo Cams, K-Pro, 2.75" exhaust, RC 550cc injectors.

I want to hook up a blow-off valve, wastegate, Hondata electronic boost controller solenoid and boost gauge and I am wondering where to hook them up.

Any body has an idea where the best spot would be? Pictures really appreciated.

Just get a T or something and hook it to any vacuum line.

What I meant to know if what was the best spot to get vacuum from.

azmotech.net/a/bleh.jpg

Sorry can post images, need 15 posts....

it really doesnt matter man. You could hook the BOV to the right one on the intake manifold. Theres a million different combinations on where to hook them up, just gotta be creative.

search on google images K series turbo and you should be able to find some setups.

uhhh no.. the wastegate needs to be hooked up before the throttle body, and the BOV on the intake after the throttle body

if it's an internal wastegated turbo wouldn't they have there own vacuum line from the actuator to the wastegate? then hook up a T fitting in between the vacuum line and hook up the line for the boost gauge. and if u want to control boost, the MBC goes on the same line right?
    fuck you and the moon!

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    uhhh no.. the wastegate needs to be hooked up before the throttle body
    uhhh, no...

My setup (which I'm sure I did because I saw it on thousands of setups in the FI section on that other really big honda site) is a vacuum box teed off of the line from the brake booster to the intake manifold.
    Running off of that I have 3 lines. Boost gauge, BOV, MBC. My MBC also has a vacuum line from the wastegate.
    Before the MBC it was just running from the wastegate to the vacuum box.

Azmodan, IMO that is the easiest way to do it. I wish I could remember the website I ordered all my stuff from. It was pretty cheap to get the box, fittings, and vacuum hose. I'll try to find it.

^^so was i right?
    fuck you and the moon!

Quote Originally Posted by CRXFreak View Post
    if it's an internal wastegated turbo wouldn't they have there own vacuum line from the actuator to the wastegate? then hook up a T fitting in between the vacuum line and hook up the line for the boost gauge. and if u want to control boost, the MBC goes on the same line right?
    Quote Originally Posted by CRXFreak View Post
    ^^so was i right?
    I don't think so.

To be honest, I have no idea if/what the difference is (vacuum wise) between internal and external wastegates.
    Logic dictates that vacuum is vacuum, and there is no difference.

I've never owned/never worked on an internally wastgated (thats not a word) car, so I'm just guessing.
    In my head, it works out the same as an external wastegate setup. Which 10 outta 10 times I would setup like I have it in my car.

My turbo has an external wastegate.

I've been suggested to hook it up either to the PCV, that I would then vent to atmosphere or to braker booster with a T.

Any of them is better?

I could be wrong but the waste gate is on the exhaust flange.

If you using the line that going to the brake booster make sure you T into it before the check valve.

See the vacuum manifold on the firewall.

Last edited by smithby; 04-26-2010 at 08:01 PM.
    Spa Yellow Pearl 92 Si D16z6
    9.85 and 145 mph 1.54 60 ft.

Quote Originally Posted by 95civicex View Post
    uhhh, no...

My setup (which I'm sure I did because I saw it on thousands of setups in the FI section on that other really big honda site) is a vacuum box teed off of the line from the brake booster to the intake manifold.
    Running off of that I have 3 lines. Boost gauge, BOV, MBC. My MBC also has a vacuum line from the wastegate.
    Before the MBC it was just running from the wastegate to the vacuum box.

Azmodan, IMO that is the easiest way to do it. I wish I could remember the website I ordered all my stuff from. It was pretty cheap to get the box, fittings, and vacuum hose. I'll try to find it.
    then whats the point of the fitting on the end of the turbo? i always thought you should have the shortest line possible for the wastegate.. vacuum isnt what makes the wastegate do anything anyways. its boost pressure, but apparently it doesnt matter where it comes from

The pressure happens so fast, it's really not a big issue. If you were trying to fill a 5 gallon bottle, now that may be a different story.
    Spa Yellow Pearl 92 Si D16z6
    9.85 and 145 mph 1.54 60 ft.

Actually the blow off valve needs to be hooked up before the throttle plate to prevent pressure build which is the whole point behind having a bov in the first place and the waste gate needs to as always be hook to the intake exhaust gas pressure release has to be controlled by boost Pressure inside the intake once the intake pressure has reached max capacity the waste gate needs to release pressure if it's hook up reversed bov vac in manifold and waste gate vac in air intake you'll cause unintentional release of pressure due to backed up exhaust gas in the turbo.

Thread Information