Thread: Installing my Turbo - But how do I??

Default Installing my Turbo - But how do I??

Hey guys,

So after much consideration, I have decided to get my engine checked out and if all is well, I am going to boost it. Nothing extreme, just 5 - 7 PSI. However, I have seen kits like Greddy. But, in my search for more knowledge, I have found that even after putting all the parts in, it has to be tuned or something has to happen for it to all work good and make the setup reliable? Ok, so if I wanted to take it to a shop for them to tune it or whatever is left, that leads me to believe that it's something that I cannot do myself? Sorry guys, but I have googled and searched the boards and can't find some solid information on what exactly it is I have to do once all the hardware is in. I would really love to do all this myself...would give me a lot of satisfaction if I didn't have to take it to a shop. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated. I would hate to boost my car just to blow my engine.

first of all, get on www.homemadeturbo.com and read read read. i learned everything i needed to know about installing a turbo kit on that site b4 i boosted my first car 2 years ago. second, as far as tuning goes, you need to have either an obd1 ecu that you can have someone chip and tune or you need to get a hondata system with boost option. either way, do not boost your car without it getting tuned right away, or it will blow up. IF tuned CORRECTLY, it will be very reliable and not give you any problems. by the way, what car are you working with and where are you located? if we know where you are located, someone should know of a good tuner in that area
    DA SQUAD #391

"Real cars are built, not bought"

Quote Originally Posted by CrxStreetRcr129 View Post
    first of all, get on www.homemadeturbo.com and read read read. i learned everything i needed to know about installing a turbo kit on that site b4 i boosted my first car 2 years ago. second, as far as tuning goes, you need to have either an obd1 ecu that you can have someone chip and tune or you need to get a hondata system with boost option. either way, do not boost your car without it getting tuned right away, or it will blow up. IF tuned CORRECTLY, it will be very reliable and not give you any problems. by the way, what car are you working with and where are you located? if we know where you are located, someone should know of a good tuner in that area
    Thanks for the link to the site! I am located in Riverside, CA. I have a 1997 Del Sol "S". So D15B7 if I am correct? Anyway, I will check out that site.

honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1263795&page=1[/url]

Try That! that should get you further than your useless searches! BAHAHAHA!! no really, it shows 90% of what needs to be done.

you are correct... you CANNOT tune it yourself

Well, technically he could. Do you have any friends who've boosted cars, that's always an option. On the other hand, you COULD do it yourself and you'd most likely give yourself the satisfaction of successfully boosting your engine right off your car Here's an idea, have you thought about Supercharging? Don't have to mess with the lag and whatever but I guess it depends, what size of turbo are you planning on putting in? Some are worse than others...Note: You should look into upgrading your fuel/ignition systems too.

OR you give yourself a blown motor

DO NOT TUNE YOURSELF

Quote Originally Posted by enigma9789 View Post

DO NOT TUNE YOURSELF
    ^^^ he would know

hey it happens, and when it does, it's UGLY. Nobody wants a blown engine, especially when they pay for the parts. Seriously it'd be worth the money to get it tuned, rather than have to put the time and money into a new engine...Tune or Blow? your choice! BWAHAHAHahahaha...

Quote Originally Posted by 4banger_glory View Post
    Well, technically he could. Do you have any friends who've boosted cars, that's always an option. On the other hand, you COULD do it yourself and you'd most likely give yourself the satisfaction of successfully boosting your engine right off your car Here's an idea, have you thought about Supercharging? Don't have to mess with the lag and whatever but I guess it depends, what size of turbo are you planning on putting in? Some are worse than others...Note: You should look into upgrading your fuel/ignition systems too.
    5-7 psi..... no need to upgrade the fuel/ignition.....

5-7 psi I'd recommend (as bad as they are) a FMU. Ignition will be fine. You'll also want a missing link. If the ECU sees boost (it's not programmed for it, so there's a black hole with positive pressure instead of vacuum) it'll freak out. I'd also recommend running a walbro 255 just to make sure. The FMU is a must though, otherwise you'll run into a really lean condition (boost requires more fuel to combust with the added air). You won't need to upgrade injectors though.

Quote Originally Posted by FknTkn
    It sucks and as much as I hate to admit it, Batman was right
    ORLY???

DO NOT TUNE YOURSELF
    I agree!! The key to reliability is in the tune .. spend the money and get it tuned right 1st time round, blowing the motor will end up being more costly.

View the BosStylists showcar build process

Take it to a shop for a tune. What engine management are you going to run?

*just noticed this is an OLD post...*
    -Adam

Trained in the art of psi Krazed's Avatar
    My Boost technique is strong, you are no match!

wow.. for future reference, always have a professional tune your car, and I would also hesitate to say you do not need any fuel. I dont even see where you said what car you have, so to say he can run on stock injectors is rather naive. I know this is an old post, but for some reason my login has worked very infrequently so i am answering this anyway.

edit: i see now where you said you have a d15 and i would absolutely add some injectors. those stock are very small injectors, and before you take some bad advice about psi, or if you need fuel, you should understand the psi doesnt really matter. Its the cfm. 7 psi on a td04 is not 7 psi on a 60-1. big difference.

Sorry... I've been playing in the world of DSM too long where it's not a necessity to upgrade injectors for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by FknTkn
    It sucks and as much as I hate to admit it, Batman was right
    ORLY???

Default Installing my Turbo But how

How are you gonna go about the turbo actuator? I briefly looked into using a VGT at one point, I was thinking of using the HE351 instead, but never found a good way to run the dang thing.

Default Installing my Turbo But how

Having problems with the MAF but needed to get to work...car was having really bad problems with rough idle...noticed smoke under the hood, coming out of the left turbo which I think is the primary, iirc...what are the chances I killed it?

Thread Information