Thread: Best way to remove Civic stock stereo?

Default Best way to remove Civic stock stereo?

Just bought a 2002 Civic and need to get that horrible stock system out of there pronto! Any tips on how to go about it?
    Last edited by Batman™; 04-29-2006 at 06:20 AM.
    New and Proud owner of a 2002 Honda Civic EX

take the stock head unit and speakers out and replace them? also, this too is in the wrong area. we have a car audio section, which i'll now be moving this thread to.

Quote Originally Posted by FknTkn
    It sucks and as much as I hate to admit it, Batman was right
    ORLY???

Yah I see that now. At first I was told to post in the civic forum so here I am. Then it got narrowed down to audio, ect ect.
    I'll make it eventually.

The question I was asking is HOW to get the stock system out of there. Looks like the whole dash is pretty flush. I'm not trying to pry it out with a screwdriver here.

if it's like older head units, which i'm not sure on, you should be able to get a headunit removal tool just about anywhere. i think even walmart carries them. otherwise, the trim for the dash has to come out.

ORLY???

okay... from what i've found, it looks like you have to remove the trim ring, and unscrew the original head unit. then get a new install kit like this one. http://www.audiooutfitter.com/store/99-7860.html of course, you'll also want a vehicle specific wiring harness.

ORLY???

Word. We will figure it out I am sure. That is for my fiance to deal with mosty. I was just trying to help him out. Wish I had a camera so I could show you what it looks like.

its easy, the 2 door and 4 door are diffrent. the trim arounf the shiter comes out then the are underneather the readio has to come out, 2 8mm hold it in. then the whole radio console comes out. its a pain. then you have to completlly disassymble that. have fun.

also radio removal tool BATMAN,
    some ford, and usually eurpean cars. no honda has ever had radio removal tools! fyi!
    97 Civic Dx B18 **RIP**(12/24/04)
    96 BMW 328is**RIP** (2/17/2006)
    95 Dakar BMW M3

eh. i couldn't remember. i used something like a radio removal tool to take out my stock head unit in my 92 civic. the stock head unit from that year had two small holes on each side, and i do remember using a tool on it that i bought at either walmart or radio shack to get it out.

ORLY???

Man Speedster seems to know what he/she is talking about.....just wish I could understand what the hell they are saying.

The trim around the shiter??? Shifter??? The radio is no where near the shifter.
    Then the are???... wtf? I'm not even going to bother with the rest of the mess.

Thanks guys...I think.

what he was saying: you need to take off the outer trim around the stock headunit. then there are a couple screws holding the stock head unit assembly into the dash. after you get that out, you need to add in an aftermarket trim kit. it'll screw into the stock holes. then you need to buy a harness adapter. hook up the wires off the new head unit to the harness adapter, which will have labeled wires to make it easier. then plug the harness into the stock piece. put the new head unit into the trim kit, and reinstall the trim.

ORLY???

Things are so much easier to understand when they are in english!

Damnit i was so excited when the home page of that site popped up! But they only go to civics of 2000. I have a 2002

Thanks though!

ya the lower section of the radio, not the actual radio trim itself. needs to be removed b/c there are 2 8mm screws holding the radio in. Then once that is removed then the whole radio/ac section comes out. which is a bitch sometimes. then you have to take the whole thing apart and put in a dash kit and wire up a harness.
    97 Civic Dx B18 **RIP**(12/24/04)
    96 BMW 328is**RIP** (2/17/2006)
    95 Dakar BMW M3

Thread Information