Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: d15b cams

Default d15b cams

hi guys i recently installed a d15b (jpsec) head to my d16y7 block but now i want to take it ot another whole new level ......CAMS. i have no idea on what cams will fit and what wont fit please help thanks

simple, just run a search for aftermarket cam gears for the D series engine. you should be able to find lots of options. as to what brand to get i can't help with that, probably the other guy will be able to.
    R.I.P MOM. I'LL SURELY MISS AND ALWAYS LOVE YOU.
    Fast + Good= Not Cheap
    Fast + Cheap= Not Good
    Good + Cheap= Not Fast

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2149169 SOLD

96 EJ6 D16 Automatic OUT
    96 EJ6 B16B engine and tranny IN

umm are we in the same page here or what i was asking for CAMS not cam gears. thanks for the help though well just in case ur wondering mines AEM tru-time cam gears once again thanks

i'm sure you have an obd1 head, right?
    if so you caqn use any cam(notice, there no s, hence, only one cam) designed for the d16z6 as it is the same exact head. the jdm d15b comes with a more aggressive camshaft(comparable to the zex/comp 59300 aka stage 2 cam) than the one found in the d16z6. this was done to get the same amount of output from a smaller displacement motor.

if you plan on using a stock ecu, i recommend the crower stage 2 camshaft. if you want to go bigger than that, crower stage 3(with an apex'i power fc to help control the idle). keep in mind that any cam you decide to use will need upgraded valvesprings & retainers so you don't experience any valve float. if you are not prepared to upgrade, leave the stock d15b cam in there.

if you need any more help, let me know.
    ~ 2001 Silverstone Metallic Honda S2000

Quote Originally Posted by EXCellR8 View Post
    my little rod broke off

yup, pretty sure mimik covered it
    :'96 Honda Prelude SI - Sold
    ::'93 Honda Civic CX, built and boosted on 14 PSI - Sold
    :::'91 Acura Integra GS - New whip. ~New photo shoot to come!

oh sorry bout the "S" my fingers kinda slipped haha....well if so i get the crower stage 2 cams do u think i will need to upgrade anything else? so its true that u can use the camshaft on the d16z6 and oh yeah the head is obd1 which i got a conversion harness to obd2 and the ecu is stock but chipped so rev limiter removed

^^ yes if you go anything higher than Stage I you need to upgrade the springs and the retainers at least.
    follow MiMiK's advise he knows his shit about the Crower and the Zex and all that cam shit, he had all of it.

check out Crower.com it actually has the kit and everything that you need....
    PS if your gonna do all this head work you might as well just go ahead save a few hundred dollars and get it ported and polished...infact i wouldnt even do the cam personally without a port and polish

alrite kul.....but port polish already done but i dont have cams thats all and here port polish dont come cheap man....so d16z6 and the d15b head the same aftermarket cam then huh? brand wise what do u think is the best i had advice to get those web cams

crower all the way. they make the most aggressive cams.
    so lets recap:
    1) port & polish the head.
    2) port match the intake manifold at the runners(make sure you are using a D16Y8 intake manifold. it flows the best out of all the oem sohc manifolds).
    3) get an oem throttle body from any b-series engine(make sure map sensor and tps sensors are in the same place on the tb). they are 60mm as opposed to the puny 56mm on sohc civics. the type r uses a 62mm, though. stick with a b16 or b18. it'll be cheaper. usually about $70 or less if you look hard enough. also make sure you have the intake manifold port matched to the throttle body.
    4) crower stage 2 or 3 cam with upgraded valve springs & retainers. don't get the crower stage 3 UNLESS you are willing the shell out the cash for an apex'i pfc... the idle will be VERY rough with the cam and the pfc has a feature to help smooth it out. the stage 2 is not as bad but still far more aggressive than stock. you will feel it as well as hear it. If you use the stage 3 you MUST port the head. that cam has a lot of lift & duration. the stock head doesn't allow enough air flow.
    5) 3 angle valve job.
    6) tune the bitch.
    7) d16y8 injectors. they flow enough for about 160whp on a sohc. unless you are using a crower stage 3 and using high compression pistons(i'll get into this if you really want me to) then you don't need it. if you want a little more piece of mind, there's an h22 prelude(if i'm not mistaken) that uses 270cc/min injectors. i dont remember which one, though. i'm pretty sure d16y7 injectors were 190cc/min. the d16y8 injectors flow 240cc/min. if you want to use any other types of injectors, make sure your clips work for them or you have the right clips for the injectors.... and make sure they are saturated(high impendence).

i can go on forever, but this is what i see necessary. i had this setup in my heavy ass 96 ex coupe(2515 lbs on a full talk of gas... not including driver.) and the car was very quick(for a sohc) and tons of fun. gas mileage wasn't the greatest because i'd punch it all the time.... easily a mid-high 14 second car as it sat... god, was it fun... if you need any more help, let me know.

my little rod broke off

also get an ex transmission... that should have been mod #1. it has the best gearing available(without ripping the bitch up and throwing in zc or infinitude gears) for a sohc.

my little rod broke off

awe dammmmn thats sound sweet man thanks for the help and oh yeah i dont really wanna go all the way cuz imma let go of the car maybe this march either sell it if nobody wants it then imma give it to lil sis hahahah i just wanted to do this for love of cars...........but hey thanks i think ill go with that then since its been tested and done b4. but isnt y8 injectors will push in too much fuel and CEL will on

not if you have it tuned. and it won't throw a CEL, it'll just run like shit until you tune it.

my little rod broke off

oh-kay... im on it got a hold or crower but damn theyre charging me an arm and a leg for the shipping.....but i got a hold of these akmee cams for a deal i dont know yet though what you guys think bout those

akmee??? never heard of it... what are the specs? duration? lift?

my little rod broke off

eh, i dunno. the specs of the crower stage 2 & akmee type s are almost identical...
    in my case, i just trust the name crower before akmee... i watched the video they have on there, and my car with about the same mods was that quick. i didn't hear if the idle sounded like mine because i don't have sound on this computer(i'm at work)... forget the fact that i was shifting at 7500 as opposed to his 8200rpm... so i drop out out my power band... and i had to LOWER my vtec crossover so i can stay in the powerband when i shift because sohc trannies have horrible gearing... and i wouldn't have dared to go anywhere near 8500 rpm because y7's and y8's are notorious for oil pump failure... i was afraid of my oil pump failing.. which it did anyway... i'm rambling..
    the final decision is really up to you..

my little rod broke off

i have a d15b with an aftermarket cam in it and i keep hearing a knocking sound when driving
    what could that be??

so umm type s and the stage 2 crower are almost alike in spec .... what if i take it to another level and go with the type r one........... and about that knocking noise i dont know what the hell that is..................check ur tap-its thats my guess

Quote Originally Posted by DjCeez
    i have a d15b with an aftermarket cam in it and i keep hearing a knocking sound when driving
    what could that be??
    i hope you adjusted ther valves properly after you had the cam installed.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    so umm type s and the stage 2 crower are almost alike in spec .... what if i take it to another level and go with the type r one........... and about that knocking noise i dont know what the hell that is..................check ur tap-its thats my guess
    keep in mind that a more agressive cam affects driveability. even the stage 2 bothered me at times but that feeling went away when i'd run through the gears. the idle will be pretty rough with the type r cam...

if you look at their project remix, that was basically my car... except mine was a coupe and weighed a bit more...and my suspension was more agressive... i can't to buy a shell so i can get my hands on another sohc...

my little rod broke off

looking at the crower stage 3 vs the akmee type r... they're also almost identical.. people have made good pwoer on the stage 3 with high compression(160+ whp), but tuning is key.

make sure you tune your car after you have this cam installed...

my little rod broke off

thanks mimik.......... i went with the brand that i guess is most common to everyone CROWER baby stage 2.... so got it and i heard something about the teeth being half a tooth off on the cam gears is it true or not because in my AEM haha box says d-series so they all should be the same rite please correct me if im wrong

you should have got the cam for the d16z6, NOT the d16y8. the cam gear should also be for the d16z6. crower makes one for the d16y8 and aem makes a cam gear for the d16y8. they are different!!! you can use the d16y8 stuff on a d16z6 but like you said, the timing will be off by half a tooth. not sure if it's advanced or retarded, though.

my little rod broke off

so is there a different in performance between z6 and y8 cam.......and for the cam gear just dont mix up the two right y8cam y8 cam gear and z6 cam z6 cam gear correct me if im wrong

correct... well, the camshaft you can mix up... but if you are using a y8 head make sure you use a y8 gear and same with the z6(z6 head, have to use a z6 gear). if you swap the cams, the difference is half a tooth.
    and performance is the same. like i said, unless you're upgrading your valvetrain, leave the head as is. the d15b has the most agressive cam that can be used with the stock valvetrain.

my little rod broke off

Thread Information