Thread: Trouble Code P0740 & P0715

Default Trouble Code P0740 & P0715

Hey guys new here I am having a big issue with my tranny. I have a 1996 Honda Accord V6 with 145K miles. after receiving the codes P0740 and P0715 (Transmission Control selinoid and speed sensor circuit) the accord will not shift into thrid gear and the RPM's border red linning if I do not come off the gas. I am inclined to find a TCS but I am afraid that the tranny has gone on to greener fields. Can you guys help me out and say it isn't so? Tell me that all I need is a TCS and life will be right again. By the way the Speed Circuit is a easy one but if the Tranny has kissed the big dipper then I won't waste the money.

Keith

Code P0740 means the torque converter lockup is not functioning. It could be an electrical or hydraulic problem. Good thing is this will cause no drivability issues, and only result in slight reduction in gas mileaga and CEL on all the time.

P0715 is a mainshaft speed sensor electrical fault; bad mainshaft speed sensor, wiring fault, or disconnected. This will cause hard shifting. It might also cause the P0740 as the lockup clutch will not engage. Fix mainshaft speed sensor circuit and things should improve or be fixed completely.

good luck
    1994 Accord EX
    1997 Acura 2.5 TL
    2007 Accord SE
    2001 Toyota Celica
    1999 Subaru Forester

See you down the ROW!

Thank you for the response. I do believe I changed the same speed sensor sometime last year, does it sit right under the distributor cap if so then that is a definate easy fix but right at 100 bucks.

One thing that does concern me is the fact that my car will not shift out of second and just rev up till I come off the gas. Hell I could kiss the pedal and she wants to red line. Of course I never let her do that.

Keith

OK I picked up the part and its not the same one I replaced a year and a half ago so now I've been searching for God knows how long and I can't find the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS). Can someone show me a pic of where this part goes.

Keith
    Guys please forgive me but somehow I mispelled my user name it should be HONDALOVER instead of HODALOVER

You need a manual. It's not the vehicle speed sensor, it's the Mainshaft Speed Sensor. Two different speed sensors. Mainshaft speed sensor is a transmission part.

good luck
    1994 Accord EX
    1997 Acura 2.5 TL
    2007 Accord SE
    2001 Toyota Celica
    1999 Subaru Forester

See you down the ROW!

Your kidding right??? I found where the part goes and its a pain in the rear to install. I will see if I can find the part, but my Honda Parts department told me that the Transmission Control Selinoid goes in the Transmission itself and it cost a whopping three hundred forty five bucks.

Keith
    Guys please forgive me but somehow I mispelled my user name it should be HONDALOVER instead of HODALOVER

Fix the mainshaft speed sensor first. This fault may cause the P0740, or not. Yes, trans overhaul is indicated if you want to fix P0740. It could also be a hydraulic fault.

good luck
    1994 Accord EX
    1997 Acura 2.5 TL
    2007 Accord SE
    2001 Toyota Celica
    1999 Subaru Forester

See you down the ROW!

Thank you TexasHonda for all your help, invaluable, but I still haven't found a new Mainshaft yet but I did find one and I do mean one used part on EBay but here's the kicker its for a 2.3 4 cylinder. Can I install that on my Tranny for my V6?

Keith

I don't have any experience w/ mainshaft speed sensor(MSS), but have done some tinkering w/ the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS). Following may also be true for MSS:

The VSS has three screws that hold a top cover in place. Remove the cover and examine the rotating parts. I found a lot of dirt/grease cover the sensor face. You might be able to clean/reinstall and get it to work. If access is difficult, you might try instead to swap the "guts" of a 4-cyl MSS into your MSS body, if they are different. I was able to do this on one VSS.

good luck
    1994 Accord EX
    1997 Acura 2.5 TL
    2007 Accord SE
    2001 Toyota Celica
    1999 Subaru Forester

See you down the ROW!

Thanx TexasHonda, I figured as much but I wanted to ask before I went down that road to potentially a new transmission after it was all over.

Keith

Thread Information