Thread: don't understand 1998 ex timing marks

Default don't understand 1998 ex timing marks

I've seen in the manual posted here as well as other places that the marks on the cam are supposed to line up with the cylinder head surface. Why then, are there two arrows on the timing belt cover which are lined up slightly before the cam marks come to the head surface. It seems that these are the marks to me. Which should I use????? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pgpeterg View Post
    I've seen in the manual posted here as well as other places that the marks on the cam are supposed to line up with the cylinder head surface. Why then, are there two arrows on the timing belt cover which are lined up slightly before the cam marks come to the head surface. It seems that these are the marks to me. Which should I use????? Thanks
    i dunno seems to me like its either one of two options:

1. listen to the honda factory service manual (which is used by factory technicians to do all factory honda service work)

or

2. go by your own personal second guessing.

Dont just go guess and make your own marks, you can cause some major issues

here
    try these see if they help
    Attached Images Attached Images

hey CRX, do you have pics for the balance shaft marks on a 98 accord 2.3litre 4cyl non v-tec? I need to confirm the rear shaft is timed right. thx.
    Last edited by on2wheels; 04-08-2008 at 11:26 AM.

try these, are these what you are looking for?

no, those are the cam shaft timing belt marks, I need the balance shaft belt marks. (the accord has 2 belts).

this is best picture i have for this

Thanks for trying, but that doesn't show enough details either. The rearmost shaft has a hole in it for alignment, with access through a bolt hole from the back of the block. Maybe there's an experienced honda mechanic here who can confirm.

as long as the balance shaft is locked in, its fine. There isn't any marks, just make sure that what you are putting in there is long and strong enough. 2.9 inches is as far as you want to go. So make sure its longer than that, so you have some sticking out to get it back out.
    本田1991 Acura Integra H22A-LSD本田
    ^Click For Info On Car^
    VTEC is NOT "V-tec", "V-TEC", "V-tech", "V-TECH", "VTECH", "V-TEK", "vtech", "vtec", "vortech", "Vtec", or "Vtech". It's CAPITAL VTEC.
    No dashes, no lower case, no extra letters, not anything other than the correct and only spelling of VTEC. Period.

i dont understand them either, i just keep changing it until it runs good

Here's what it looks like, but what we don't see is that there's MULTIPLE holes for that bolt to go thru (I found 2 or 3), and I want to know what's the harm if you get it wrong, there doesn't seem to be any other info on how to time it BUT there is a line on the pulley but it won't line up horizontal when the bolt is in. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by on2wheels; 04-09-2008 at 10:26 PM.

i don't think that there is multiple holes. I've done this job a few times and there is only one way that it goes in
    ^Click For Info On Car^
    VTEC is NOT "V-tec", "V-TEC", "V-tech", "V-TECH", "VTECH", "V-TEK", "vtech", "vtec", "vortech", "Vtec", or "Vtech". It's CAPITAL VTEC.
    No dashes, no lower case, no extra letters, not anything other than the correct and only spelling of VTEC. Period.

Maybe it's cause I have an accord, and this is the civic forum, but the bolt went right in at more than one location.

i was talking about an Accord.
    ^Click For Info On Car^

Thread Information