Thread: Prelude 89 - lost only key - location of key code?

Default Prelude 89 - lost only key - location of key code?

Hi everyone, my wife went and lost the only key we have for her Honda Prelude 89 model and we are trying to sell it at the moment. I know that the key code is most likely going to be on the drivers side barrel but she has also left the window down which doesn't make it easy to access the barrel. I thought i was being clever and removed the boot barrel but apparently whatever code is on that is incorrect.

My question is: Is the key code on the passenger side as well as the drivers side?

And - is the key code definitely on the drivers side barrel? Is there an easy way to see the code without taking the door apart?

Update - after getting the nut and clip off i find that the barrel is connected to the door handle assembly, which is easy to take out except THE WINDOW IS IN THE WAY!! arrrrgg...

Please, can anyone tell me if the code is on the passenger barrel before i go and take another door apart??? And no, i haven't stolen the car. lol I would be happy for someone to come and steal the stupid thing from me though!!

Thanks for you help

Dean
    Last edited by deanowilliams; 10-20-2007 at 07:07 PM.

pm me to make arrangements to have it stolen.
    2008 TSX 6mt navi

Quote Originally Posted by deanowilliams
    Hi everyone, my wife went and lost the only key we have for her Honda Prelude 89 model and we are trying to sell it at the moment. I know that the key code is most likely going to be on the drivers side barrel but she has also left the window down which doesn't make it easy to access the barrel. I thought i was being clever and removed the boot barrel but apparently whatever code is on that is incorrect.

My question is: Is the key code on the passenger side as well as the drivers side?

And - is the key code definitely on the drivers side barrel? Is there an easy way to see the code without taking the door apart?

Update - after getting the nut and clip off i find that the barrel is connected to the door handle assembly, which is easy to take out except THE WINDOW IS IN THE WAY!! arrrrgg...

Please, can anyone tell me if the code is on the passenger barrel before i go and take another door apart??? And no, i haven't stolen the car. lol I would be happy for someone to come and steal the stupid thing from me though!!

Thanks for you help

Dean

alrighty.. im actually a locksmith from NORCAL. here is the pasted info from my key program

Remember the code is the last 4 numbers in a series of numbers and letters.

1) Some ignitions have the code stamped on the outside housing, where the housing grips the column, or along the side of the housing.

2) All door, trunk, and valet lockout cylinders should have a code on them.

3) Most glove box locks have a code on them.

Sometimes the code is stamped so small you will need a magnifying glass to read it.

i hope this helps. the easiest way to get this is my way......

glove box cyl if it is locking

trunk is the way to go

valet lockout cyl is hard to read the code on. lmk if this works out.... after getting the code, dealer should be able to cut a key for $6
    90 Crx HF in the making of another vitara setup!!!
    Vouches HHU : jkm3093, Jirro91
    www.realhomemadeturbo.com

Smile Great work

Thanks for your reply, i have already got the barrel out from the boot and it has a 4 digit code on it but the locksmith i spoke to said that the code wasn't recognised?

I know have a prelude sitting there with the boot and both doors in pieces, i'm just hoping i can put it all back together again! lol

I'm heading home early today to work on it, i will check out the barrel in the glove box and let you know how i go.

Thanks again for your assistance, wish me luck!

what is the code that you got. the codes that i pull up for that year is a code series of

3001 - 4481. please let me know what code you got. i will see if i can pull it up in my software.....
    Last edited by ApexSilver06MR; 03-17-2012 at 07:13 AM.

Thumbs up Sorted

OK, so here is the continuation of the key code situation...

Turns out that if you take a barrel in to a lock smith then the can create a key for you, so here i have totally dismantled both doors trying to get out the barrels to obtain the code and i could have just saved myself the hassle by just using the boot barrel. This is what I did do, now it works fine - i just have to figure out how these doors go back together again.

Now here for the funny part, i managed to find the key after getting one cut this arvo.. !!!!!

It was hiding at the bottom of the windscreen (outside) under the windsceen wiper. Wife then tells me that yes, she did wipe down the car with the towel in the same hand as the key was in. !!!! Murphy's Law...

Code FYI was 3383.

Thanks for your help
    Regards
    Dean

Quote Originally Posted by deanowilliams
    OK, so here is the continuation of the key code situation...

Turns out that if you take a barrel in to a lock smith then the can create a key for you, so here i have totally dismantled both doors trying to get out the barrels to obtain the code and i could have just saved myself the hassle by just using the boot barrel. This is what I did do, now it works fine - i just have to figure out how these doors go back together again.

Now here for the funny part, i managed to find the key after getting one cut this arvo.. !!!!!

It was hiding at the bottom of the windscreen (outside) under the windsceen wiper. Wife then tells me that yes, she did wipe down the car with the towel in the same hand as the key was in. !!!! Murphy's Law...

Code FYI was 3383.

Thanks for your help
    Regards
    Dean

Good to hear man.
    Last edited by ApexSilver06MR; 03-17-2012 at 07:13 AM.

Thread Information