Thread: p1166 and p1167 codes

Default p1166 and p1167 codes

have a 2002 accord with check engine light on took to auto zone they came up with p1166 and p1167 codes any info on codes also how to reset to make sure

This code is an electrical fault in the heater circuit of the primary (ahead of catalytic converter) O2 sensor. It usually means the heating element has failed and requires a new sensor, but check the sensor heater leads for resistance when removed. It should show open (failed open infinite resistance) circuit, or dead shorted (internal short resistance < 1 ohm).

If O2 heater resistance measures ~10 ohms, the heater may be Ok and you have a bad connector or wiring. Make sure connector is clean of dirt and water. This last possibility is unlikely as 12v heater circuit is resistant to dirty connections.

You can access free repair info on autozone.com.

Once repaired, it should reset automatically in a few days. Otherwise, you need an OBD2 scanner to reset the ECU. It would be cheaper to buy an inexpensive scanner on ebay than pay someone to do this.

good luck
    1994 Accord EX
    1997 Acura 2.5 TL
    2007 Accord SE
    2001 Toyota Celica
    1999 Subaru Forester

See you down the ROW!

Default 1996 Honda Civic with P1166 code

I have a 96 civic with a p1166 code that won't go away and therefore I can't pass emissions. Weird thing is that my check engine light is not ON but there is a code, and yes the check engine light does work and has a bulb.

I've tried to clear it with my pocket OBD ll, it erases the code but then its right back on if I turn the key off and on then scan it again.
    I've removed the negative cable and that cleared it for a bit, then I drove the car for 25 miles, scanned it again at my destination, then the code was back.
    My car is idling very low, between 0 and 1 rpm's even when warm, is this a sign of a bad o2?

I don't know what to do, any advice would help.

Code is defective primary O2 sensor heater circuit. Suggest checking resistance of O2 sensor heater circuit w/ connnector released. If it shows short or open, then replace O2 sensor, otherwise it's a wiring, connector, or ECM fault.

good luck
    1994 Accord EX
    1997 Acura 2.5 TL
    2007 Accord SE
    2001 Toyota Celica
    1999 Subaru Forester

See you down the ROW!

Thread Information