Thread: 1994 Honda Accord Ex Main Relay Location?

Default 1994 Honda Accord Ex Main Relay Location?

Hello, I was wondering if anyone has successfully changed a main (fuel pump) relay on a 1994 Honda Accord EX, V4, 2.2 L.

According to the manual posted here: hondahookup.com/manuals the relay is located almost directly behind the heater controls. Well, I pulled that bezel off today and was unable to locate it.

According to this page: techauto.awardspace.com/mainrelaydefine.html it is to the right of the steering column. I pulled off the upper and lower covers and could not find it there.

Then there's good old Haynes, which says it's "under the dash, next to the fuse box". I poked around there and couldn't locate it, but I'm guessing it is probably in there somewhere. I'll have to look with a flashlight.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

(sorry I cannot link those pages since it's my first post)

If you remove the lower dash cover on driver's side and look forward to the right of the steering wheel, you can see the MFR (w/ difficulty). MFR is mounted on a bracket w/ several other components and is difficult to reach/remove. Some have had luck w/ removing the relay from it's cover leaving the cover attached to bracket (it snaps in place and is a PIA to release). It will be difficult to get both hands in place to release, in either case. See following link for pics and help to remove relay: http://techauto.awardspace.com/mainrelaydefine.html

I removed the bracket holding the MFR from the rail, but have never managed to remount. It doesn't want to return to any position I've found.

Following link will show how to repair MFR, if you can solder: http://techauto.awardspace.com/mainrelay.html

good luck
    1994 Accord EX
    1997 Acura 2.5 TL
    2007 Accord SE
    2001 Toyota Celica
    1999 Subaru Forester

See you down the ROW!

Thank you very much for the help. The picture showed within the schematic is correct, however I just had trouble making sense of it. It makes it look like the relay is mounted on the left-hand side of the steering wheel, when in fact it is located as it states--to the right of the column, almost directly behind the gas gauge.

Using a flashlight made the world of difference. I took off the lower dash cover and was able to find it within seconds (with knees on the ground). I decided to pry it out of the gray housing instead of unbolting the bracket. This worked well.

I then did a side by side comparison of my new relay vs. the old one. The only thing I found amiss with the old one was one very fine, hairline crack at solder joint. Perhaps this was causing it to malfunction?

Thanks again for the help. Haven't had a stall yet today... but tomorrow's another day.

there is some use ful info for future reference

If it's a '90-93 Honda Accord, then the Haynes is pointing you in the right direction. It's located behind the dash on the far drivers side. It's not easy to get at.

You can reach it from under the steering column and looking up... far up. Near the top in the mist of all the those wires and other boxes. There is a grey box that is up against the far right driver side. It's about 7 cm x 4cm x 12 cm and it blocks your view of the Main Relay. You'll need to move this to get at the Main Relay.

The Main Relay is usually a Brown/Gray Box about 7cmx 4cmx 3cm in size. I suggest using an extra long extension with a 10mm socket to reach it, ( there are two nuts). It has a wire harness attached to it, so once you get the nuts off, pull it down and dissconect the harness, ( look for the release clip on harness before trying to pull it off).

As for replacing it, I don't recommend a used one, or you'll be doing this job again real soon.... speaking from experience. I replaced mine 3-4 times. The first time I actually fixed the relay by re-soldering the burnt connection. It lasted for a year. In the end I bought a new one... $125 in Canada.

Good Luck.

P.S. In case someone is wondering what the Main Relay is for, it supplys power to the fuel pump and computer. The symptons are the car stalls with out any warning, it will not start, and sometimes will start after waiting 5-10 mins for it to cool off.

I started out having a similar problem with the car randomly not starting. After reading numerous blogs I went ahead and replaced the main fuel relay as described in this thread. The starting problem seems to be cured.
    BUT
    Now my problem happens when I'm driving along the car just dies; lights all come on the dash. I have to steer out of traffic, stop, put the car in park and turn the switch off. I've tried just putting it in neutral and restarting while coasting. After stopping the car starts right up.

What now, could it be the fuel pump? This has become a maddening problem, not to mention a dangerous one when in traffic.

You provided the definitive symptom in your post, "lights all come on the dash". This indicates loss of power to ignition and fuel systems. Reason is a defective intermittent keyswtich assembly. Easy fix. See following links for details:

http://techauto.awardspace.com/ignitionswitch.html
    http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/ignit...tch/index.html

good luck
    1994 Accord EX
    1997 Acura 2.5 TL
    2007 Accord SE
    2001 Toyota Celica
    1999 Subaru Forester

See you down the ROW!

Default ICM

What rules out the Ignition Control Module (ICM)? I'm going to pursue the switch assembly, but I'm just wondering.

Nothing rules it out absolutely, however ignitors are rarely intermittent. They usually fail abruptly and completely. Additionally ignitor failure would not cause CEL, Alt lights to go off and keyswitch would.

good luck
    1994 Accord EX
    1997 Acura 2.5 TL
    2007 Accord SE
    2001 Toyota Celica
    1999 Subaru Forester

See you down the ROW!

I'm sorry but I misread several times your initial post. Where you said "lights all come on on the dash", I was thinking "lights all go off". Brain not in sync w/ eyes.

Scenario could be intermittent keyswitch as I said, but intermittent time would be very short for dash panel lights to stay on. Seems unlikely.

A better possibility is Main Fuel Relay (MFR) or Fuel Pump. MFR is unlikely since you've replaced.

I've had an intermittent fuel pump w/ exactly your symptoms. However at times, the car also would not start and I finally was able to isolate the problem to the fuel pump. Initially I was sure it was MFR. You will need to check in the trunk for power to the fuel pump for 2-3 secs when keyswitch is initially turned to ON . If no power when no-start occurs, then MFR is problem. If you have power, then fuel pump problem is likely.

Another check when no-start occurs is to crack the banjo bolt on the fuel line to the fuel injector rail. If no pressure or slow dribble, then fuel pump or MFR is again likely.

good luck
    1994 Accord EX
    1997 Acura 2.5 TL
    2007 Accord SE
    2001 Toyota Celica
    1999 Subaru Forester

See you down the ROW!

So I replaced the switch. Drove the car to work this morning and after about 15 minutes the car died. This time only the Check Engine light came on. I also had a tougher time getting it restarted. After about 10 tries the car started and I made it to work. Fuel pump or ICM?

If fuel pump is working, you should be able to hear the fuel pump whine (quiet condition required) for 2-3 secs each time keyswitch is turned from Off to On. If no whine, the fuel pump is either bad or you installed a faulty MFR.

If fuel pump whine is heard each time switch is turned On, then ignitor or coil could be the problem. Coil is more likely to be intermittent.

Note, you can only confirm the fault source when the fault is present. If car is cranking and running, fault can't be detected. This leaves you w/ option of waiting or fixing an item and hope it's the correct component.

When I had the intermittent fuel pump, it took several months before fault was present long enough to run some diagnostics.

If you want to replace parts, and hope to hit the right one I would start w/ coil as this is least costly component and as likely as ignitor or fuel pump. Next would be ignitor, and finally fuel pump. Fuel pump is not that expensive, but a pretty good job to replace (fuel tank must be dropped).

good luck
    1994 Accord EX
    1997 Acura 2.5 TL
    2007 Accord SE
    2001 Toyota Celica
    1999 Subaru Forester

See you down the ROW!

Thanks for the reply.
    I can hear the fuel pump run each time I click the key on. Is there a way to test either of the two electrical components?
    Last edited by pdauer217; 06-03-2010 at 01:36 PM.

I just realized, I don't know what model/trim Accord.

The coil can be tested for open or short of the primary and secondary. Use a decent multimeter. A manual should have this test. Download one of the manuals from this site (hondahookup.com).

If tachometer quits working when engine dies and refuses to start, the ignitor is likely.

See following link for plenty of details:

http://techauto.awardspace.com/ignition.html

good luck
    1994 Accord EX
    1997 Acura 2.5 TL
    2007 Accord SE
    2001 Toyota Celica
    1999 Subaru Forester

See you down the ROW!

Hey all so im at my wits end here with this car..... I have a 94 honda accord EX 5 speed manual with the 2.2 liter vtec. I have gone the lengths of replacing the fuel pump, fuel filter and now have gotten to the MFR, as that is what the Honda dealer technician told me to do, and after reading other threads on here the symptoms were a dead match. Meaning when the car gets hot it doesn't wanna start so i have to let it sit or there have been more times than one that ill go for a drive even if its a mile and the car will slightly heat up and i turn it off it wont start untill it cools which i have waited at the longest 2 hours before it will start again. Thankfully it only died on me when i was driving once so i had a feeling it was power related. So i put the MFR in today when in with out an issue thanks to previous posts. Worked great all day no problems starting in the heat or after driving a good distance. About 3 hours ago i went to leave and it would not start for anything ended up pulling new MFR and put old one back just for giggles and it started. If yall have any ideas out there please get back to me cause im out of them and about to pull my hair out
    Last edited by Rsteim94; 06-12-2012 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Puntuation

It seems to me that it could be the coil. Just a thought, you may want to get that checked.

The last post was nearly a year ago. I'm sure he's either figured it out or given up by now.

www.cb7tuner.com - 1990-1993 Honda Accord forum
    www.cd5tuner.com - 1994-1997 Honda Accord forum

Default What IF...???

Quote Originally Posted by 94exvtec View Post
    It seems to me that it could be the coil. Just a thought, you may want to get that checked.
    Lx automatic
    Would the coil suggestion apply if say, car stopped dead, gets fire from plugs, fuel pump and main fuel relay were replaced, as well as what Chilton calls the fuel resistor box, and the car starts/ish with ether? I have power going into the relay but it won't pass through it to supply power to the pump. I'm stumped and miffed. And I can't put it on a scanner cuz some nice person decided that the scanner plug wasn't needed and clipped it right out of the car. We get fuel from the pump so long as we run a totally separate wire to it. Any help
    Would be immensely appreciated. Love the car but its about to make me lose it

If the coil is bad, you would not get spark.

www.cb7tuner.com - 1990-1993 Honda Accord forum
    www.cd5tuner.com - 1994-1997 Honda Accord forum

Thread Information