Thread: Charging AC in 93 Accord DX

Default Charging AC in 93 Accord DX

Hi everyone,

I have the hoses/gauges to charge the ac, but I've never done it. If anyone has any experience with this or knows of a site I can see where to connect the hoses, I'll buy a can of freon and give it a go. Thanks!

There's a bit more to it than just connecting the hoses.

Is system empty or just low on charge? Procedure is different for each.

A good site to get instructions on retrofitting and charging is ackits.com.

If you have retrofitted, you will need a vacuum pump and you should have replaced receiver/drier also. A bad retrofit can damage your compressor and contaminate the system w/ compressor wear particles. A good retrofit will work well in your Accord, but it must be done correctly.

good luck
    1994 Accord EX
    1997 Acura 2.5 TL
    2007 Accord SE
    2001 Toyota Celica
    1999 Subaru Forester

See you down the ROW!

Default Thanks...

It's empty and probably has a leak, because if I charge it in the beginning of summer, it's out by winter. I appreciate the information.

Following is suggested to achieve long lasting AC performance.

1) Remove evaporator and replace all orings on expansion valve and temperature feedback bulb. These leak w/ age and may be reason for your loss of charge. A new expansion valve adjusted for R134a can be installed, but many go w/ old expansion valve.

2) Examine compressor closely. Any evidence of shaft seal leak. If yes, then a rebuilt or used compressor is indicated. You can also replace the shaft seal (ackits has them). A bit tricky to install the shaft seal. Let me know if you need to do this and I'll provide some guidance. Remove and/or drain all oil from compressor. Add 3-4 oz of new lubricant (double end capped PAG or ester oil- Ackits has both).

3) Replace all AC system connection orings. Use Nylog oring conditioner/lubricant to insure good seals.

4) Air blast condensor to remove old oil; Pressurize w/ finger over exit, pop-release once pressurized to remove oil. Repeat quite a few times 20-30 to get as much oil as possible out of system.

5) Replace old AC low and high pressure connection points w/ R134a retrofit adapters; good quality (not interdynamics!).

6) Last step before closing system is to replace the receiver/drier. Note, remaining new lubricant must be installed in condensor and reeiver/drier; about 4 oz for a total of 8 oz.

7) Use vacuum pump (rent, ebay, or harbor freight) to pull a vacuum through your AC manifold/gauge set. Close valves and monitor vacuum level for 30 mins. It shouldn't drop more the 2-3 in-hg and stablize.

8) If vacuum level holds, recharge w/ 24-28 oz (two cans of R134a). Check recharge instructions on ackits.com for detailed guidance.

Note, before starting I would suggest reading a book on automotive AC systems and repair; Mastercool or Haynes have decent books.

Above is not a trivial job, but not hard on 90-93 Accord. Find a download manual from this vintage to guide your work. Do it right and probably last time you'll touch AC system in your Accord.

good luck
    1994 Accord EX
    1997 Acura 2.5 TL
    2007 Accord SE
    2001 Toyota Celica
    1999 Subaru Forester

See you down the ROW!

Thread Information