Thread: 1991 Honda Accord Sport Shift (?) Has Problems I guess...

Exclamation 1991 Honda Accord Sport Shift (?) Has Problems I guess...

I own a 1991 Honda Accord... and I have to admit one thing.... OK, so I know nothing really about cars... Not much more than how to drive them and put gas in them... I have a roommate that knows quite a bit and he and one of his friends tells me that the "Sport Shift" feature (The button on the side of the gear selector) is for by some reason I would wish to pseudo-manually drive my car, then I turn it on, start out in 1, then go to 2, D3, and D4.... Not understanding why on earth I would wish to do this when the car I bought was an automatic, I have never turned it on. When the "Sport" feature is activated, it illuminates a green light with an "S" just below the temperature gauge. All of a sudden, one day when I started my car the light was flashing. Even flipping the button on and off didn't affect it. I put it in D4 as I was told to use when normally driving the car and realized that it seemed as if I was driving a manual car in a high gear starting off - it barely rolled, but the engine revved. Now when I start the car sometimes the light comes on and blinks, and sometimes it doesn't. When it is blinking I have to start out in 1, then move up, otherwise it's like driving a manual and not shifting when you're supposed to. When the light doesn't blink, I can drive it normally. Can anyone tell me what this might mean??? Any advice/instruction would be greatly appreciated. Oh yeah, and also, the car sometimes won't start while it's in <P>. Sometimes I have to shift it to <N> and turn the key... Please Help!! Thank you

The blinking light usually indicates an error code. That means that something is wrong with the transmission in some way, most likely. Count the blinks. Long blinks are 10s, short blinks are 1s, and long pauses indicate the end of the code. For example, long-long-short-short-short pause repeat... is code 23... I have no idea what that is, but it can be looked up if necessary.

And for future reference, your friend that knows something about cars... knows NOTHING about cars! There is NEVER a time where you should shift an automatic transmission like a manual. That will destroy the transmission. The sport shift feature (which was discontinued for the 92 model year because it is utterly worthless) will allow the engine to rev higher at partial throttle, thus making for a slightly stronger acceleration. At full throttle, both regular and sport modes shift at the same place.

Honestly, it's worthless. Count out that code, come back here, and someone will help you figure out what's wrong.

And don't listen to your friend anymore!

www.cb7tuner.com - 1990-1993 Honda Accord forum
    www.cd5tuner.com - 1994-1997 Honda Accord forum

I have a 91 accord thats doing the same and some. My "s" light is flashing and my car doesn't want to shift. At first it shifts from 1st to d3 and after you come to a stop, it doesn,t
    want to shift. If I shut the engine off and start it again, it shifts. I pulled the TCM out and opened it up and found a burned transister. I, going to change the TCM and see what happens.

oh just wait till later, you'll have it happening more offten. (at least it did on mine.) you might notice this...happend to mine. .....turn the key on,(not started but on), the check engine light is on....ur hear a click, the check engine light goes off. the car starts. if the check engine light stays on, the car does'nt start. but what you said about the "s" light flashing and the car starting out in high gear....my 90 accord did the exact same thing.

one day, my car kept spitting and spuddering and died in the the intersection and i almost got hit by 4 cars....not good. ended up gving the car away cuz it no longer ran had 198,000 miles on it, and used a qart of oil evey 3 days.

the guy who got my car later on, said...there was a relay that had 2 wires come appart, not sure which ones, but it was under the dash, not the one under the hood. and the car not starting sometimes....the ecu was overheating, never over heated till 198k miles...makes no sense. thats just what he told me. sorry this was not much help.

deevergote, don't know if you remember me or not, but i see ur a mod now...looks like u've come along way and learned alot. good job man.
    when its upside down and buring, you know you've gone to fast.

if its got tits or tires, count on problems. &lt;--very true.

Quote Originally Posted by lilhondacoupe

deevergote, don't know if you remember me or not, but i see ur a mod now...looks like u've come along way and learned alot. good job man.
    Thanks man, yeah I remember you from way back! I'm rarely here anymore... I just kinda check in every few days to make sure people are behaving, and that no grossly inaccurate information is given! I'm usually over at cb7tuner.com

www.cb7tuner.com - 1990-1993 Honda Accord forum
    www.cd5tuner.com - 1994-1997 Honda Accord forum

yup my s light is blinky too. but tranny works fine. does anyone know the codes for the blinks? that would be awesome. thanks if anyone can help!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tbrooks5789
    I own a 1991 Honda Accord... and I have to admit one thing.... OK, so I know nothing really about cars... Not much more than how to drive them and put gas in them... I have a roommate that knows quite a bit and he and one of his friends tells me that the "Sport Shift" feature (The button on the side of the gear selector) is for by some reason I would wish to pseudo-manually drive my car, then I turn it on, start out in 1, then go to 2, D3, and D4.... Not understanding why on earth I would wish to do this when the car I bought was an automatic, I have never turned it on. When the "Sport" feature is activated, it illuminates a green light with an "S" just below the temperature gauge. All of a sudden, one day when I started my car the light was flashing. Even flipping the button on and off didn't affect it. I put it in D4 as I was told to use when normally driving the car and realized that it seemed as if I was driving a manual car in a high gear starting off - it barely rolled, but the engine revved. Now when I start the car sometimes the light comes on and blinks, and sometimes it doesn't. When it is blinking I have to start out in 1, then move up, otherwise it's like driving a manual and not shifting when you're supposed to. When the light doesn't blink, I can drive it normally. Can anyone tell me what this might mean??? Any advice/instruction would be greatly appreciated. Oh yeah, and also, the car sometimes won't start while it's in <P>. Sometimes I have to shift it to <N> and turn the key... Please Help!! Thank you
    hey i had the same problem with my honda .... i got is looked at and there is a computer under the panel on the front passenger side .... when my mechanic looked at the computer it was fried in a few spots ... i got it replaced and that stopped my problem .. just a suggestion so hope it helps

Wink SAME ISSUE

code 7 is i got what i hope its right counting these things aint fun
    transmission is putting out error codes and ive actually figured out after disconnecting the battery terminal and tapping it till i hear a click , the issue with light goes away drives and shifts fine for sometimes a few hours days even once went 3 weeks before i had to "reset " it again , im at a loss here
    im about to sell it 2000.00 in PA anyone interested lol

Red face Help me

i have a 1991 Honda Accord and for a couple of weeks I was having problems moving it out of park, also when i crank up my "s" light would come on for a min and then go off. Some days it would do it and others i would have to wait like 5-10 mins before it will move. Last week i was stuck at a drive thru ATM because my car would not move AT ALL. Finally my uncle came and took my key and stuck it in the shift lock besides the gear.Well after that I went to a machanic and he said i would need a new automatic shift solenoid. Well honda doesn't make it anymore so i had to find one on another car. I did, and got it replaced. It worked for that day, and now it doesn't. Plus my "s" light is blinking frequently now. What am I to do??

i have heard that the TCU...transmission control unit has a fault. The circuit board may have a leaking capacitor and a burnt transistor. The tcu is located behind the passenger side kick panel. the easiest way to find out if this is your problem is to simply disconnect the negative battery terminal and take out the tcu. see if the transistor is burnt. If it is...usually the capacitor is leaking too. go to radio shack or a hobby store and pick these parts up for cheap. This job is for someone that knows there way around a circuit board and knows how to solider.

Thread Information