Thread: do i need a wideband

Default do i need a wideband

i was about to get a tune,but ive been reading and my question is should i buy a wideband first then get a tune or can i get a tune and get a wideband later?is the tuner goin to be able to tune it without a wideband?oh 1 more question i heard that the aem wideband cant work with uberdata is that true?thanks for all inputs

Trained in the art of psi Krazed's Avatar
    My Boost technique is strong, you are no match!

absolutely you need a wideband! one of the best things you could possibly spend money on when it comes to a turbo vehicle. A lot of the time the dyno wideband is not as acurate as and AEM, or 02 based wideband. Always safe to have. Also you will get difrent readings on the street vs a dyno, due to the diffrence in load. A Wideband is perfect for making sure the load diffrence is not putting you in any danger.

And an AEM wideband works independently from uberdata.

its good to have one but u dont need it.......but i highly recommend it so u can keep a eye on your air fuel ratios

usually a tuner would have one if u dont so he can tun and adjust your a/fr's

Quote Originally Posted by buklae
    its good to have one but u dont need it.......but i highly recommend it so u can keep a eye on your air fuel ratios

usually a tuner would have one if u dont so he can tun and adjust your a/fr's
    the only reason you wouldnt need one is if you dont tune yourself.

If you're not gona tune yourself, then dont run the car, with all the stuff on, until it is tuned.

just a word of adivse. Just because your afr's are good, doesnt mean everything else is.

CB7Tuner Wiki
    PGMFI.org Wiki
    Want to know more about ecu tuning/chipping?

***I now provide ecu chipping services***
    PM me for details and prices

if you have an apex'i auto timer, you can buy the innovate lc-1 and hook up the auto timer to that. It is capable of using a wideband o2 sensor. I got one to keep an eye on my a:f ratio.

The tuner usually has the wideband.
    Robert

RCautoworks
    7434 w 90 st
    Bridgeview, Illinois
    708 599 5884

Turbos manifols for a great price

I agree with a few of the above comments. If you are going to tune it yourself then you need one. If not the tuner should/will have one. If he doesn't have access to one then find a new tuner. If you don't tune it yourself then it is not necessary unless you want to know what your AFR is. I don't have one because my car is tuned and nothing is really going to change for me to need to know what my AFR is all the time.

A few of the statements, obviously from krazed and also the last three make sense. the ones in the middle are completely dumb and the guys need to work on their spelling/typing quite a bit.

i personally have a turbo vehicle, and decided to buy the aem uego before getting tuned. this will allow the tuner to just jump in and start tuning, without having to hook up their own wideband, and will also allow me to keep a constant eye on afr's during my breakin period.

another gauge that i opted for was the egt gauge. another good safeguard in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by FknTkn
    It sucks and as much as I hate to admit it, Batman was right
    ORLY???

Default lean

It would be a lot easer to tune and a safty line. So that you don't run to lean. I would just suck it up and bye it. Because you will want to shoot your self if you blow up that motor.

Wow is't detonation a great thing

NOT !!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by jdmfool; 08-03-2007 at 12:05 AM. Reason: not the right word

I know this is an old thread but Im fairly new and nearing the end of my build.I just got my hondata and plan on tuning myself.Is the basic lc-1 compatible with the hondata?Thanks guys.Also feal free to give opinions on the hodata s300 and smanager software.P.S did anyone else through up in their mouth a lil when they received that $600 lil blue box....I did...

^After reading your thread in the teg forum, I gotta say, tuning yourself is a terrible idea for you.

Trained in the art of psi Krazed's Avatar
    My Boost technique is strong, you are no match!

The benefit of having a wideband is not only being able to tune, but to keep an eye on the most important part of your vehicle. You have an oil gauge to tell you when something is wrong, as well as a cel, in my opinion a wideband gauge on a turbo car is just as important. It is always good to know exactly whats going on with your vehicle.

Thread Information