Thread: help: 91 accord check engine light on

Default help: 91 accord check engine light on

Hi,

this is 91 accord wagon, 270,000km, recently check engine indicator light on few second after car starts.

I suspect it will be somethign to do with emission, is there any quick way to check?

any help will be aprecaited.

thanks.

Pull out the blue service connector from under the passenger side dash (close to the door). It may have black electrical tape covering it.

Using an unfolded metal paperclip (not plastic covered), connect the two holes of the connector ("jumping" the service connector)

Then turn the key to the II point, the one right before you actually turn the car on.

The Check Engine Light (commonly referred to as CEL) will flash. Long flashes are 10s, short flashes are 1s. Long pauses are breaks between codes. When the code repeats, that's all you get.

Count the flashes, and come back with the code. I'll dig up the list of what they all mean.

www.cb7tuner.com - 1990-1993 Honda Accord forum
    www.cd5tuner.com - 1994-1997 Honda Accord forum

Hi,

Sorry to go back to you so late. It has been cold for a while. I did the way you told me today. Once I short those 2 pins, the engine light was always on. Once I removed it, the engine light went off right way.

Is it a bad sign?

Did you turn the key to the II position?

A solid light usually means that the ECU is shot.

Default Similar problem.

I have a similar problem but the engine light just stays on constanly other then when you turn the car off of course.
    And the engine will not rev past 3500 rpm.

Have tried resetting ecu...didn't work.

Tried to retrive the error code as per method above using paper clip but CEL light does not change.

Would this be the ECU? any way to check?
    Last edited by roy91tt; 02-11-2008 at 01:49 AM. Reason: missed in first place

A solid CEL means that the ECU is bad.

how to replace ECU? Is it expensive to replace it?

THX

The ECU is under the passenger side carpet. Pull up the carpet, and it's pretty self-explanatory.

The ECUs aren't much at a junkyard. $15-$50 depending on where you go. You can use the ECU from any 90-93 Accord (though the 92-93 EX and 92 & 93 SEs have different ECUs to work their more advanced intake manifolds... you'd want to do more upgrades to use that ECU... stick to the one from the LX/DX or 90-91 EX) You can also use the ECU from a SOHC Prelude (the Prelude S... it has the same F22A motor). That ECU will give you an additional 10hp over stock.

HI GUYS I DID CHECK ENGINE TEST , AND MY CODE IS 9 IT FLASHES 9 TIMES AND STARTS 9 AGAIN I KNOW IS SOMETHING WITH THE #1 CILYNDER BUT DO YOU GUYS KNOW HOW TO FIX THAT I WILL APPRECIATE ANY HELP.. THANKS.

Quote Originally Posted by steeles View Post
    Hi,

Sorry to go back to you so late. It has been cold for a while. I did the way you told me today. Once I short those 2 pins, the engine light was always on. Once I removed it, the engine light went off right way.

Is it a bad sign?
    Suggest pulling the BackUp fuse or negative battery cable for 20 secs to reset the ECU, drive and see if CEL returns. Then try to extract the code.

Does CEL come on for two secs when keyswitch is first turned to ON, and the goes off. This is self test. If this is OK. ECU should be OK.

Try checking the LED on the ECU board (underneath pax side foot area carpet). There are two clear windows near top center of module. The LH window will blink ECU codes when keyswitch is turned to ON w/o shorting the service check connector. RH window is the Trans Contol Unit.

good luck
    1994 Accord EX
    1997 Acura 2.5 TL
    2007 Accord SE
    2001 Toyota Celica
    1999 Subaru Forester

See you down the ROW!

Quote Originally Posted by makool View Post
    HI GUYS I DID CHECK ENGINE TEST , AND MY CODE IS 9 IT FLASHES 9 TIMES AND STARTS 9 AGAIN I KNOW IS SOMETHING WITH THE #1 CILYNDER BUT DO YOU GUYS KNOW HOW TO FIX THAT I WILL APPRECIATE ANY HELP.. THANKS.
    It's best to start your own thread, that way responses don't get mixed. Code 9 is a fault in the #1 Cylinder position sensor in the distributor. This usually means an electrical fault in that circuit; damaged sensor, wiring or connector. Download the 91 manual for the diagnostic checks for Code 9. Used or rebuilt distributors are available at reasonable prices, if you find the fault is internal to the distributor. I'm pretty sure the sensor is not available as a separate part.

good luck
    1994 Accord EX
    1997 Acura 2.5 TL
    2007 Accord SE
    2001 Toyota Celica
    1999 Subaru Forester

See you down the ROW!

my check engine light only comes on somtimes...Im getting a code of 1...what do I do now? (I think its my oxygen content)

Always best to start your own thread for a new problem. Suggest downloading the 91 Accord manual to help you confirm your code. Include your model/year in your signature.

good luck
    1994 Accord EX
    1997 Acura 2.5 TL
    2007 Accord SE
    2001 Toyota Celica
    1999 Subaru Forester

See you down the ROW!

Hi,

I have a 91 accord im having shifting problems. Its an "AT" what happens is that i start driving and 1st is good but, it skips 2nd and goes to 3rd and then it wont shift to 4th either. I tested it and it flashed 7 times but the ECL staid on the hole time it was flashing. If you could pleas let me know what that means i would appreciate it very much Thank You.

Code 7 is electrical fault in the Shift Control Solenoid Valve A connector, wiring, or solenoid valve assy. Check wiring and connector for obvious damage. Check resistance of solenoid in valve. It should be 12-24 ohms. If open or shorted, replace the solenoid valve.

good luck
    1994 Accord EX
    1997 Acura 2.5 TL
    2007 Accord SE
    2001 Toyota Celica
    1999 Subaru Forester

See you down the ROW!

Thread Information