PDA

View Full Version : calling out smart computer people - help a brother out

El Jefe
05-27-2002, 04:46 AM
ok my dsl last night died on me, im using a 56k atm.

the problem is when i press 'connect' - it hangs and reads 'connection to WAN (PPPoE)' or something like that.

i have called my ISP and they assured me the problem was at my end and ran through the procedure to reinstall my network card and modem. This did not fix the problem.

However, i noticed that once my network card was uninstalled, a prompt would come up saying that 'thugs.musirc.com' wants to connect. another one is 'thugs.servemp3.com'

i assume that someone has hacked into my computer and put this gay shit on there. My question is:

how do i remove this? i cant find it on my computer using the 'search' feature looking for those terms "thugs/musirc/servemp3" and i have cleaned about 4 registry entrys relating to "thugs/musirc and servemp3"

i dont know how to remove this biatch. somebody help

redVTEC92
05-27-2002, 05:43 AM
Sounds to me like you were running DSL with no Home firewall type thing to protect you. Very naughty :( You need to temporarily unistall your DSL client, and reinstall it. If you are using Enternet, as I am, its buggy software, and can crash quite easily. Concerning the other problem, a virus scanner would be able to find the infected files and clan them, if not it will just quarantine them, if it does that, you can delete them manually. If you need a virus scanner or a home firewall, just message me, and Ill hook you up

El Jefe
05-27-2002, 06:17 AM
thanks man, but i forgot to mention i ran a virus check today. picked up a trojan, a worm and an 'o dropper'. all of which was removed. i also removed any suspicious or old programs i had forgotten about using the 'add/remove software' feature found in control panel.

and i was using the default windows XP firewall on my dsl connection :(

i dont know how to remove this 'thugs..etc' i think its a program or a process but i dont think it is a virus as such.

redVTEC92
05-27-2002, 07:33 AM
thanks man, but i forgot to mention i ran a virus check today. picked up a trojan, a worm and an 'o dropper'. all of which was removed. i also removed any suspicious or old programs i had forgotten about using the 'add/remove software' feature found in control panel.

and i was using the default windows XP firewall on my dsl connection :(

i dont know how to remove this 'thugs..etc' i think its a program or a process but i dont think it is a virus as such.

Windows default firewall sucks ass. Check the task manager to see if the things are running there. Also check the program files and WINNT folders, theyll prolly be there

JDMFrAnkEnStEin
05-27-2002, 09:27 AM
WIndows Xp Firewall dose suck, i would use personal tiny firewall, or norton firewall, or somthing... :D

Quad-Damage
05-27-2002, 01:22 PM
I have never been hack, if all else fails format and it will fix eveything just do a low level format, and load eveything back up. Always Remeber to back up so formating isn't a big thing

epy
05-27-2002, 03:32 PM
First off I was going to say no one hacked you untill you ran your virus check and found a those 3 programs. Pretty much it seems like your going all that you can.

drew
05-28-2002, 12:09 AM
heh.. quite typical that you shouldn't rely on your unfriendly computer/networking illiterate dsl deskworms..

unfortuanately i can't provide to much help for you, but i can tell you that both of the hosts that tried connecting to you point to the same ip..

[23:01] *** Looking up thugs.musirc.com
-
[23:01] *** Resolved thugs.musirc.com to 24.79.107.32
-
[23:02] *** Looking up 24.79.107.32
-
[23:02] *** Resolved 24.79.107.32 to h24-79-107-32.vc.shawcable.net
-
[23:02] *** Looking up thugs.servemp3.com
-
[23:02] *** Resolved thugs.servemp3.com to 24.79.107.32
-
[23:02] *** Looking up 24.79.107.32
-
[23:02] *** Resolved 24.79.107.32 to h24-79-107-32.vc.shawcable.net

therefore, it wasn't a network scan or one of the many typical connection attempts/echos/etc a user recieves throughout the day.. so perhaps somebody had trojaned you and was trying to connection throug a dns subdomain.. kind of stupid if you ask me..

anyyyyyyyyhow.. i doubt that's related to your dsl going down, it's probably because of some lame problem and you'll probably end up formatting to fix it..something alike this had happened to me before, i reformatted and found everything to be working just fine..

but that's me. ;\

epy
05-28-2002, 01:20 AM
if your gonna make a back up, make sure you don't back up what your problem was. Then you would have the same problem again. Sence you don't know what the problem is, looks like a clean install is instore.

El Jefe
05-28-2002, 05:28 AM
you guys were pretty much on the right track. i was going to reformat the bitch this morning but luckily, my ISP rang up and said they fixed the problem. It was there fault in the first place the bastards. :x

Strider
05-28-2002, 11:09 AM
BlackIce Defender is a very good firewall to use.

epy
05-28-2002, 02:36 PM
^ its easy to find also (d/ling)

redVTEC92
05-29-2002, 04:49 AM
hey Jefe if you want Blackice, Zonealarm or Norton Personal Firewall pm me, or anyone else for that matter. Better yet, AIM me